Higher string action for better tone?

stormin1155

• Members

Take a look at the video and notice how much the strings slap and flop around... it's not like a neat circular arc. It's a wonder we don't get constant fret buzz!

My theory (also shared by some people that know a lot more than me) is that when strummed or picked hard, the strings actually do contact the frets, and even though you don't hear an audible buzz, it has a muting effect so that the note doesn't ring out or sustain as well. Some players prefer higher string action for that reason. What is your experience with tone/sustain in relation to string action?

[video=youtube;bRUIspYy1PI]

• Members

Excluding fret buzz, I still hear a major difference in tone with my acoustic. The higher the action, the more bass and general good tone. Lower the action and it gets thin and tinny. It is very obvious but not so much on the electric. I mean, you can hear it but can dial the guitar in to compensate.

• Members

It makes sense up to a point. On an acoustic, higher action also means greater break angle at the saddle, where it matters more than on an electric. It's also a given that fret buzz robs sustain by bleeding off energy from the strings in the form of friction. Higher action also affects intonation, requiring greater compensation since the strings have to stretch more. In general, it's a balancing act between tone and playability. I have the action set fairly high (for an electric) on my Strat to avoid fret buzz. I can't say whether that makes it sound better or not.

• Members
It makes sense up to a point. On an acoustic' date=' [b']higher action also means greater break angle[/b] at the saddle, where it matters more than on an electric. It's also a given that fret buzz robs sustain by bleeding off energy from the strings in the form of friction. Higher action also affects intonation, requiring greater compensation since the strings have to stretch more. In general, it's a balancing act between tone and playability. I have the action set fairly high (for an electric) on my Strat to avoid fret buzz. I can't say whether that makes it sound better or not.

It's been my experience that break angle is overstated and does not affect tone as much as many people think. Of course, this from personal experience and experimentation. All you require is 10-12%... Anything after that is overkill.

• Members

String height, pickup height, relief and level frets all affect how much string slap there is. For me its also a matter of feel and being able to bend strings properly. When strings are too low or the neck is too flat, the strings get really hard to bend. Too high and its fatiguing to hold down barre chords for long periods and getting good overall intonation difficult. If you start with factory specs its usually close to being right but each instrument needs to be tweaked to get its optimal tone and playability. Anything beyond that is personal preference.

• Members
Proper intonation up the frets and playability are more important to me than avoiding any and all string slap (like how you put that WRG). I'd tell you that nut material is more important than string height for tone on open as well as fretted notes' date=' but you wouldn't believe me.[/quote']

On freted notes? Youre right, I wouldn't believe you.

• Members
Proper intonation up the frets and playability are more important to me than avoiding any and all string slap (like how you put that WRG). I'd tell you that nut material is more important than string height for tone on open as well as fretted notes' date=' but you wouldn't believe me.[/quote']

Not so sure the normal materials matter as much as the nut height does. Settings are all interdependent on one another. With a higher nut the string need to bend more to reach a fret, which causes sharper intonation, which means you have to lengthen the string to keep it intonated and longer strings have more tension and tend to slap the frets less, additional tension may create more relief so the height is affected.

A certain amount of string slap isn't bad so long as it doesn't clip the string dynamics too much or cause notes to buzz. For me I like to have some dynamics when I dig in harder with the pick. Too low and the string volume is capped my fret slap. The fret slap acts like a governor prevents the strings from getting louder.

Many of my guitars have been refretted with the highest super jumbo frets I could find. I like that for that Fluted neck feel so when I bend notes I have very little fretboard resistance. If the height is too high the strings tend to bend sharp at the frets too easily and I'm having to concentrate on my finger pressure too much. Too low and its difficult to get solid hammer ons and pull offs, and again, dynamics are restricted.

Right between the two is that sweet spot that unique to each instrument which allows the best of both worlds unique to each player that provides, good dynamics and maximum playability.

• Members

If you have been in electronics for 87 years, played in 532 bands and recorded 847 more you would know the following is true. Vaginal itching is an uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptom that is often caused by irritating substances, treatable and preventable infections, or menopause. In rare cases, itching may occur due to stress or can be a sign of vulvar cancer. Your gynecologist can determine the cause of your itching through an examination and testing. He or she will then be able to recommend appropriate treatments for this uncomfortable symptom.

Through good hygiene and a healthy diet, you can avoid most causes of vaginal itching.

[h=2]Causes of Vaginal Itching[/h] Itching in the vagina and the surrounding area, which is called the vulva, may be caused by a minor issue, but it may also indicate a more serious problem that needs to be treated. Most commonly, itching is caused by some type of irritant or by an infection. In rare cases, it may be the result of cancer.

[h=3]Irritants[/h] Various chemicals to which you are exposed can cause vaginal itching. They may also cause an allergic reaction that creates itching or a rash over many parts of your body, including the vagina. Common chemical irritants include soaps, bubble baths, feminine sprays, douches, topical contraceptives, ointments, detergents, and fabric softeners.

If you have urinary incontinence (inability to control your bladder) or are diabetic, your urine may also cause vaginal irritation and itching.

[h=3]Skin Diseases[/h] Some skin diseases, like eczema, can cause dry, itchy, and/or blistered skin. At times, outbreaks of these symptoms can occur on the vagina as well.

[h=3]Yeast Infection[/h] Yeast is normally present in the vagina, but when its growth goes unchecked, an uncomfortable infection can result. This infection type often occurs after taking a course of antibiotics because doing so destroys useful bacteria as well as the unhealthy bacteria. These useful bacteria are needed to keep yeast growth in check. Yeast infections are fairly common and are characterized by a lumpy, white discharge along with a burning and itching sensation.

[h=3]Vaginitis[/h] Another common cause of itching is an infection called vaginitis, also called vulvovaginitis. When the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina is disrupted, this infection can result. Vaginitis symptoms include itching, irritation, an inflamed and red vulvar area, discharge, and odor.

[h=3]Trichomoniasis[/h] Another less common infection that can cause vaginal itching is trichomoniasis. This infection is caused by a parasite, and is typically spread through sexual intercourse. Additional symptoms of this infection include a green or yellow vaginal discharge and pain when urinating.

[h=3]Menopause[/h] Women who are going through menopause or who have already done so are more at risk for vaginal itching. This is because of the reduction of estrogen levels, which leads to vaginal dryness. This dryness can cause itching and irritation if left untreated.

[h=3]Stress[/h] Physical and emotional stress can cause itching and irritation, although this cause is not very common. However, stress may weaken your immune system, leaving you more prone to the infections that cause itching.

[h=3]Less Common Causes[/h] In rare cases, vaginal itching may be a symptom of precancerous skin of the vulva. This is another reason why yearly gynecologist checkups are essential.

Pinworm infections can also cause vaginal itching, although this infection is mostly seen in children. The eggs of the pinworm can be spread through contact, but also by sharing bedding or clothing. Children may also unintentionally consume the eggs, which results in infection. Other symptoms of pinworm infection include extreme itching around the anus and an inability to sleep due to the itching. In extreme cases, the individual may lose his or her appetite or may lose weight. If you suspect that you or your child has this infection, see your doctor immediately. There are medications that can kill the pinworms.

But I bend, a lot!

Archived