Superstrat recommendations: ESP M-II vs Jackson vs Ibanez vs what else?

Andrius

• Members

I'm thinking of buying either a superstrat and what is important to me is that it was in the range of 1200-2000 USD, had a neck that's thinner than a '59 Les Paul (which is uncomfortable for me) all tuners on the headstock were on one side (like SL2, as opposed to Gibson layout of tuners). Of course build quality is very important to me. Also, I prefer passive pickups, but active pickups can be replaced so... Bolt-on or Neck-Thru Floyd rose or Strings thru - all are acceptable to me. I'm only looking for info on acceptable options and then I'm going to go and try them, see how they feel. So far these are what I see as possible options:

* Jackson Soloist SL2 PRO ( http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitar...d-quicksilver/ )

* ESP MII ( http://www.espguitars.com/products/1...series-guitars )

1) I'm looking for suggestions of similar guitars.

2) I've seen people mention Charvel guitars (which are somehow connected to Jackson guitars), but out of those up to 2000 USD, the most expensive they make are 933 USD ( http://www.charvel.com/guitars/index...tno=2971311535 ), which makes it look like of different quality class than SL2 (for guitars made in the same country). So how is this option?

3) It would be good to know why there is such a big price gap between Soloist Pro series and the more expensive ones (which are over 4000?). I mean, Pro series is less than half of the rest of the more expensive series, so either it's half as good quality wise, either what?

Of course comments on Soloist vs MII quality-wise are wanted too :)

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I ignore the other Ibanez series? Where are RGs made?

​By the way, I found that SL2 is made in Mexico - that explains some of the price difference.

How about ESP M-II - is it made in Japan, USA or somewhere else?

• Members

Anything that says ESP on the headstock will be made in Japan. Even the E-II models are made in japan but they are a "middle" model between the ESP and LTD....(LTD being made....not sure where...but not MIJ)

Apparently they are now doing a ESP USA model that is made in the USA (factory is just opening this year).....but personally I would rather get an MIJ ESP.

• Members
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg3550mzgk.htm

but any Prestege Ibanez RG would be a good one.

I've just found that most of them are made out of basswood. I've done some reading in the past and I found some people say that Stratocasters made out of basswood tend to be fragile in the area where the bridge is mounted (due to the bridge being moved). What's your point of view? My brother actually has a basswood MIJ Stratocaster and I can see that the area around one of the bridge mounting screws is slightly ruined, as if the screw is getting ripped out.

• Members

I've just found that most of them are made out of basswood. I've done some reading in the past and I found some people say that Stratocasters made out of basswood tend to be fragile in the area where the bridge is mounted (due to the bridge being moved). What's your point of view? My brother actually has a basswood MIJ Stratocaster and I can see that the area around one of the bridge mounting screws is slightly ruined, as if the screw is getting ripped out.

Many of the high end super strats are made from basswood. Ibanez uses a set screw in the posts to stop any movement. I have a 1987 RG550 that has no set screws and I use the trem all the time and there is no movement. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Everything will wear out eventually. I just don't see it as a problem.

If you are looking to spend $1000 to $1500 on a super Strat then get one that is made in Japan or the USA. All of the higher end RG models are made in Japan and the site I linked you to above is a good place to by an upper end Ibanez from.

Rich is great.

Here is a pic of the stud set screw that keeps the post from moving,

189.jpg

Archived