Imagine a world where there were only multi effects

mbengs1

• Members

Not sure quite where you are going with "No real amps" ?? but here's my stab at the question, sorry if I misunderstand.

The electric guitar is to the guitar what the synthesizer is to the piano. Basically same fretboard interface but is a completely different animal.

A Piano just is but there are Rhodes, Korg, Hammond and Church organs which lose that connection after the keyboard. They are different instruments. So it is with electric guitar.

I think is was an "electrified acoustic" for about 8 minutes after its invention then it became 100 different things in the hands of 100 different people.

• Members

I don't really get the premise here. We'd lose some well known (and well loved) sounds without certain amps and pedals but overall, pretty much nothing changes. Which guitarists' main contributions to music depended on any of these things? Apologies if I missed the point - as I said, I don't really get the premise

• Members
I don't really get the premise here. We'd lose some well known (and well loved) sounds without certain amps and pedals but overall, pretty much nothing changes. Which guitarists' main contributions to music depended on any of these things? Apologies if I missed the point - as I said, I don't really get the premise

It would be like going from vinyl to mp3. Sort of , kind of ,mostly the same but just something missing.

Sure there would be talented people who would excel in this but we would loose what we once loved.

It's called change, embrace change and move on or resist change (like me ) and get left behind

• Members

It is kind of a strange premise. If tube amps and individual pedals had never existed, the multi-fx devices would have nothing to model their sounds after. Early PA systems would not have supported loud blaring guitars going through them. The technology would not have been in place for the early pioneers of rock guitar to push the boundaries of the instrument. So would we not have had electrified guitar until the late 70's (or whenever the first multi-fx came about)? I'd say that would have changed the game.

If, on the other hand, you went with the idea that individual pedals and tube amps were to disappear today, I'd say you'd have a lot of pissed off guitar players on your hands. Sure great players would still play great, and probably sound just fine. Still, part of the journey in being an electric guitar player is putting together that rig that gives you the sound that's in your head. The amp and (for some) pedalboard are not just appliances, but part of the whole instrument.

• Members

This then is the correct answer for the OP.

/thread.

Not necessarily,teechnologhy has forced me to make changes in other areas of life that I had sworn never to change.

I once swore I would always use cash but now I've adapted to plastic so completely that the "new money" looks strange to me.

I once loved getting my hands dirty hopping up cars and swore I always would . But now we just plug in a laptop change a few codes and it's done. New technology can force change whether we like it or not. It's not so hard to imagine a day when it's no longer practicle for anyone to manufacture vacuum tubes.at least not affordably priced .The enviro-nazis may determine that vacuum tubes use too much electricity and ban the sale,as they have been doing with incadecent light bulbs. Who knows ?

• Members

I went all digital in 1997, but I bought some VHT ( Fryette) Valvulators to give my ones and zeros ( Digitech RP-1 and RP-12) some analog warmth and now it has stomp box / organic tube tone.

My Digitech 2112 guitar effects processor has two 12AX7 tubes to bring my tone to life. With my Control One pedal board , I enjoy 100 different amp simulation of all my favorite amps, for any particular style on music I'm playing. Tubes will always be in a guitarists arsenal !!!!

Archived