Someone save me from this ukulele resurgence.

billybilly

• Members

I feel like bitching... I can't stand ukulele's, all of them, people who play them, how they sound, seeing them taking up too much space in music stores, seeing them in classifieds, etc... For god sake, buy a mandolin, any sound I hear from a ukulele is abysmal. I've seen designer ukes made out of expensive wood by good luthiers and they still sound ****************, even when the best uke players in the world play them. Don't try to tell me they sound good or try to get me to listen to some clip with someone you think sounds good cause they won't and I'll hate it, lol.

The end.

PS For a good time, hit my photobucket link.

• Members
I feel like bitching... I can't stand ukulele's, all of them, people who play them, how they sound, seeing them taking up too much space in music stores, seeing them in classifieds, etc... For god sake, buy a mandolin, any sound I hear from a ukulele is abysmal. I've seen designer ukes made out of expensive wood by good luthiers and they still sound ****************, even when the best uke players in the world play them. Don't try to tell me they sound good or try to get me to listen to some clip with someone you think sounds good cause they won't and I'll hate it, lol.

The end.

PS For a good time, hit my photobucket link.

I think it is up there with the recorder and the glockenspiel. Why? Just why?

• Members
Did you know that Chet Atkins' first instrument was a ukelele ? It's true

Actually, I started on the ukulele too. My mom taught me. I inherited her old Harmony ukulele and I need to get it fixed up and start playing it. (Not saying there's anything else in common between Chet and me, LOL.)

• Members

^^This guy can fix it for you ^^

Might have what you are looking for :-

[video=youtube_share;jO1TFSmfVw4]

Seriusly though I'd fix it up and keep it for sentimental reasons .I got my fathers old violin fixed up but can't play it.

• Members

You know I have given a bit of thought to all the string instruments I don't like be it banjo, ukelele, harpsichord or koto and there is a recurring element.

That element is SHORT SUSTAIN

There is quite simply not enough duration to get any expression into it and the only way to get any feeling of fluidity is to play at tapping speeds. An individual note on those instruments has all the expressive capability of tapping a coffee mug with a dime.

ps exploring the idea further I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N_Om4oeQPk

(sharing disabled, you will have to click)

• Members

I love harpsicord and banjo ,I started out on banjo before switching to guitars . But banjos just don't have the cool factor that guitars do.

A string instrument that I have trouble enjoying is the Chinese erhu,my wife play one and I told her it sounds like a chicken singing.

[video=youtube;i8Q8aZ1paUw]

• Members

If you ever visit Hawaii, you might want to keep that thought to yourself. ;)

exactly after spending some time in the Hawaiian hills I heard some uke playing that is easy as good as a lot of the guitar playing I hear on the mainland.

This person is specially impressive and a lot hotter than you Billbill. She can jam a guitar pretty good too. Lets hear your tone on a rendition of the Beatles classic:lol:

Archived