22 nd fret - do you need it?

knotty

• Members

Sometimes, not often. I like the idea of 24 frets but wouldn't require much at all. In saying that, 21 fret strats seem kinda dumb, why not have the extra fret? I guess it's that vintage vibe but whatever.

And speaking of vintage strats... I also hate truss rods that force you to remove the neck to adjust, very dumb.

• Members

I noodle a lot on a 21 fret Fernandes and 99% of the time I stay well within limits but if the spirit moves you it's not unusual to be in a key where that orgasm lick is a couple frets short. Sometimes you can cover with a bend but there's little else you can do about it.

• Members

I would never buy a 24 either because I think it is critical to have the neck pickup under the "24th" harmonic position (though I understand the case against that )

Personally I would never use it. Like stormin1155 the 17th is normally about it for me. I like to double track the basic chords an octave up but a 21 is plenty to cover that quirk.

• Members
Only on cover gigs where I have to play a song that specifically used that note.

Thank you. That's what it all boils down to, one frickin note. Sounds like that one note is pretty important for some. I have two of each type and can't say I've ever noticed any deficit on the 21 fret guitars. It's not like the 21 fret variety is any shorter or feels any different under playing conditions. (That 22nd fret on a Fender is just a thin extension over the body.)

Archived