Classic Vibe Squiers, let's hear the love and my gripe.

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

As far as I can tell these things are pretty good. I'm so temped. There is the 50's tele which some really good players are very excited about. It looks great, too.

9555_Squier_Classic_Vibe_Telecaster_50s_BTB_CGS1102938_1.jpg

Then there is the 50's and 60's Strats. They have also been getting lots of praise for the last few years.

The price isn't bad on these and it is tempting to buy a whole set.

...But I can't. Suppose I'm a bit spoiled. It comes down to string spacing for me. I know it is just a little bit, but it is a little bit that matters to me. It is a bit frustrating that Fender does not sell one single guitar in the squier or MIM line that has the 43mm neck width and the wider string spacing at the tremolo. Not one single guitar. I suppose if they sold these classic vibes with the wider spacing they would never sell another MIA Strat. But still, it is a little frustrating.

Anyway, how much do you love your Squier?

• Members

I have a 60s Strat and it's my unqualified #1, even though I have "better" guitars.

With smaller hands, the neck feels just fine to me, but the larger neck on my MiM Strat also feels good as well.

The pickups are very nice, the electronics seem okay, though I did drop a Deaf Eddie Chromacaster in it for extra versatility (adds 11 different "tones" available in addition to the Strat's standard 5 position sounds).

Paid less than 3 bills for it new in box off of ebay.

I love it very much and I don't have any plans to ever get rid of it, unless it's to give it to my stepson.

S7300136.jpg

• Members

I have the white 50s tele. The bridge pickup on it is awesome- the best bridge p. Up I have ever had in a tele and I have had CS ones. Smooth, powerful but still twangy. On mine bass side of things is bit v cutting- might change nut or saddles for extra bite at some point. But overall great guitar. They rave about them on the tele forum

• Members

How much are they now?

I got my CV Tele for $300, albeit via Hello Music (which was awful). I dunno, every time I play it, it sounds great and etc. etc. etc., but I haven't bonded with it, mostly because of the neck. I find the neck a little 'shallow' in the shape, and the DUNKED IN POLY / overfinish. Which is silly, as I have other Teles that have glossy necks, or thin ones, and I like them more. Thinking on it now, am wondering if I still have the stock strings on there and that's my problem. Hmmm.

FWIW, I couldn't stand the stock pups, just voiced too hot and with a response curve that seemed to ooze treble.

• Members
How much are they now?

I got my CV Tele for $300, albeit via Hello Music (which was awful). I dunno, every time I play it, it sounds great and etc. etc. etc., but I haven't bonded with it, mostly because of the neck. I find the neck a little 'shallow' in the shape, and the DUNKED IN POLY / overfinish. Which is silly, as I have other Teles that have glossy necks, or thin ones, and I like them more. Thinking on it now, am wondering if I still have the stock strings on there and that's my problem. Hmmm.

FWIW, I couldn't stand the stock pups, just voiced too hot and with a response curve that seemed to ooze treble.

Maybe add one of these?

• Members

There aren't many guys that are 6'7 LOL. Have you seen Vai's hands? I believe his necks are wizards which are thin.

They are thin in a way that I can deal with.

They are thin from front to back, but they are wide from side to side.

That is the opposite from these Squiers and MIM Fenders which are thin/narrow side to side at the nut.

I think that the neck on my RG1570 is the same width as a jem, and it is a

W I D E neck.

My rg550 has a Wizard neck and the 1570 has a Wizard Prestige neck.

I like both but if I had to pick one it would be the original Wizard.

Put one of those on a Classic Vibe at 22 frets and I would own one for sure.

• Members

I thought about it -- I have a couple of nicer unused necks lying around. At some point I probably will .... honestly, it's just that I didn't feel like doing the set up post-neck-change when I had the other Teles around to play, but yeah: at some point. Maybe with a rosewood FB? Might look cool and would be a change of pace.

That guitar bugs me because I 'get' that it's "a really good guitar for the money" and "just a plain good guitar, regardless of price" and a host of other complimentary descriptors, but in the end it is not in my 'love' pile, and so it sits in the corner. I even tried setting it up in an open G to force me to pick it up for convenience's sake (easier than retuning something else, etc.) and it didn't change.

Huh.

Archived