Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts 3-Packs are on sale @ MF for $20

humbuckerstrat

• Members

I bought a couple of sets in my last batch and they didn't last very long. Wasn't impressed with the tones either. Pretty cold sounding.

I also made the mistake of trying Fender Super Bullets again. Had the exact same problem I did years ago. The dam D string was 1/4 tone flat at the 12th fret even with the saddle moved its maximum towards the neck. This is an indication the core wire for the D string is too thin and flexible.

Its too bad because the other strings sounded pretty good otherwise. I didn't have them on the instrument for more then an hour before I had to take them off. One sour string like that makes the instrument unplayable. I with Fender would get their act together and fix this problem. They used to make decent strings and you'd figure they would find the cause of which has existed for many years now.

I've had the same problem with DR strings. I haven't tried those in several years either. I usually throw in an extra set when I buy a dozen but I hate throwing my money away like that. I could stick the bullets on an old beater, but all they would do is rot.

• Members
I bought a couple of sets in my last batch and they didn't last very long. Wasn't impressed with the tones either. Pretty cold sounding.

I also made the mistake of trying Fender Super Bullets again. Had the exact same problem I did years ago. The dam D string was 1/4 tone flat at the 12th fret even with the saddle moved its maximum towards the neck. This is an indication the core wire for the D string is too thin and flexible.

Its too bad because the other strings sounded pretty good otherwise. I didn't have them on the instrument for more then an hour before I had to take them off. One sour string like that makes the instrument unplayable. I with Fender would get their act together and fix this problem. They used to make decent strings and you'd figure they would find the cause of which has existed for many years now.

I've had the same problem with DR strings. I haven't tried those in several years either. I usually throw in an extra set when I buy a dozen but I hate throwing my money away like that. I could stick the bullets on an old beater, but all they would do is rot.

My favorite strings are D'Addario. But for $20 a 3-pack, I have to try the Cobalts.

I haven't bought Fender strings in a long time.

• Members
My favorite strings are D'Addario. But for $20 a 3-pack, I have to try the Cobalts.

I haven't bought Fender strings in a long time.

I use about a dozen strings a month to keep all my studio instruments strung up. I've tried nearly every brand out there at one time or another.

For durability, gauge balance and tone you may want to try one of these sets.

Sfarzo SFT: http://www.juststrings.com/sfarzoelectricguitarsft.html

Sfarzo 5901: Comes with an extra E string http://www.juststrings.com/sfarzoelectricguitar5109.html

These are back on my list. They fixed their gauging issues at the factory and used sealed packs now.

SIT: http://www.juststrings.com/sitstringselectricguitarpowerwound.html

These are the best strings I've found for Strats. They are bright, clear, articulate and give a Strat that Dire Straits tone. Durability is good too.

Progressives: http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricguitarprogressives.html

Budget strings, Its hard to beat these for consistency and even feel.

Boomers: http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricguitarboomers.html

Lastly, there's a reason why this manufacturer has been around so long. For string feel I have to rate these on the top of the scale. If you want to get pure plain vintage tones without weird coloration, these are the strings I use. I'll make these notes however. The sets aren't cheap but do come with an extra E and B string. This is because they are a vintage formula and they can unwind at the ball end with vigorous string bending. I found a way around that however and use a method to prevent this with all my strings. I put a drop of crazy glue on the ball end, let it dry, then wipe off any excess. This prevents the strings from unwinding and going out of tune. I recommend this for all strings weather you think its a problem or not.

LaBella: http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricguitarnickel.html

All other strings I've tried range from mediocre to poor in quality for electrics using 9/46 gauges. This is not to say there aren't other brands that compete well in other gauges. D'Addario makes great bass strings for example and put them at the top of my list. Haven't been very happy with their .009's however. The B string is flabby and I tend to stumble over that string allot playing high speed leads. Tone wise they are fairly sterile sounding and chimed overtones are hard to produce consistently. The strings stretch allot, possibly from temp changes, so I wind up spending way too much time keeping them in tune. I can get buy recording with them but performing live I have much better options for stability.

• Members

I use about a dozen strings a month to keep all my studio instruments strung up. I've tried nearly every brand out there at one time or another.

For durability, gauge balance and tone you may want to try one of these sets.

