Chord voicings

wankdeplank

• Members

OK so here's the scenario, you're learning a new song (an old standard, not one of your own), you download the tab or play it by ear, and realize there's something just a little off. It just doesn't sound the way you heard it on the radio. And then you try a different voicing or two and walla, that's it - now it sounds right. When I started playing, it was all open chords, or 5th or 6th string root bar chords. Finding out more and more that that B string root chord (D shape) fuels a heck of a lot of pop songs.

Can I get a witness? Anybody know what I'm talking about or even give a who?

• Members

Definitely!! If you play it like an "Amin7" shape with a partial barre it's like a mini "Cmaj" shape - that one gets used a lot in pop, reggae, calypso, funk...

It's hard to appreciate how cool this sounds until you do it in a band context with a bass guitar that can cover the root. It gives great separation between the parts and a tighter sound.

• Members
I hear you too Wankdeplank... The other day I was writing a song and couldn't find the transition from Bm that I was hearing in my head. I took the barre off the Bm and bang, it was exactly what I was looking for.

In case you're interested, depending on whether you were playing the Bm as an Am or an Em, the chord would be either D6/E (basically a variation on Bm7) or Emadd2.

• Members

Well anyway what kind of inspired this thread was learning an old 70's tune named Brandy (been learning some songs my Bass player is familiar with). So I get the tab and it's in E, but the open E just doesn't sound right to start. and the A shape E at the 9th fret definitely ain't right so I end up using the D shape E (fifth fret B string root) and walla perfectimundo. But then I find that the little flourish at the end of the verse sounds best with an open E and the E to A thing at the end of the chorus sounds best with the A shape E (9th fret G string root). So I end up using three different chord voicings for E all in one song. And surprisingly another song I've been learning (Sister Golden Hair) uses pretty much the same chords and also sounds best using that D shape E mostly.

• Members

In case you're interested, depending on whether you were playing the Bm as an Am or an Em, the chord would be either D6/E (basically a variation on Bm7) or Emadd2.

I'm notorious for playing chords I can't name . The chorderator is now on my favorites list. Thanks

• Members
I hear you too Wankdeplank... The other day I was writing a song and couldn't find the transition from Bm that I was hearing in my head. I took the barre off the Bm and bang, it was exactly what I was looking for.

I have no idea what you're doing but I was noodling around with it and a couple of progressions that sounded good were Bm Bm(sans barre) Gmaj7 F# and Bm Bm(sans barre) Em7 F#. What progression are you working on?

• Members

I have no idea what you're doing but I was noodling around with it and a couple of progressions that sounded good were Bm Bm(sans barre) Gmaj7 F# and Bm Bm(sans barre) Em7 F#. What progression are you working on?

I'll have to try your chords DeepEnd. I'm going from Bm Bm(sans barre) to F#m to G and experimenting with mixing in A and D for the chorus. I was just mucking around with it the other day and may have to finish it (for a change), now that you've asked me about it. :D

Archived