Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thin Guitar necks

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I thought so..... they were a 24" or something like that. I would suggest a Peavy Patriot, or the T-15. both were pretty narrow, with an interesting scale. The Fender Duo-Sonic is also a choice.
    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

how about a Fender Mustang?
      http://www.fender.com/guitars/mustang/

Last edited by peskypesky; 08-09-2014, 05:43 PM.
      The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
      Lou Reed

Comment

The Kurt Cobain model has the most narrow neck, according to nut width.
        Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
        http://www.fender.com/guitars/mustan...rd-fiesta-red/
        The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
        Lou Reed

Comment

I can't speak for the Cobain Mustang, but all of the other modern Mustangs I've tried felt nothing like like the original ones to me. There are two that I play regularly, a 65 and 69. I assume they are both the narrower "A" width. For what they're getting for the Cobain models, you can probably find a players grade vintage Mustang or DuoSonic.

Comment

Thin necks equal...confidence with preference

Thick necks equal...lack of confidence also known as over-compensation.

Preferring what you prefer w/o worry of criticism= musician.

Comment

Originally posted by RGfretter View Post

I can't argue with illogic

Comment

Originally posted by RGfretter View Post

Uh, wha?
                My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
                Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Originally posted by Plato5v View Post
                  I guess I should have been more specific. The Mustang had a very thin and narrow neck. It was narrower than any guitar I have ever seen. I have played some of the Squires and this was significantly narrower than them. It was almost like it was made for a child. Also, they do have a shorter scale.

I appreciate all the replies.
                  Fender made four neck widths (measured across the fingerboard at the nut) back in the 60s. They were called A, B, C and D widths, and they were 1 1/2" (A), 1 5/8" (B), 1 3/4" (C), and 1 7/8" (D) wide. The B width was the "standard" width, and the one you're most likely to encounter... but quite a few Mustangs have the narrow A width necks; particularly on the shorter scale (22.5") necks. Mustangs also come in 24" scale length versions - these are far more common than the 22.5" scale necks, and the only ones still available on "new" Mustangs today. As far as I know, all of the current Mustang models have necks that are roughly 1.625" wide at the nut, which is comparable to the old B width necks.

By the way, not all 60s era necks are thin from fingerboard to the back of the neck either - I have a vintage '65 Mustang neck that I purchased on Ebay with the intention of using it on a guitar project, but I never used it because it is very thick and has a U-shaped profile. I prefer thinner necks (from fingerboard to the back of the neck) in the .750-.800 thickness range, and with narrower "shoulders", so that it has more of a C or soft-v shaped profile.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by V-8 View Post
                    Thin necks =

Fat necks =
                    I resemble that remark...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
                      AJ6stringsting commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL !!!!
                      .... you look cool in the "Fro" !!!!

• Phil O'Keefe
                      Phil O'Keefe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you sir! Those emoticons crack me up - all of the phil ones were made by various forum members.

I am looking at one of the Mustangs, either the reissue 65 mustang or the kurt cobain mustang. Both have neck width of 1.625 which is about the smallest I have seen. The Pawn shop mustang is interesting but its neck is 1.65. I need to find a guitar shop that has these but I live in a rather rural area with few guitar stores.

I play a variety of music including Blues, Jazz, Spiritual, Old rock, and old country. It seems the Mustangs are pretty versatile and would work with most music styles.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for all the comments they have been very helpful.
                    Last edited by Plato5v; 08-13-2014, 06:06 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty familiar with most of the vintage and current Mustangs / Musicmasters / Duo Sonics. The current '65 has a medium sized neck in terms of thickness (fretboard to back of neck), and roughly a B width - about 1.625" at the nut. The Cobain Mustangs are similar in width, but from what I've heard, they tend to be thinner from front to back. Apparently Kurt liked thin necks. Both of those Mustang models are MIJ, while the current Pawn Shop Mustangs are MIM; the originals were made in Japan though.

If you want the best odds of getting a neck that feels more svelte and slender, I'd suggest trying a Cobain Mustang. They're going to be as narrow as you're likely to find in a modern Fender (1.625") and the front to back thinness helps make them feel smaller and easier on the hands for those with smaller hands or shorter fingers. They also have the advantage of being factory routed for, and equipped with a full-sized humbucker in the bridge position. You could pull that humbucker out, replace the pickguard and put in a single coil if you wanted to have a more traditional looking Mustang, but TBH a lot of people like a beefier bridge pickup - the stock one, due to the positioning and shorter scale length of 24", can be a bit of a wimp on some Mustangs.

As far as vintage Mustangs / Musicmasters / Duo Sonics, the necks are all over the place in terms of size. I've never seen a Mustang with a D-width, but that doesn't mean someone didn't order one at some point. A and B widths are much more common. I find A-width necks to be a bit too narrow for the tips of my snausage fingers to fit in between strings very easily - I hit stuff I don't want to hit too much on a super-narrow neck like that... but because my fingers are shorter, I prefer the thinner necks and slim shoulder neck profiles since they simply fit my hands better.

- George Carlin

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was also thinking the humbucker would be nice.

I have just about decided that the Kurt Cobain Mustang is about the closest I can get to what I want. I like the idea of the Humbucker pickup for a more versatile sound. It has the 1.625 width and radius is 7.25.

I have listened to it on youtube but so far have not found any music stores nearby where I can play one.

I see that AMS has one that was returned and now selling as a dent and scatch for $720. I don't really care if it has some small imperfections as long as it is setup well. I get varying reports on how well these guitars are setup by the factory or the stories selling them. Some indicate problems with the tremolo and other say the intonation is very bad. However, AMS has a good return policy.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
                        Last edited by Plato5v; 08-14-2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plato5v View Post
                          I guess I should have been more specific. The Mustang had a very thin and narrow neck. It was narrower than any guitar I have ever seen. I have played some of the Squires and this was significantly narrower than them. It was almost like it was made for a child. Also, they do have a shorter scale.

I appreciate all the replies.

No duh, they were originally intended as a student (Child's) model.

Comment

Working...
                          X