"Boomy" low E on Strat copy

DeepEnd

• Members

The low E on my Fernandes "Strat" is boomy through my amp. I have the bass on the amp turned down to 10 o'clock but I'd like to eliminate the problem at its source. From what I can find out this is fairly common for some Les Paul neck pickups but my Strat has it across the board (although neck+middle does tame it down a bit). I have the pickup height set to Fender specs and I know I can lower the pickups on that side but I understand different strings can also make a difference. I'm currently using d'Adario XL super light (0.009-0.042) nickel wounds. Can anyone suggest some other strings that might work better? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

• Members

You might have "stratitus".

To test for stratitus, try lowering your pickups quite a bit to see how it affects the low E.

You should be able to hear the effects of stratitus even without plugging your guitar in if you press your ear against the body of the guitar.

• Members

For strings, give GHS Boomers a shot. The string gauging is better and you don't have flab like you do with D'Addario in that gauge. You may want to try 9/46 gauge as well. The heavier bottom tightens up the low end and fixes allot of those problems.

• Members
make your pickups look like this, . . .

. . . Bass side down and treble up.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I rechecked the specs, took some measurements and ended up raising all three pickups on the treble side. Sounds fine now. I played some Elton John, some praise band stuff, an original, some scales, and everything sounded good (except my playing, LOL). I don't think I'm ever going to be a Strat guy--in fact, I'd be thrilled if someone gave me an SG--but I like the sound of my guitar better than I did.

For strings' date=' give GHS Boomers a shot. . . .[/quote']

Thanks. I'll try to remember GHS next time I change strings.

• Members
What is your set up? Do you use an overdrive pedal? Delay or Reverb?

Just an old Roland combo amp with built-in reverb. I use some reverb. No pedal but the amp has an "Overdrive" channel I don't use plus dual volume controls so I can produce some overdrive, which I generally don't. In other words, fairly basic. I'm an acoustic guy and I really don't like the sound of an electric. My preferred electric sound is "smooth and mellow," not edgy like Strats seem to be. I mentioned an SG because they're lightweight and have a hardtail bridge.

• Members

Strat pups can vary allot for attack and loudness. How I generally set mine is hold the string down at the last fret then adjust the treble side for 3mm and the bass side for 4mm. It may be a little more depending on weather the poles are staggered, raised in the center to follow the relief or are flat.

If you want less twang, you might want to go with a heavier gauged string with a wrapped third.

• Members
Strat pups can vary allot for attack and loudness. How I generally set mine is hold the string down at the last fret then adjust the treble side for 3mm and the bass side for 4mm. It may be a little more depending on weather the poles are staggered, raised in the center to follow the relief or are flat.

If you want less twang, you might want to go with a heavier gauged string with a wrapped third.

Fender specs call for 1/16" (about 1.6mm) on both sides. My current setup is 1/16" on the treble side and 3/32" (about 2.4mm) on the bass side. Again, I'll try different strings when I get a chance. I'm not sure it's the problem but it couldn't hurt. BTW, the height of the pole pieces doesn't follow relief when they're different heights, it follows radius, and mine are the same height straight across anyway.

• Members
. . . If you want less twang' date=' you might want to go with a heavier gauged string with a wrapped third. [/quote']

Okay, if anyone is still reading this thread, I checked juststrings.com and found a couple of sets that might work: D'Addario EXL110W http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...und_3rd__10_46 and GHS Boomers DYXL 010 http://www.ghsstrings.com/strings/electric/boomers-2. Both are .010-.046 with a .018 wound third. I'm limited in terms of gauge because my saddles don't have enough travel and the intonation is already off slightly with a .042 6th string. Both are nickel plated steel. The D'Addarios have hex cores, the GHS have round cores. I should be able to swing by one of the local mom and pops Saturday and if I haven't gotten a recommendation by then I'll pick up whatever they have in stock.

• Members

I would ignore the fender pup to string spec and drop them all, on mine that removes that brittle treble that I think is what you dislike. Its always worth dropping them and raising each slowly to find the bite point where the magnets start noticeably influencing the strings. I dont think strings are going to solve both your problems, if either. You may feel more at home with the wound 3rd though.

Archived