recommend some stratocaster pickups

Willyguitar

• Members

I have a rather nice but quite beaten up Squier that i found at a car boot sale, which plays brilliantly, is light and resonant... but the pickups have basically broken (pole pieces on all of them have stopped functioning). Rather than go to the effort and expense of fixing the existing pickups, I'd rather look for replacements. I want relatively fat and perhaps a bit higher than normal output if possible, but not icepicky. Given that this is a Squier, budget should be reasonable - not boutique, but willing to go up to mid level ones...

Any suggestions?

• Members
Squier Classic Vibes are thought by many to be using Tonerider pickups and have gotten good reviews.

They are Toneriders, and they are good.

I have two Tonerider sets: the excellent City Limits set in my MiM strat (kind of a Texas Special style, with a vintage wound neck and middle, and an overwound -- but not overly hot -- bridge), and the lovely Classic Blues set that is OEM in my Classic Vibe 60s. Very nice after getting height adjusted (as all strat pickups require).

Floyd Rosenbomb asks:

How about Rose pickups?

Anyone use them?

I don't have any myself, but a coworker built a sweet all maple/mahogany strat and, on my recommendation, bought a set of Rose Robustas. That guitar is great playing and sounds super ballsy, but with plenty of that strat glassiness.

I recently played at a jam garage with a different coworker and his friends, and one of the guys had Squier that he'd done some mod to and basically made into a Jimmy Vaughan Tex Mex partscaster, with the Tex Mex pickups. He'd replaced all the electronics (pots, wires, caps, jack, etc) with higher quality stuff, and it was probably one of the 6-7 nicest sounding strats I've ever played. I expected the Tex Mex pickups to sound harsh and nasty, but they sounded great: chimey and full when clean, and gorgeously raunchy with drive.

• Members
I want relatively fat and perhaps a bit higher than normal output if possible, but not icepicky. Given that this is a Squier, budget should be reasonable - not boutique, but willing to go up to mid level ones...

Any suggestions?

Since you are in the UK, and you are on a budget, a locally sourced pickup set is the best choice.

Below are some very decent and quite affordable AlNiCo V Strat pickups -- from Vanson, Tonerider, and Wilkinson -- that probably all have free shipping:

• Moderators

Willy, take a look through these, try and spend £50, below £30 is very very average and won't really be an upgrade, even if they do have vintage waxed push back wire (Wilkinson):

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Single-Coil-Pickups-Suitable-for-Stratocaster-s/1854.htm

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_033.htm

• Members
Willy, take a look through these, try and spend £50, below £30 is very very average and won't really be an upgrade, even if they do have vintage waxed push back wire (Wilkinson):

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Single-Coil-Pickups-Suitable-for-Stratocaster-s/1854.htm

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_033.htm

Most of them seem to be sub £30 - or are you suggesting for the whole set?

• Members
I have a rather nice but quite beaten up Squier that i found at a car boot sale, which plays brilliantly, is light and resonant... but the pickups have basically broken (pole pieces on all of them have stopped functioning). Rather than go to the effort and expense of fixing the existing pickups, I'd rather look for replacements. I want relatively fat and perhaps a bit higher than normal output if possible, but not icepicky. Given that this is a Squier, budget should be reasonable - not boutique, but willing to go up to mid level ones...

Any suggestions?

Tone Riders

Bill Lawrence

GFS

Dragon Fire Pickups

used Dimarzios

used Seymour Duncans

Carvin

• Moderators

I'm a little OT here Ratae, but did that RG work out for you?

Man, I've just had no time for guitars for a while, I'm very much in bass mode, winding down the bikes workshop to switch to autumn/early winter guitar mode, while at the same time trying to set part of the shop up for building a boat:)

Although in fairness, when I have been picking up a guitar, it's my Memphis 63 RI 335

Archived