strap lock?

papaschtroumpf

• Members

Almost dropped my guitar today. I used Fender rubber strap locks (think Grolsch washers without the beer and fender branded) but I found one broken on the floor. The rubber has split down the center line, almost I'd the fabrication process left a seam there. So what strap locks do you recommend? I was hoping not to have to mess with guitar's hardware, I'm worried about exchanging the pins, but my other cheapskate idea is to use a metal washer which would require I unscrew the pins anyway. I have only one guitar (I do happen to have several cheap straps), so quick change is not big on my list. I'd do want something reusable as I'm thinking about getting a wider strap in the future.

• Members

almost dropped my strat once, next day i went to buy schaller strap locks, since than i have them on all of my electrics, never looked back

its 15-20$ investment, where you never bother to drop a guitar again

minor downsides:

the screw of the schallers is mostly a bit smaller than the standard pin screws you need to remove -> toothpick and wood glue and everything is fine

the schallers become lose over time (the part mounted on the straps), you need to check them from time to time, and tighten them up again.

if maintained regulary, they are worth every penny

• Members

I only use strap locks on my Paul For others I use a washer on the end of the button that's just large enough to fit through the strap hole. I usually have to use a longer screw as well. It works just as well as a strap lock and only costs $1 for a washer and screw.

• Members

I use dunlop strap locks on all my guitars... IMO just easier to use the same brand for everything (That way I can use one strap for multiple guitars).

Gotta use different straps for guitars that have the mount on the horn vs. ones with mounts behind the neck though...

• Members

I use Schallers on a few of my guitars. I'll admit they're a bit of a hassle to install and maintain, but I like the piece of mind. Did I say MAINTAIN? Yes, I did...straplocks are not failproof. The nut holding the straplock bits on your guitar strap can come loose, so check it before putting on your guitar. The strap button can also work loose over time, check those too. The little plunger pin can use a drop of oil every 5 years.

• Members

The new screws were a little thinner, as expected from my research, so I used a mix of wood glue and sawdust as I have done in the past for stripped screw holes (not on guitars though). I guess that's similar to the superglue+toothpick.

The strap to guitar connection is further away from the body of the guitar, which I don't care for on the back of the neck joint button, but I guess I'll get used to it. I must say that without so many people saying they love/trust those, I'd be pretty nervous. I think may put some loctite on the nut or I'll be paranoid that it'll come loose.

I also hadn't realized the religious war between Schaller and Dunlop!

• Members

I use a 5 cent washer from Home Depot. Smaller than the large end of the strap button but larger than the smaller end. Strap goes under washer.

Of course you can't unhook it but I use $5 Ernie Ball nylon straps. Each guitar has its own strap.

Those $5 Ernie Ball straps are good. Clapton uses them.

• Members
I use a 5 cent washer from Home Depot. Smaller than the large end of the strap button but larger than the smaller end. Strap goes under washer.

Of course you can't unhook it but I use $5 Ernie Ball nylon straps. Each guitar has its own strap. . . .

Similar to my suggestion of an E clip except you can slide it out and unhook the strap. Actually, I could do the same thing you do. My "good" Ibanez acoustic, my Alvarez RD10 acoustic tuned in Nashville, my Strat, and my bass all have their own straps so I could attach them more-or-less permanently. I don't though because I've never had a strap come off.

• Members

Similar to my suggestion of an E clip except you can slide it out and unhook the strap. Actually, I could do the same thing you do. My "good" Ibanez acoustic, my Alvarez RD10 acoustic tuned in Nashville, my Strat, and my bass all have their own straps so I could attach them more-or-less permanently. I don't though because I've never had a strap come off.

When your acoustic goes out of tune do you have to go back to Nashville for a tune-up?

• Members
When your acoustic goes out of tune do you have to go back to Nashville for a tune-up?

Fortunately no, since it's over 300 miles one way from St. Louis. FWIW, "Nashville" tuning involves tuning the 6th through 3rd strings an octave higher than normal, like the octaves on a 12-string. I set up the guitar that way to experiment with the alternate tuning but I don't really play it much.

Archived