Cone question

Ed the Dog

• Members

It's been a rough day: I've been installing gutters on our old house, and it's been a struggle. It started to rain, so I went downstairs to work on an Epi BC 30. I was getting ready to install some new speakers when the rain cleared. I left them out , and my son pushed in the center cone. So will it effect the sound of the speaker? Does it need to be fixed? Man I feel bad about this. He denied it and blamed the cat which got me hot. So I grounded him from electronics for a week. About an hour latter he brought me an "emergency beer." Never yelled at my son before. Thanks for the catharsis. Ed the Dog

• Members
...my son pushed in the center cone. So will it effect the sound of the speaker?

That's actually the so-called dust cap that got pushed in, not the cone.

The short answer is yes, it will affect the high frequency dispersion to some degree because the dust cap is basically the high frequency radiator. How much it will affect the high frequencies depends on how much the dust cap has been altered from its original dome shape. You probably won't hear much difference actually, unless the dust cap was punctured or ripped.

You can often repair a pushed-in dust cap by simply using a vacuum cleaner or similar sucking device to pull the indention outwards. If worse comes to absolute worse, the dust cap can be repaired or replaced by a loudspeaker repair person -- there's usually one or more such places in larger cities.

The dust cap is glued into place on the front of the cone to both evenly radiate high frequencies across the listening zone and to keep contamination from entering the critical gap between the magnet and the voice coil.

Archived