Squier VM Jazzmaster - enjoyable crap

Willyguitar

• Members

I've had it a few months now. It's kind of total crap, but enjoyable total crap nonetheless. For some reason, I am not inclined to get rid of the stupid bridge buzz, or do anything about the possible string flips (so far it hasn't happened very much at all). Are most Jazzmasters like this - poppy, buzzy, low on sustain but high on character and originality?

• Members

To a degree, all JM's are poppy, and have a 'squishiness' from all the string length behind the bridge. The Squier crappiness to which you refer could be:

* iffy electronics (more on this in a moment):

* pot metal bridge / etc.

* overall Squier / Asian crappiness.

It seems that the VMs have already seen different spec sheets, been sourced from different factories, etc., so that some appear to be 'nicer' than others, which is a laugh since they are all essentially a crapshoot as they are inexpensvely made in Asia. You can find 'good' and 'bad' ones.

More interesting to me was that the DD pickups AREN'T worthless - and the neck pup esp has a traditional design (no bar magnet). Why they didn't do that for the bridge is beyond me, or maybe mine just has a mistake thrown in there. Either way, JM neck sound is the real zen of the guitar, and yup, the VM Squiers can do that well if you find one that isn't ripping up your hands with nasty fret ends.

Honestly, I like mine, but it needed work and the pots were junk. Still: Jazzy.

• Members

You've likely gone through all of this already but for the benefit of those who haven't I'll post these-

Fullerplast on OffsetGuitars had a great post about the basic setup of JM/Jag bridges on this page:http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/...657&start=1680

A few *great* links regarding the setup and troubleshooting of JMs and Jags can be found here: http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/the-goodies/

I don't have a Squier JM but I do have a Squier jag that I really like. Needed a setup though. :whisper:

• Members

I too own a VM Jaguar & feel I got one of the "less crappy" ones (I was able to play it first as i got it at a local Sam Ash). Beautiful guitar for the $ & the only guitar I own where I haven't felt the need to swap pickups. Definitely needed a setup as the stock 9's are just silly on that guitar

Love the looks of the Jazzmaster too & would grab one in a second if i weren't a short scale guy...

Archived