Sfarzo SFT: http://www.juststrings.com/sfarzoelectricguitarsft.html

Sfarzo 5901: Comes with an extra E string http://www.juststrings.com/sfarzoelectricguitar5109.html

These are back on my list. They fixed their gauging issues at the factory and used sealed packs now.

SIT: http://www.juststrings.com/sitstringselectricguitarpowerwound.html

These are the best strings I've found for Strats. They are bright, clear, articulate and give a Strat that Dire Straits tone. Durability is good too.

Progressives: http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricguitarprogressives.html

Budget strings, Its hard to beat these for consistency and even feel.

Boomers: http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricguitarboomers.html

Lastly, there's a reason why this manufacturer has been around so long. For string feel I have to rate these on the top of the scale. If you want to get pure plain vintage tones without weird coloration, these are the strings I use. I'll make these notes however. The sets aren't cheap but do come with an extra E and B string. This is because they are a vintage formula and they can unwind at the ball end with vigorous string bending. I found a way around that however and use a method to prevent this with all my strings. I put a drop of crazy glue on the ball end, let it dry, then wipe off any excess. This prevents the strings from unwinding and going out of tune. I recommend this for all strings weather you think its a problem or not.

LaBella: http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricguitarnickel.html

All other strings I've tried range from mediocre to poor in quality for electrics using 9/46 gauges. This is not to say there aren't other brands that compete well in other gauges. D'Addario makes great bass strings for example and put them at the top of my list. Haven't been very happy with their .009's however. The B string is flabby and I tend to stumble over that string allot playing high speed leads. Tone wise they are fairly sterile sounding and chimed overtones are hard to produce consistently. The strings stretch allot, possibly from temp changes, so I wind up spending way too much time keeping them in tune. I can get buy recording with them but performing live I have much better options for stability.

Thanks for the links, WRGKMC :staticphil:

• Members
^^^^^^^^^^

Man, you obsess with the irrelevant minutiae.

images3_zps49a0cffa.jpg

What word best defines not knowing why smaller details matter?

1. lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

2. lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.

3. discourteous or rude

Those who fail to understand how small details influence the bigger picture are "ignorant" to why those details matter.

• Members

What word best defines not knowing why smaller details matter?

1. lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

2. lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.

3. discourteous or rude

Those who fail to understand how small details influence the bigger picture are "ignorant" to why those details matter.

As usual your reading comprehension lets you down. My remark was on the irrelevant minutiae.

It would help if you didn't flip frop from complete over analysis to broad sweeping generalisations, whilst in both cases thinking you are imparting the wisdom of soloman.

The real definition of igorance is the ignorance that leads you to beleive you are the only one with knowledge.

• Members

As usual your reading comprehension lets you down. My remark was on the irrelevant minutiae.

It would help if you didn't flip frop from complete over analysis to broad sweeping generalisations, whilst in both cases thinking you are imparting the wisdom of soloman.

The real definition of igorance is the ignorance that leads you to beleive you are the only one with knowledge.

I hate to break it to you but I have the right to post anything I choose so long as HC allows me.

You on the other hand have the Right ignore anything I post. They even make it easy for you. Its called an ignore list.

Since you seem to have some a major weed up your butt about everything I post. They made a real simple solution for this just for you. Simply place me on your ignore list. Then you wont have to read all the terribly disturbing things I post nor bend you mind moving from over analysis to broad sweeping generali"z"ations.

• Members

I hate to break it to you but I have the right to post anything I choose so long as HC allows me.

You on the other hand have the Right ignore anything I post. They even make it easy for you. Its called an ignore list.

Since you seem to have some a major weed up your butt about everything I post. They made a real simple solution for this just for you. Simply place me on your ignore list. Then you wont have to read all the terribly disturbing things I post nor bend you mind moving from over analysis to broad sweeping generali"z"ations.

In post after post you rubbish some of the biggest string makers in the world. They make products fit for purpose, thats why millions of people disagree with you by buying their products. So post what you want but I would advise you that libel is valid on forums as well.

In one thread you say that wood is a major part of tone. In this thread you say one make of string will give you the dire straights tone. Cant you see the issue? I will give you a clue, its not consistency.

I wont put you on Ignore because your posts amuse me. I love your pseudo science ramblings. And you wont be the first baby to put me on ignore for voicing a different point of vew.. People on here seem scared of robust discussion, mainly those who know they are on shakey ground.

