Underrated band, at least from my accounts.

billybilly

• Members

LOL.....funny how this comes up.....yesterday I was on an April Wine kick......

This is my favorite AW song...

[YOUTUBE]XrEOyYWkdWc[/YOUTUBE]

They were always the kind of band where you heard their tunes on classic rock radio and said "I like that....who is that"....and after about the 10th time you said "holly crap April Wine had a lot of good songs!"

another one I really like...

[YOUTUBE]caJiUCih-Hs[/YOUTUBE]

Love the video for I Like to Rock.....Le Studio out side of montreal......you can see some of the exact same views in Rush's videos for Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Vital Signs.

• Members

I'll also return the favor by presenting a couple Aussie bands that never seemed to do anything outside their own country but probably deserved a little more recognition.

First up:

Powderfinger

This song in particular for me is pretty special.....circling Australia in my car.....this kind of became my personal Australian national anthem...

[YOUTUBE]gl_FUVz2trE[/YOUTUBE]

And going farther back to the 80's.....some Aussies I met turned me on to these guys....

[YOUTUBE]EBQCbPbPS8E[/YOUTUBE]

That was a pretty great album they put out even if it sounds a little dated these days. (course everything old sounds dated....so...I'm not sure what that even means.)

I suppose there was only room for one INXS...haha....

• Members

I used to play Get Ready for Love in a cover band in 1981. The other guitarist liked the band so we did that one tune. I never heard of the band before we played that song and other then hearing a rare radio play here and there, I hadn't heard of them since. I'm surprised they recorded that many albums as they did. It looks like they were big in Canada more then the US.

• Members
I used to play Get Ready for Love in a cover band in 1981. The other guitarist liked the band so we did that one tune. I never heard of the band before we played that song and other then hearing a rare radio play here and there' date=' I hadn't heard of them since. I'm surprised they recorded that many albums as they did. It looks like they were big in Canada more then the US.[/quote']

Oh yeah for sure. They were very big in Canada and are virtually unknown outside. Canada has a lot of bands like that. Canadian radio has content rules in which a certain percentage of what they play has to have been written in Canada. It has it's detractors that claim it allows for mediocrity to rise to levels it doesn't deserve but over all I think that is a BS argument. There is plenty of talent that wouldn't have gotten a sniff without some help and they deserve it. It weeds out all the bottom feeders anyway....just like anywhere else. I think it's great a government supports arts....even if that support is pathetically too low.

Anyway...bringing it back around...it ends up making some bands that are virtually household names in Canada that almost nobody in the US knows. Probably the best example of this is the Tragically Hip who sellout (or used to...not sure so much anymore) 20 000 seat arenas with ease all across Canada but would probably struggle to fill a thousand seat venue anywhere other than the N.E. US border areas.

• Members

Anyway...bringing it back around...it ends up making some bands that are virtually household names in Canada that almost nobody in the US knows. Probably the best example of this is the Tragically Hip who sellout (or used to...not sure so much anymore) 20 000 seat arenas with ease all across Canada but would probably struggle to fill a thousand seat venue anywhere other than the N.E. US border areas.

Good call. I saw them in Australia and they rocked. Great band!

• Members

April Wine is definitely underrated, but they were about my 3rd fave Canadian rock band, along with Triumph and Rush.

Such a great sound, just jampacked with potent guitar. Everyone in that band could really play and that singer could both play and sing ass off at the same time. "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" and "She's a Roller" are great classic rock songs.

• Members
April Wine is definitely underrated, but they were about my 3rd fave Canadian rock band, along with Triumph and Rush.

Such a great sound, just jampacked with potent guitar. Everyone in that band could really play and that singer could both play and sing ass off at the same time. "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" and "She's a Roller" are great classic rock songs.

Yes!

I saw them LIVE in Early 90's, to this day, one of THE best concerts I've seen.

Though getting hit in the back of the head by a Jack Daniels bottle did interrupt a great show....but I pushed on through.

Amazing band! I was front row when I got pelted!

Archived