Larger sized Les Paul-type Guitars?

jacobat97

• Members

I just recently made an account here so that I could post this specific question: are there any guitars out there that have the Les-Paul body style and a similar tone, but are bigger in size? I ask this because I'm a bigger guy (6 ft. 6 and somewhat husky) and I've always thought that regular Les Pauls have looked a little funny on me on account of me being the size that I am. I love the tone of Les Pauls because it goes great with the kind of stuff that I like to play (a lot of heavier 70's-era hard rock and blues-rock), and I want a guitar that will do the stuff that I like to play justice, but also not look super tiny on me. (Some will probably argue that it looks just fine, but to me, it doesn't). My price range goes up to about $700, maybe a little more if I think it'll be worth it. Any ideas? (And thanks for any help; I'm not too up-to-speed on all of the different brands and models, so it's greatly appreciated on my end).

• Members
What about an SG type? The Les Paul evolved from the SG you know. It has a bigger body' date=' and gets as rockin' a tone as you could want. Epiphone makes several nice copies of them well within that price range.[/quote']

The SG model was not introduced until 1961. Les Paul didn't like them and that's why they didn't have his name on them.

First Les Paul introduced 1952.

• Members

The 175 is actually one of my top possible choices as or right now after some research. I love the look of the ES-175's, and I know that they look good on 6ft.-something players (like Ted Nugent). But, my main problem would be the feedback that I would get from them, as using a hollowbody with high-gain settings (and fuzz, which I use a LOT) tends to result that way. Do you know if they make something like the ES-175 that's semi-hollow or just plain solid-body?

• Members

I didn't even know that they made these. I'll definitely take a look at one of these if I can find a store that deals them (I've looked it up and the results seem to be pretty scarce). If it keeps that 335 sound, then I'm sold. Thanks!

• Members

Gibson L6S? I think they're more or less SG sized, but look bigger due to the single cutaway. Carlos is about my height at 5'10" or so. I've got a guitar that's just the thing, but I'm not sure I'd let it go for $700. It's an early Dan Neafsey (DGN Guitars) build. Semi-hollow, bigger than an LP, smaller than a 335. A Varitone that will give you the tones of both. Big, chunky neck. IMG_4828.jpg

77b52abdc70e7a4ed718fc98fa512261.jpg.675adb6d7f0741966c010bafaf05894f.jpg

• Members
Gibson L6S? I think they're more or less SG sized' date=' but look bigger due to the single cutaway. Carlos is about my height at 5'10" or so. I've got a guitar that's just the thing, but I'm not sure I'd let it go for $700. It's an early Dan Neafsey (DGN Guitars) build. Semi-hollow, bigger than an LP, smaller than a 335. A Varitone that will give you the tones of both. Big, chunky neck. [img']http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh41/speakerjones/Neafsey%20Custom/IMG_4828.jpg[/img]

The L6-S is thinner and maybe about the same size, I have one. Maybe you're thinking of the L-6?

• Members

DISCLAIMER: somewhat beyond your budget if buying new, but otherwise seems just what you're looking for.

Carvin SH550, comes with f-holes stock, but can be ordered without. Here's a used one on GBase without:

fetch?id=31246577

http://www.gbase.com/gear/carvin-sh550-2012-sunburst#

You can order them with a larger headstock that's better proportioned to the guitar, and to your physique:

fetch?id=31246578

FYI, they're chambered for weight, but don't sound much like semi-hollow electrics (come to think of it, most LPs these days are chambered or otherwise "weight-relieved," too):

fetch?id=31246579

Significantly larger than an LP...

fetch?id=31246580

See next post for more pix...

• Members

The PRS single cutaway models like the SE-245 have a *slightly* larger body than a Les Paul. It also has a slightly longer scale length at 25.0 inches (versus 24.75 inches for a Les Paul) which can end up being a good thing if you have large hands and play much at all high on the scale.

New price: $619

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=PRS+SE+245

PRS1.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I looked these up after reading that last post of yours on here, and I really like them! The body size looks just about right, and from the videos I've watched, the sound is, too. But, my concern is that, since these are (I believe) semi-hollow, I'd get too much feedback during performing considering how much gain I tend to use, along with my Big Muff fuzz pedal.

• Members

I've actually seen some of these prior to posting this topic because my guitar instructor recommended I look them up (for the same reason posted here). But, when I did, there didn't really seem to be much of a difference (or any, to me) between the size of the PRS single cutaway and the other LP's I've seen. How much bigger would you say the body is on the PRS, though? Like a couple inches, maybe? I'm curious because I'm pretty partial towards these and the Greg Bennett Royale that cbh5150 suggested, as they seem to be the best for their price, quality, and sound. (I'd include the Carvin, but that's a little too over the budget).

• Members

The L6-S is thinner and maybe about the same size, I have one. Maybe you're thinking of the L-6?

Thinner? Which dimension are you speaking of? If you are speaking of the body thickness, then yes, the L6-S is thinner because it is a flat top.

Otherwise, the body of the L6-S is definitely wider than any Les Paul -- except maybe the Les Paul Signature.

PS: L6-S owner here for about 35 years. And, yes, I changed the godawful original bridge out 20+ years ago. ;)

19p26o.jpg

Archived