• Members
. . . D'Addario makes great bass strings for example and put them at the top of my list. Haven't been very happy with their .009's however. The B string is flabby and I tend to stumble over that string allot playing high speed leads. . . .

This is fairly common in .009's because the B is a .011 instead of a .012 like it should be. That also applies to Cleartone, Curt Mangan, Dean Markley, Dunlop, Fender, GHS Boomers and Progressives, LaBella, and the Sfarzos and SITs you like so much. Pyramids are an exception but they're not cheap and anyway I've never tried them. Whenever I buy strings, I buy .009's and a .012 to replace the B. I don't play leads but the .011 B just feels wrong.

• Members

This is fairly common in .009's because the B is a .011 instead of a .012 like it should be. That also applies to Cleartone, Curt Mangan, Dean Markley, Dunlop, Fender, GHS Boomers and Progressives, LaBella, and the Sfarzos and SITs you like so much. Pyramids are an exception but they're not cheap and anyway I've never tried them. Whenever I buy strings, I buy .009's and a .012 to replace the B. I don't play leads but the .011 B just feels wrong.

Try the D'Addario balanced tension 9's. They have a 12 for b and a very similar tension across the set.

• Members

In post after post you rubbish some of the biggest string makers in the world. They make products fit for purpose, thats why millions of people disagree with you by buying their products. So post what you want but I would advise you that libel is valid on forums as well.

In one thread you say that wood is a major part of tone. In this thread you say one make of string will give you the dire straights tone. Cant you see the issue? I will give you a clue, its not consistency.

I wont put you on Ignore because your posts amuse me. I love your pseudo science ramblings. And you wont be the first baby to put me on ignore for voicing a different point of vew.. People on here seem scared of robust discussion, mainly those who know they are on shakey ground.

Again I should inform you there's only a handful of steel manufacturers who actually make magnetic wire for musical instrument strings. Have you ever visited a steel manufacturer before? I have. I used to have to visit a couple when doing field service calls. You learn a whole lot carrying a tool bag for a living doing field service and an electronic tech. I've visited more major companies then you can possibly imagine doing 7 service calls a day, 5 days a week for 35 years on the road. Over that time I've gotten to see how many thousands of businesses operate from the inside out. When I visit one that interests me I ask the employees questions about their business and how they make their products and most are more then willing to share what they do for a living. This surely doesn't make me an expert, but I at least get to see many of the things I post about being done first hand.

String manufacturers don't forge their own steel so everything you read about secret formulas on guitar string packages is 100% poop. They get all the info about the wire they buy from the steel manufacturer and write it up as an advertisement taking creative license on how "they" designed the alloy. In reality they take what little info they can gather from the steel manufacturer and make it look like there's some super secret formula unique to their strings only they have access too. Baloney

Steel manufacturers have a selection of various types of wire they sell to the string companies. The grades of wire vary in price depending on the quality and purity of the metals. "If" the string manufacturer has a big business and wants something unique, they pay a premium for that wire to be made exclusively for them. They contract that formula as a business deal.

That doesn't stop other steel manufacturer from forging the same formula, especially the mills in the Orient, Mexico and other countries who don't recognize patent laws. Many will make you anything you want and copy anyone's materials for a buck. In the past they weren't a threat because their quality was poor, but they have stolen enough secrets over the years through corporate espionage where those trade secrets are no longer unique.

Its not the string manufacturers who are the chemists that come up with the various alloys, its the steel manufacturers who do "all" of that. Steel manufacturers are the ones that forge the steel and provide the product. String manufacturers are just simple assemblers who wrapped strings, stick on ball ends and package them. They buy what is available in a wholesale catalog from steel manufacturers in bulk. If they are lucky, they will sign a contract to buy enough unique bulk material so they retain an exclusive product. The steel manufacture provides that client exclusive use of that alloy for as long as they make a profit.

The companies who actually wrap strings, also wrap strings for other clients. Half of the string brands out there don't even wind them. They buy the strings pre made in bulk, wrap them in packages and tack on a lower markup as a profit margin. Many companies like fender and Gibson no longer wrap their own strings. They subcontract it out to companies overseas and may or may not own a share in that company.

