Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stew-Mac Golden Age Over Wounds .... Tried it yet ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stew-Mac Golden Age Over Wounds .... Tried it yet ?

I've been looking for a cleaner / hotter neck pick ( ranged between 10.5 k ohms - 12.2k ohms). I tried the hotter neck pickup versions of Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Bare Knuckle and WCR. Most of them were either too muddy or too thin sounding.
    Have any of you tried the Stew-Mac Golden Age Over wound Humbuckers ?

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...umbuckers.html

Any feedback would be appreciated
    Guns don't kill people .... Fathers with beautiful Daughters do !!!!

I know this isn't your question but I'm running the StewMac Parson Street PAF clones in my Faux Paul and very happy with them - I play the neck almost exclusively. However, as you've probably guessed from many of my other posts, I really don't know poop about this whole subject so take this for what its worth.

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
      AJ6stringsting commented
      Editing a comment
      How do those Parson Street PAF sound ?
      Because. I'm all ears when it comes to tonal voicing of pickups. I play a wide range of music.

I heard those S-M Parson Street pickups are not wax potted, are they ?
    I'm just looking for a slightly hotter neck pickup and really not so into the PAF 50's neck sound.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ6stringsting View Post
      I heard those S-M Parson Street pickups are not wax potted, are they ?
      I'm just looking for a slightly hotter neck pickup and really not so into the PAF 50's neck sound.
      I believe that is true. I did want the '50's warm sound - my guitar is supposed to be a copy of a '57 'burst and that is the sound I grew up liking. I'm also a pretty poor judge of these things - I'm not sure I could really hear the difference unless I did some side by side testing. Good luck with your search.

Comment

I have a 16.9k ohms Dragon Fire pickup in the bridge of my Les Paul Custom. I was thinking of putting in the stock bridge pick up ( rated at 14.20k oms) with a 15 mf. cap in the neck position and reversing the pickup like Peter Green / Gary Moore did.
        Last edited by AJ6stringsting; 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I read the title as some kind of relicing varnish and can you use it on dings?
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
            AJ6stringsting commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL !!!!
            Good one ....

• 1001gear
            1001gear commented
            Editing a comment
            You shoulda seen the interdimensional glare I gave myself when I started reading the thread.

Look at the Eric Johnson Custom Di Marzio neck humbucker
          Last edited by Ratae Corieltauvorum; 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM.
          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Ratae Corieltauvorum View Post
            Look at the Eric Johnson Custom Di Marzio neck humbucker

I know a guy who put one in, beautiful sounding tone. I'm after, a mean evil Les Paul Custom sound, for 80's Metal.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ6stringsting View Post

I know a guy who put one in, beautiful sounding tone. I'm after, a mean evil Les Paul Custom sound, for 80's Metal.
              The EJ Custom is awesome at anything to be honest, but a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon will do what you ask.

You need to be careful about the DC resistance as higher is muddier, simple.

If you go over to the Seymour Duncan forums, you'll get advised to just get a decent pickup wound to around 8k and swap an Alnico 8 magnet in.
              Last edited by Ratae Corieltauvorum; 08-15-2014, 05:02 AM.
              Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

I own a Screamin' Demon, it's in my 1974 Gib. LPC in the neck position.
                One thing about the EJ Custom, you lower it on a clean channel, it's almost sounds like an acoustic.

Comment

Working...
                X