Stew-Mac Golden Age Over Wounds .... Tried it yet ?

AJ6stringsting

• Members

I've been looking for a cleaner / hotter neck pick ( ranged between 10.5 k ohms - 12.2k ohms). I tried the hotter neck pickup versions of Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Bare Knuckle and WCR. Most of them were either too muddy or too thin sounding.

Have any of you tried the Stew-Mac Golden Age Over wound Humbuckers ?

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar/Golden_Age_Overwound_Humbuckers.html

Any feedback would be appreciated ;)

• Members

I know this isn't your question but I'm running the StewMac Parson Street PAF clones in my Faux Paul and very happy with them - I play the neck almost exclusively. However, as you've probably guessed from many of my other posts, I really don't know poop about this whole subject so take this for what its worth.

• Members
I heard those S-M Parson Street pickups are not wax potted, are they ?

I'm just looking for a slightly hotter neck pickup and really not so into the PAF 50's neck sound.

I believe that is true. I did want the '50's warm sound - my guitar is supposed to be a copy of a '57 'burst and that is the sound I grew up liking. I'm also a pretty poor judge of these things - I'm not sure I could really hear the difference unless I did some side by side testing. Good luck with your search.

• Moderators

I know a guy who put one in, beautiful sounding tone. I'm after, a mean evil Les Paul Custom sound, for 80's Metal.

The EJ Custom is awesome at anything to be honest, but a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon will do what you ask.

You need to be careful about the DC resistance as higher is muddier, simple.

If you go over to the Seymour Duncan forums, you'll get advised to just get a decent pickup wound to around 8k and swap an Alnico 8 magnet in.

Archived