Taking stickers off a guitar or bass body

gibsunLPgoldtop

• Members

First you need to know if its Lacquer or poly finish. Their site doesn't specify. If its a poly finish, not much is going to hurt it including alcohol which should remove the glue. If its Lacquer you definitely don't want to use alcohol or any products like goo gone because it will damage the finish. You can use mineral oil and it does a good job on loosening up the glue on stickers. Pledge Lemon oil is 99% mineral oil and it should work and should have no major issues on lacquer. Otherwise just use water and see mow much you can get off. Furniture polish and elbow grease can also remove the glue left behind.

For the paint you can try Naphia (lighter fluid). Its really going to depend on what kind of paint he put on there. ~~If you want to preserve the original finish and cant find a chemical solution, I'd likely use super fine steel wool. This is less abrasive then sand paper and you have a good chance of preserving the finish below and then you can try using Pumice or swirl remover to bring back a high gloss finish.

If its something like enamel, nothing short of sanding may work. Cant be sure from those pics. The horns look like the undercoat is showing. A little wear there is still better then having the thing look like a nasty public rest room. That guitar as is may be exciting to young men but most normal women would find it pretty offensive.

• Members

thanks for the info everyone.

this bass costs 199 new so I have a 99.99% feeling that it's poly

can't imagine Dean using nitro for this cheap bass

I kinda figured that the poly would protect the original paint

A friend said to use a hair dryer to loosen the glue and slowly peel off the sticker. use lighter fluid or goo gone to get the excess glue off.

hopefully the lighter fluid wlll get the paint off but I may just keep the black paint on to maintain it's punk motif :)

• Members

I'd say your guess about the finish being poly is pretty much spot on. Your wife, girlfriend, sister, etc. probably has some Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil. It should work for the stickers/glue residue. "Graffiti paint" means Krylon in a spray can to me. Then again I'm not a graffiti artist. I guess you could try automotive polishing compound on it or leave it as is. If you're really ambitious, you could sand and repaint the whole body.

• Members

Here's what I've done so far but I don't think the rest will come off. Some of the black looks discoloured as if it seeped thru the poly? Doesn't seem reasonable that it may take too much elbow grease to get it all out, don't know if it's worth my time

If I could find someone to turn it into one of those tribal tattoo designs that would look cool Oh well will probably now just get strings for it. Al least all the stickers are off. fetch?id=31238495&type=medium

• Members

P.S. I used a hairdryer to loosen the stickers, a pick to lift up the corner and tweezers to pull off

I used goo gone and lighter fluid to get rid of the excess goop

I used lighter fluid and WD40 to take off as much black paint as I could. The upper right horn had that discolored black spot, which is still not completely gone. I tryed using very light grain sandpaper and it got rid of more of the black but not all of it and the even though I was very delicate in using the sandpaper it did leave scratches. It's not really noticable unless you turn it right in the lightl. I heard swirl polish used for cars might help but unless I can get off all the black I'm not going to bother.

• Members
P.S. I used a hairdryer to loosen the stickers, a pick to lift up the corner and tweezers to pull off

I used goo gone and lighter fluid to get rid of the excess goop

I used lighter fluid and WD40 to take off as much black paint as I could. The upper right horn had that discolored black spot, which is still not completely gone. I tryed using very light grain sandpaper and it got rid of more of the black but not all of it and the even though I was very delicate in using the sandpaper it did leave scratches. It's not really noticable unless you turn it right in the lightl. I heard swirl polish used for cars might help but unless I can get off all the black I'm not going to bother.

The car colour restorer, T cut its called in the UK , would polish the paint off with very little effort. Its would also give the poly a uniform finish.

Worth the trouble in my oinion. It may be cheap but could be a cool looking bass, I like the colour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Tooth paste on the black paint or maybe soft scrub kitchen cleaner or some kind of car product.

I'm done trying to clean the rest off.

I was hoping the the black on the left side would be like a "Whoosh" as Green Lantern flies off. Maybe he's leaving a planet with black dust.

I happy with the way it looks and I don't want to spend any more on the Bass than I have too.

The only additional cost was new bass strings.

• Members
Ever think of trying paint thinner or mineral spirits? You seem like you have tried everything but a product intended to remove paint. Neither one will harm the poly finish underneath and either one will take the paint off.

I'll consider your exception. maybe just rub a little of it on to see if it works.

The problem is I don't want to spend any $$ to buy the materials. I'll ask some friends if they have any.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Archived