These are called "branded" strings. The companies that wrap popular strings consist of around a half dozen companies. There's also several in the orient now who wrap strings for the highest bidder. The companies who own the machines to wrap strings also wrap strings for other branded string sellers. They simply use different grades of wire then their own. Last time I checked there are only about 6 popular companies that wind their own strings. The rest subcontract orders for strings to be made for them by these companies. Its impossible to have exact information because much of this is not information the public has access to.

Second, if you actually understood what your read that thread, you would have seen where I stated, those guitars tested had the "same" strings on them. I never said strings had no influence on tone and in fact said the opposite at least twice. Again, I'll stand by my statement you're looking for absolutes in a world where absolutes don't exist. You bumble along making false statements like that based on what "you" believe you read, and expect others to believe you. Its because you have that chip on your shoulder, people recognize you as person with a chip on your shoulder who targets anyone who doesn't agree with your narrow views.

You haven't even learned the first rule in life that you cannot elevate your status in life by dragging others down to make yourself taller. Even if I did say something like you suggested, you should have made that statement in that thread not drag it over to someone else's thread. You only wind up looking like the small man you actually are.

The only way you gain status in life is by respecting others and if that respect is honest, its your peers are the ones who elevate your opinions. You cant storm the gates and steal respect from others. Only fools like yourself resort to that childlike approach. You earn respect it on a daily basis and without the help of you're peers you are nobody.

• Members

^^^^^^^^^

Youre in la la land again

7 calls a day 5 days a week for 35 years. Rubbish, utter rubbish.

My team at IBM couldnt do that on a walking patch In central london. (Unless you were just checking the UPS and dusting the box.) Put a half hour drive in there between customers and its laughable.

How that is relevant anyway I fail to see. So I dont even understand why you bother to lie about it.

You may as well write another 1000 words on what Christmas tree you prefer.

Oh by the way it was in this thread that you said SIT strings would give you that Dire Straits tone. Still makes me smile.

You obviously know your stuff but still come out with crap like that.

• Members

Axe to grind much? I'd rather just play mine.

Have heard DRs slammed before, but I don't get it. Never had problem one with them and I dig the way they sound. But I use only tens. Also gotta put in a good word for Musician's Friend proprietary Musician's Gear strings on the budget side. At two bucks a pack, they sound and play as well as any of the midline stuff IMO (Daddario, Ernie Ball, GHS, etc.,) to me at least. Just an opinion though, not trying to mislead anybody.

PS Thx to Humbucker on the heads up but gotta say that the fretwear thing coupled with the tone thing are enough to scare me off them.

• Members
^^^^^^^^^

You're in la la land again

7 calls a day 5 days a week for 35 years. Rubbish, utter rubbish.

My team at IBM couldn't do that on a walking patch In central london. (Unless you were just checking the UPS and dusting the box.) Put a half hour drive in there between customers and its laughable. ~~

Sir I have no reasons to lie about anything. Are you sure you work in the business? If so I'd say, just because you work with a bunch of lazy techs who cant do an honest days work it doesn't mean other companies are that relaxed. Sounds to me like your techs don't know what a hard days work is. That's why companies like IBM and Xerox are so far off the radar screen now they don't even compete in the world market any more. Too much dead wood working for them.

Your people wont be able to earn a living here in the US with such poor numbers so forget about transferring here. We have enough freeloaders. We don't have tea ten times a day, we work for a living. Even Canon's "world" average for service calls is 5 calls a day and they have a 2~4 hour response time. That means you have inexperienced rookie techs who can only pull three calls a day mixed with veterans who can pull 7 or more to get that average. You wouldn't even keep get a job here if you cant meet that average. Small companies require even better numbers so they can compete with the big companies.

How that is relevant anyway I fail to see. So I don't even understand why you bother to lie about it.

If you don't understand, I see no reason to explain. Talking to you is like talking to a dead phone. It goes no place.

Oh by the way it was in this thread that you said SIT strings would give you that Dire Straits tone. Still makes me smile. You obviously know your stuff but still come out with crap like that.

:philpalm:I give up. I haven't got a clue where you come up with these stupid statements. I made that comment about GHS Progressives strings not SIT's. http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricguitarprogressives.html

I don't know if its your inability to read or you just invent things to get a kick out of pissing people off who are trying to help others. In either case you are totally lame at both.

Archived