Favorite female ELECTRIC guitarists

Chordite

• Members

Spurred on by this (which is 50% Vai, I know )

[video=youtube_share;G7b-_YcACuQ]

I decide to root out good female guitarists of the electric variety. Which rules out a lot of people like Joni but there you go

First search result was somewhat surprisingly Elle magazine

http://www.elle.com/pop-culture/revi...tarists-339255

So who do you rate? famous or youtubers you might have found?

I'm allowing bassists on this one, here's Tal Wilkenfeld with JB

[video=youtube_share;blp7hPFaIfU]http://youtu.be/blp7hPFaIfU

• Members

With the exception of Bonnie Raitt who plays a bluesy guitar in a pop setting, mine are all classified as Blues Artists. Debbie Davies, Debra Coleman and Sue Foley are the three more that immediately come to mind. Not just great guitar pickers, but great songwriters and singers as well. Consummate musicians all.

[video=youtube;m8IeKDIJ8eA]

[video=youtube;oVdT-YMRbfg]

[video=youtube;cDeN0TXJ8Ts]

• Members

Interesting. Never really thought about it, that perhaps playing a guitar is just more of a guy thing? Huh, that's a odd thought.

Like peacock feathers, guys trying to attract attention with that loud amp and slick guitar playing.

Pretty certain that it works, too.

I don't mean anything against women guitarists, it does seem that men are more interested in it though and that is interesting.

• Members

I like Orianthi and The Great Kat. The Great Kat is probably also the only "metal" guitarist I like. I like shred, you know, EVH, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, to name a few. I'm just not too crazy about metal, stuff like BLS, or Slayer or Pantera. That stuff is just too relentless.

• Moderators

I have to profess to being slightly uncomfortable with this thread, in the same way as I would be, with "Favourite White Guitar Player", favourite "Christian Guitar Player".

Could we possibly turn it around slightly to be a celebration of female players who stand shoulder to shoulder with their male counterparts.

Tal is an obvious choice, indeed I'd choose her over many many male bassists, along with Joan Jett, Suzi Quatro, Joni, Nancy Wison, Mary Ford, Kelly Johnson, Kim McAuliffe, Sinead O Connor, Poison Ivy, Gabriela Quintero, Grainne Duffy, and they're only off the top of my head

• Members
I have to profess to being slightly uncomfortable with this thread, in the same way as I would be, with "Favourite White Guitar Player", favourite "Christian Guitar Player".

Could we possibly turn it around slightly to be a celebration of female players who stand shoulder to shoulder with their male counterparts.

Tal is an obvious choice, indeed I'd choose her over many many male bassists, along with Joan Jett, Suzi Quatro, Joni, Nancy Wison, Mary Ford, Kelly Johnson, Kim McAuliffe, Sinead O Connor, Poison Ivy, Gabriela Quintero, Grainne Duffy, and they're only off the top of my head

That's one of the reasons I really like Marissa. She purposely dresses in drab outfits and doesn't force the fact that she is a woman on the listener. She wants to be known as a musician. Not as a women that happens to be a musician.

• Members

I'm very partial to women blues singers - starting with Koko Taylor and coming down to the modern ladies like Duffy Bishop, Debbie Davis, and the one I posted above. Women put a whole different twist on the blues - its particularly nice when they also play the guitar. Its funny, I have several favorite woman guitar players but I don't have either of the genres that you mention...

• Members

That's one of the reasons I really like Marissa. She purposely dresses in drab outfits and doesn't force the fact that she is a woman on the listener. She wants to be known as a musician. Not as a women that happens to be a musician.

That was actually pretty interesting. Couldn't understand a word she said, but she could riff and warble in tune and has her own thing going on.

• Members

Susan Tedeschi, without a doubt. She's the whole package: plays damned good rhythm, plays good lead, sings like Bonnie Raitt with the Soulful knob turned up to like 11, and is married to and in a badass band with Derek Frickin' Trucks. No contest.

[video=youtube;R9I6lQNK6Ok]

• Members

For me Ori would be #1. I sat in the front row at one of her concerts and can report she is the real deal.

Miami based Sharon Aguilar is another favorite, especially since she shreds strats most of the time. [h=1][/h]

Archived