September 2014 Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>> NoSpamAllowed <<READTHIS

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

Post all hot deals here, but no SPAM. SPAM is for the other thread. This is for insane blow out deals that you find online and want to share with your fellow GASsers.

If you see a blowout on Music123 on Les Pauls for $99, yes, this is where you post that info, etc.

You can post eBay links you see too, but the eBay links have to be Buy It Nows, not something that is at $1 and still has 10 days left in the auction.

The RULES:

1) NO CRAIGSLIST POSTS IN THIS THREAD!

2) NO WHINING ABOUT DISCUSSIONS IN THE THREAD!

Last month we tried a separate discussion thread, but it's just too cumbersome to have a separate thread, so there won't be one anymore.

From my observations, the majority of people like to talk about the deals in order to decide if they want to buy something. There's typically just a few loud members constantly complaining about the discussions. As long as the discussions are related to the item in question, then the discussion can stay in this thread. If someone starts whining and causes a big flame war about "too much talking" they are going to get a temp ban. Everybody participating in any flame war in this thread will get a temp ban. Just behave yourselves! There is more to life than this internet thready thing.

3) All new deals must be posted in RED! Or at least the TITLE OF THE DEAL.

That will help people be able to filter though the pages of discussion and the actual deal posts will pop right out.

4) Your personal SPAM is not allowed in this thread. If you post SPAM in here, you will get a temp ban. Then no one will be able to buy your crappy gear.

I repeat - NO SPAM in this thread. That means NO TRADES, NO OFFERS, no selling or getting rid of your own stuff. There's one SPAM thread already for that stuff.

And as, alway: there is no whining, bitching, complaining or tantrums allowed in this thread. This thread is only for discussing the hot deals. If you missed a hot deal or you hate Musicians Friend, post about it in an outside thread.

If you buy something in the hot deals thread, and you love it, or hate it, or it bit you in the ass, then post a separate thread about it, this thread ain't for heated discussion.

Bring em if ya got em!

• Members

You've posted a couple of seriously nice deals, Morgan B - thanks!

I don't have the 7-space rack, but I know someone who does, and it's worth at least double what it's selling at right now.

I do have the DBZ, in transparent magenta of all things. The specs were awesome for the price (same as now), so I couldn't resist. I would have gone purple if it'd been available at the time, looks great to my eyes.

As it happens, the magenta in the flesh strikes a nostalgic chord in me: It's similar to the red "velvet" upholstery of my friend's '75 pink Cadillac, long ago scrapped after many excellent years of service. So the guitar has a vintage feel for me, don't know if others would see it that way though.

In any case, I haven't seen purple in the flesh, but can vouch for the model.

Build quality is tremendous, similar to other mid-priced Korean-made guitars (eg, PRS SE, better Schecters, Michael Kelly). It arrived set up perfectly, to my taste anyway; I was fully prepared to make adjustments, and was happily surprised that it needed none at all. Intonation was dead on.

The body is WAY thinner than I'd expected. From the marketing language I was expecting something on the thin side, but with the edges tapered as much as they are it turns out to be pancake thin. If I'd known that going in I'd probably have pulled out. However, I find it super comfortable after all. Light, yes, but not nearly as light as you'd think, looking at it. And the contours make all the difference, to me anyway; I really can't get with SGs, and I used to think it was because they're so thin, but this guy is thinner overall yet looks and feels like a heftier guitar, in large part because key regions are thicker. I'd imagine that playing it standing up would be a dream for those with back issues. I play sitting down, and my only gripe is that if it slips down my leg a bit too far the angle will cause the tapered edge to cut in enough to draw notice... but that just means I slide it back into place where it should be, and all is well again.

The marketing language suggests that the thin body lends itself to a more focused sound, a la SG. To my ears, they're right. It's punchier than any HB-equipped guitar I've played, even slightly more than SGs. Not quite P90 territory, but getting close. This is a really great feature in my book, as I'm not a HB guy. I half planned to drop in HB-sized P90-like pups, knowing my track record with HBs is pretty bad. But these HBs are here to stay. Not only punchy, but somehow super rich and balanced to boot. How is that possible? I really don't know. In researching I asked World Music Supply about the pups, because there were lots of conflicting descriptions out there. They pinged the owner of DBZ, Jeff Diamont, directly. He says that he worked with Seymour Duncan in their USA custom shop to design the pickups exclusively for DBZ. They based the DD1 on the JB, but aimed for a slightly smoothed out EQ curve and hotter output with more growl and tighter low end. They based the DD5 on the 59 but aimed for a more balanced output. I'm not a huge fan of the JB and 59, at least in the few guitars I've tried them with, but the DD1 and DD5 in this Royale put a big smile on my face.

Bottom line is that it's a lot of guitar for that cost. I'd bite again if I could justify it - have too many guitars as it is. Nice deal!

• Members

Bugera 333XL-INFINIUM Hardcore 120-Watt 3-Channel Valve Amplifier Head with Reverb and INFINIUM Valve Life Multiplier

$370 Shipped from Amazon (plus tax if applicable)

http://www.amazon.com/333XL-INFINIUM-3-Channel-Amplifier-INFINIUM-Multiplier/dp/B007KZQND6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know this isn't a guitar, but I didn't see a hot deals thread in the Amps forum. Anyway, is this a hot deal or not?

$409.95 -- get an Amazon Store card and get $40 off, dropping the price to $369.95. Shipping is free -- if you have to pay tax at Amazon then you'll get charged tax.

• Members

10% off gift certificate purchases at Musican's friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/non-i...es?src=3TP4JCA with coupon SEPT10 (3 days only)

that's like an (almost) instant 10% off

Since it's a gift certificate as good as cash, you can use it on upcoming thanksgiving deals or whatever.

Of course it's also committing to buying something from MF in the somewhat near future. I've been looking at a new amp, and MF has the best prices (in fact I should have pulled the trigger during the 15% off during labor day). I'm hoping they'll run another 15% (or more) sale between now and Xmas, so if I gift myself the price of the amp (or close to it now), I'm compounding the discounts.

• Members
...in fact I should have pulled the trigger during the 15% off during labor day.

There's a 96 percent chance that the amp you are thinking of does not qualify for any discount, much less a 15 percent discount. Look around for the MF Exclusions List whenever a sale starts. Unfortunately, it's enormous.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Bass/acapella-17/418140-

• Members

There's a 96 percent chance that the amp you are thinking of does not qualify for any discount, much less a 15 percent discount. Look around for the MF Exclusions List whenever a sale starts. Unfortunately, it's enormous.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...lla-17/418140-

~~Those exclusions lists are in keeping with the Minimum Advertised Price contract the retailer has with the manufacturer.

Over the phone doesn’t count as advertized, so they’re often willing to do the discount. That may even work walking into the store.

• Members
  • Members
~~Washburn PS10 Paul Stanley Starfire Electric Guitar with gigbag White $229

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/washburn-ps10-paul-stanley-starfire-electric-guitar-with-gigbag

Mine came yesterday.Its a nice guitar. The FB doesn't look grainless enough to be ebony but it plays well. Not sure its firebird enough to scratch the itch but so far its nice. And those minibuckers may good sounding and different sounding. I'll need to get more time testing.

Thanks for the tip.

• Members

Yeah, I like the minibuckers too ,they really sing!

If want want V variation to go with your Firebird variation.... Can only say good things about this DBZ that just came in ...and I really do not care for V's!...They were 279. at worldmusicsupply.com I noticed their site was changed and it says 499. but if you call they may still honor the price.

HD3lXQk.jpg

Archived