Thin Guitar necks

Plato5v

• Members

I played a friend's 1965 Fender Mustang Guitar. Its neck was very thin and I liked it. I was wondering if any new guitars come with such thin necks.

I currently play a Stratocaster with a C neck.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

• Members

The majority of newer guitars come with thin necks. Typically, guitars for shredding come with thin necks. The Ibanez Wizard is a good example. You can always buy a thin neck from Warmoth if you're putting it on a fender or other bolt on neck.

The Classic Vibe Asian Fenders have thin necks. Good bang for buck.

For what it's worth, I can't stand them. Hard to find a thick neck these days.

• Members

Plato, are we talking thin or narrow? Thin, meaning the thickness of the neck from the fretboard to the point your hand is, or narrow, meaning the distance from the two 'E' strings.

And didn't the Mustang have a shorter scale, like the Duo Sonic?

And me myself and I, have always preferred neck with some meat to them.

• Members

Judging from experience with old Fender short scale offsets, the OP means a narrow neck, not thin. There were 2 neck widths on those guitars. A and B widths. The A is pretty narrow, but still chunky in depth. I find them pretty comfortable myself, and lots of fun to play. In my journeys, I have not found a modern guitar with that shape to the neck. Rickenbackers are close, but feel different, perhaps due to scale length.

• Members

I guess I should have been more specific. The Mustang had a very thin and narrow neck. It was narrower than any guitar I have ever seen. I have played some of the Squires and this was significantly narrower than them. It was almost like it was made for a child. Also, they do have a shorter scale.

I appreciate all the replies.

• Members

I can't speak for the Cobain Mustang, but all of the other modern Mustangs I've tried felt nothing like like the original ones to me. There are two that I play regularly, a 65 and 69. I assume they are both the narrower "A" width. For what they're getting for the Cobain models, you can probably find a players grade vintage Mustang or DuoSonic.

• Members
Thin necks equal...confidence with preference

Thick necks equal...lack of confidence also known as over-compensation.

Preferring what you prefer w/o worry of criticism= musician.

I can't argue with illogic

I guess I should have been more specific. The Mustang had a very thin and narrow neck. It was narrower than any guitar I have ever seen. I have played some of the Squires and this was significantly narrower than them. It was almost like it was made for a child. Also, they do have a shorter scale.

I appreciate all the replies.

Fender made four neck widths (measured across the fingerboard at the nut) back in the 60s. They were called A, B, C and D widths, and they were 1 1/2" (A), 1 5/8" (B), 1 3/4" ©, and 1 7/8" (D) wide. The B width was the "standard" width, and the one you're most likely to encounter... but quite a few Mustangs have the narrow A width necks; particularly on the shorter scale (22.5") necks. Mustangs also come in 24" scale length versions - these are far more common than the 22.5" scale necks, and the only ones still available on "new" Mustangs today. As far as I know, all of the current Mustang models have necks that are roughly 1.625" wide at the nut, which is comparable to the old B width necks.

By the way, not all 60s era necks are thin from fingerboard to the back of the neck either - I have a vintage '65 Mustang neck that I purchased on Ebay with the intention of using it on a guitar project, but I never used it because it is very thick and has a U-shaped profile. I prefer thinner necks (from fingerboard to the back of the neck) in the .750-.800 thickness range, and with narrower "shoulders", so that it has more of a C or soft-v shaped profile.

Archived