New guitar problem...

chrisjjj

• Members

I bought an esp horizon, and it has terrible fretbuzz on the whole neck on the low E string, even open. tried adjusting the truss rod & bridge heigh and nothing helps at all. should i just send the ****************er back?. theres no guitar tech anywhere near me. how hard can it be to get the damn buzz gone?

• Members

You say along the whole neck so I assume its not an overcut nut.

If the neck is straight after truss rod and the string clearances are right after bridge adjustment it might not be what it appears to be. If a set neck is wrong its a hopeless case.

However I would be inclined to send it back because once you start fret dressing or whatever your warranty will be out the window. With a guitar that price I wouldn't mess about at all, just rest phone them for a return number and ship it back where it came.

• Members

I loosened the neck all the way... really adjusting the neck did nothing for me at all.. it tried it turn by turn til the nut was almost off... i also raised the bridge saddle on the low e side about 1 and a half turns. and right now the action is stupid high on the 12th fret, yet i still get buzz

Im using 10-46 default strings.

• Members
Is it definately fret buzz. Not the string rattling in the saddle, or the tuner?

Be careful with that truss rod. Minor adjustments mean a lot.

You shouldnt have to muck about this much with a new, quality, instrument.

yes 100% fret buzz... and i get rattling too by just plucking the low e string....

and thats what i was thinking... 1800 eur guitar and with all these issues, not even my epiphone standard 2 has this problem.

• Members

I've run into difficult cases like this.... A few weeks ago I was doing a set-up on a customer's guitar and couldn't get rid of the fret buzz on one string... same thing... open, all the way up the fretboard... action and relief were ok. I finally changed strings and the problem went away. Sometimes you run into a bad string.... uneven windings or something. I'd try that before sending it back.

• Members

Just take it back. ESP is a pretty great company and from what I can tell very concerned with their quality control. I haven't heard of too many ESP's having problems....especially at the ESP level guitars. Of course no company anywhere has 100% QC. I'm sure they'll make it right.

• Members

Stand the guitar on the floor in an upright position and look down the neck at the gap between the low E string and the frets. You should be able to see if the neck is bowed, if the action is too low or if there is a high fret. An ESP Horizon is a neck-thru model, correct? If it is a bolt-on neck model, you might need to shim the neck a bit to make it point uphill a smidgen. As some people said above, it could be a crap low E string that has loose windings.

• Members

I put new tuners and strings on my bass when I first got it and I ended up with a rattling when the E was plucked. It turned out that my tuners were made for a thinner headstock and the washer on the E string tuner was rattling. Check thoroughly to see what's actually buzzing. If you can't find the trouble and a string change won't fix it, send the guitar back for another one.

• Members

Best advice is to return it - for that price, you shouldn't have an aggravating mystery problem.

That said - you loosened the TR until the nut almost came off? The keeper? And not being snarky, but do you know what someone was referring to above when they referred to an overcut nut? Not being unkind, but you sound inexperienced with set up, and if for example you are doing massive slacking / tightening of the TR and not even giving the neck time to settle, you're not likely to solve this on your own.

• Members
. . . Not being unkind' date=' but you sound inexperienced with set up, and if for example you are doing massive slacking / tightening of the TR and not even giving the neck time to settle, you're not likely to solve this on your own.[/quote']

^ This.

• Members
Best advice is to return it - for that price, you shouldn't have an aggravating mystery problem.

That said - you loosened the TR until the nut almost came off? The keeper? And not being snarky, but do you know what someone was referring to above when they referred to an overcut nut? Not being unkind, but you sound inexperienced with set up, and if for example you are doing massive slacking / tightening of the TR and not even giving the neck time to settle, you're not likely to solve this on your own.

no im not a setup-pro, but on my other 2 guitars all ive ever had to do was jto loosen it abit and the buzz would be gone... reason i loosened it so much is because the buzz wouldnt go away. you dont need to wait for it to settle, even the esp guy on youtube does it in a couple of minutes.

and no i dont know what you mean by overcut nut, that it hasnt been filed properly or?

• Members

If it were mine I"d ask this guy what to do.

Seriuosly ,if you can put the guitar in the hands of a trusted tech he could give you better advise than anyone else. If it's a tech you know well he would probably not charge to look at it and then tell you if he would adjust it or send it back.

8463719200_bc1c7073db_z.jpg

• Members

Yes, you do need a truss rod to settle when you tighten or loosen it. Just because you obtain an immediate result from something does not mean that is the FINAL result. Please do post and let me know if I am being clear. TR adjustments typically don't reach their final 'spot' for at least 24 hours or so, and continues on at smaller increments from there. This is why many people have to adjust their TR seasonally; wood is dynamic and always responding to surroundings, including TR pressure.

By 'overcut nut' I was assuming that the person was talking about the groove in the nut being cut too deeply. That is possible, and fairly common (though you would think not in a guitar in that price range). Fender's website has a very nice section on set ups that includes a way to check for nut groove depth, and yes, it does matter (and is a possible source of the trouble you report).

Archived