NGD follow-up

gardo

• Members

Now that I've been playing the Strat for a few days I have a couple comments

I like pos. 1,3 and 5 on the switch for soloing but to me 2 and 4 are better suited to rhythm ,maybe I need to try some different amp settings? Or change the phasing of one of the pickups.

I don't see the need for 2 tone controls ,I may go to 2 vol and master tone.

I am very surprised at the lack of 60 cycle hum .,really quiet.

What do you think of the whammy bar set-up suggested by Floyd ?

[video=youtube;Iy-F7iSIopA]

• Members

As a rhythm player, I don't solo but yeah, I like Bridge+Middle for rhythm. Bridge by itself when I want that old style Fender sound. There's a bit less high end with the neck pickup because the pole pieces don't line up with the strings well in my case.

• Members
I use 2 and 4 for rhythm too so you are not alone. I always gut the bridge and put in a higher powered pickup with less high frequencies too. It's all subjective.

Thanks billybilly,that's what I need to hear

• Members
As a rhythm player' date=' I don't solo but yeah, I like Bridge+Middle for rhythm. Bridge by itself when I want that old style Fender sound. There's a bit less high end with the neck pickup because the pole pieces don't line up with the strings well in my case.[/quote']

I do like that old style fender sound.as well.

Have you considered a different pickup for the neck?

• Members

To be honest, I didn't know there were other pole piece spacings. I just figured Strat pickups were standardized. Be gentle, I'm an acoustic guy, remember.

May be I'm wrong but I have the idea that your Strat is made by a different company . If the neck width is different it seems like that should effect the string spacing.. If the polepiece spacing is too wide you might find a way to angle the pickup.

Speaking of acoustics I'm still trying to land one. I've sent out replies to CL ads but am not getting responses ?

• Members
Just a suggestion' date=' but drop the 2nd tone, and have a Master Vol, Master tone, and use a switch to add a 7 way option. Neck and bridge on, and all three on. Some nice tones available that way.[/quote']

These are some possibilities for sure . I also thought about a second volume to blend the middle pickup instead of a second tone

• Members
As a rhythm player, I don't solo but yeah, I like Bridge+Middle for rhythm. Bridge by itself when I want that old style Fender sound. There's a bit less high end with the neck pickup because the pole pieces don't line up with the strings well in my case.

Well I mean that's kinda the way it was designed right? The neck is the mellow position becoming progressively brighter as you flip towards the bridge. I've never found that pole pieces not directly lining up really had much effect on the amplified sound of the guitar.

Billy wrote: I use 2 and 4 for rhythm too so you are not alone. I always gut the bridge and put in a higher powered pickup with less high frequencies too. It's all subjective.

I generally use the neck and middle for rhythm, bridge for aggressive rock leads or rhythms, and the notch positions more sparingly for that Knopfler thing. The other day I was playing with a bass player going through some tunes for a cover project and used the notch position to get a little twang on Green River as the guitar I was using has a humbucker in the bridge (not twangy). Definitely a great option for some tunes but a little thin or sour sounding for others IMO.

• Members
Well I mean that's kinda the way it was designed right? The neck is the mellow position becoming progressively brighter as you flip towards the bridge. I've never found that pole pieces not directly lining up really had much effect on the amplified sound of the guitar. . . .

Now that I've got the pickup height set properly I'm finding the same thing: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31235150-boomy-low-e-on-strat-copy.

May be I'm wrong but I have the idea that your Strat is made by a different company . If the neck width is different it seems like that should effect the string spacing.. If the polepiece spacing is too wide you might find a way to angle the pickup.

Speaking of acoustics I'm still trying to land one. I've sent out replies to CL ads but am not getting responses ?

Yeah, it's a Fernandes so it could be that. Actually, I looked at it again and the discrepancy isn't that bad but the high E is at the inner edge of the pole piece. If that's a problem, maybe I can find a rail type pickup for the neck position.

As for acoustics, what happened to the Epiphone Masterbilt you were looking at? You might want to check Guitar Center's used stuff. I understand they'll ship to your local store. What's your price range?

Edit: fixed link

• Members

Now that I've got the pickup height set properly I'm finding the same thing: [utl]http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31235150-boomy-low-e-on-strat-copy[/url].

Yeah, it's a Fernandes so it could be that. Actually, I looked at it again and the discrepancy isn't that bad but the high E is at the inner edge of the pole piece. If that's a problem, maybe I can find a rail type pickup for the neck position.

As for acoustics, what happened to the Epiphone Masterbilt you were looking at? You might want to check Guitar Center's used stuff. I understand they'll ship to your local store. What's your price range?

The Masterbuilt is a sore subject right now. I've sent 3 or 4 e-mails asking to meet to buy the guitar. My messages are ignored but the guitar is reposted. Meanwhile another Masterbuilt popped up I responded right away ,2 days later no reply but they at least they did delete the ad so someone else got that one.

As for the neck pickup,it doesnt sound like the alignment is too bad .Wankddeplank is probably right

• Moderators
There's a bit less high end with the neck pickup because the pole pieces don't line up with the strings well in my case.

They don't really need to, you're still vibrating in the magnetic field.

There are no different spacings on Strat pickups

The way forward is to lower the pickup to as low as it'll go without coming off the screw and then raise til you find a spot you like. You can then choose adjust whether you want to adjust the height from side to side, for instance some players lower the high E on the bridge pickup to reduce the ice pick-ness. It's all down to your ears preference and magnet types

• Members

They don't really need to, you're still vibrating in the magnetic field.

There are no different spacings on Strat pickups . . .

Actually, it's my understanding that David Allen makes a set that has varying spacings for just the situation we're talking about but they're $200 a set and frankly that's more than I have invested in my guitar.

The Masterbuilt is a sore subject right now.

Don't know exactly how far this is or what your price range is but there's a Norman Studio ST68 at the Guitar Center in Towson, Maryland for $499.99 with a gig bag. It should be a really nice guitar, all solid wood, spruce top, rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard and bridge. They're made in Canada by Godin and they sell for $900-1,000 new. A friend of mine has a lower end Norman and I like it a lot. There's also a Seagull Maritime SWS mini jumbo at the Lancaster, PA Guitar Center, which should be considerably closer, for the same price. It's a solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, and rosewood fingerboard and bridge. No case or bag. They sell for around $700 new.

• Members

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go look at the Masterbuilt that I originally wanted It's supposed to be a year old with Fishman pickup and TKL hard shell case New it would all cost $700 total and he wants $400

I saw the Seagull guitar last week when I was at GC in Lancaster but just don't care for them. I like a longer scale for acoustic and don't like the headstock. I know people that have them love them but not for me. I'll let you know what happens with the Epi.and thanks for the info omNorman Studio Guitars.

Well I won't be able to look at the Epi agian tomorrow ,the guy's going to be too busy

.I haven't had a decent acoustic for about 20 years so I can wait a little longer.

Archived