Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Gates and other real songwriters.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Gates and other real songwriters.

As an exercise I was putting together a list of songs that you could just pick up a guitar at a party or on the beachand play. I was surprised how many of them were Bread songs. Gates stuff seems to cut seamlessly from band down to just a guy and guitar. Some Beatles like Norwegian wood also went on it

Ended up with a lot of Bread, James Taylor, Woody Guthrie, John Denver and a couple of Gordon Lightfoots that I can never remember all the lyrics too (The Wreck of theEdmund Fitzgerald)
    Dang I forgot just how good that one was

Who would you put on your list?

ps "I gave my love a cherry" is out for well known reasons
    Last edited by Chordite; 08-13-2014, 02:59 PM.

I like Gordon Lightfoot, he sings in my vocal range too.
    MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Not too many of those types of songs on the radio anymore. I can't imagine Poker Face with just an acoustic for example lol
      Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

Much of Bob Seger's catalog is relatively easy to play unaccompanied. A lot of Tom Petty too.
        Epi 339-Pro (Cherry) | Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran acoustic-electric | Fender Mustang III v2: Swamp Thang | Fender Super Champ XD: Ragin' Cajun

Comment

Lola by the Kinks
          Patience by Guns n Roses
          Dust in the Wind by Kansas

Comment

I did a fingerstyle version of Cat Stevens "Wild World" recently at an open mic. "In my life" by the Beatles and "As tears go by" by the Stones can be done beautifully on acoustic guitar. Jangly things by Country rockers like Credence, America and the Eagles also translate well.
            "Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Comment

Working...
            X