Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Guitar necks

I played a friend's 1965 Fender Mustang Guitar. Its neck was very thin and I liked it. I was wondering if any new guitars come with such thin necks.

I currently play a Stratocaster with a C neck.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

The majority of newer guitars come with thin necks. Typically, guitars for shredding come with thin necks. The Ibanez Wizard is a good example. You can always buy a thin neck from Warmoth if you're putting it on a fender or other bolt on neck.

The Classic Vibe Asian Fenders have thin necks. Good bang for buck.

For what it's worth, I can't stand them. Hard to find a thick neck these days.
    MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI64 / Martin D15S / Guild D55
    Simon & Patrick Cedar

Comment

I'm with you billybilly. Give me a baseball bat!
      Guitars: 3 Partscasters (SSS, SSH, and Tele), Gibson SG Special Faded (heavily modified), Fender Classic Player Thinline Telecaster
      Effects: RMC4 Wah, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Dunlop BoG Fuzzface, EHX Soul Food, BYOC TS-808, EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, MXR Phase 90, Way Huge Aqua Puss Delay, TC Hall of Fame Reverb
      Amps: Silverface Champ, Blues Junior with BillM mods

Comment

I never understood why neck shape has not been more than a feel issue in electrics. For classical they would measure your hand and find a guitar that ''fitted''.
        "I don't think he's a liar, just a fantasist. He says whatever he likes, and then he believes it."
        Norman Tebbit

Comment

My Squier has a narrow neck . I love the guitar but not so much the neck.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

Many Danolectros also have thinner neck profiles, if you prefer a different / more throwback look.

Comment

Plato, are we talking thin or narrow? Thin, meaning the thickness of the neck from the fretboard to the point your hand is, or narrow, meaning the distance from the two 'E' strings.
                And didn't the Mustang have a shorter scale, like the Duo Sonic?
                And me myself and I, have always preferred neck with some meat to them.
                Last edited by badpenguin; 08-08-2014, 05:48 PM.
                My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762 Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 70 Epiphone ET260 bass 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and quite a few others.

Comment

The old Peavey T-60's had really thin necks.

Comment

Judging from experience with old Fender short scale offsets, the OP means a narrow neck, not thin. There were 2 neck widths on those guitars. A and B widths. The A is pretty narrow, but still chunky in depth. I find them pretty comfortable myself, and lots of fun to play. In my journeys, I have not found a modern guitar with that shape to the neck. Rickenbackers are close, but feel different, perhaps due to scale length.

Comment

Thin necks =

Fat necks =

Comment

I own a Kramer Knight Swan from 1988, 24 frets and a very thin neck. Best neck, I've ever played on.
                        Guns don't kill people .... Fathers with beautiful Daughters do !!!!

Comment

1966 Gibson ES-335TD with "pencil neck" as I one heard it referred to as

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

I have Carvins with thin necks that are easy to play....but they need truss rod adjustments every year.
                            "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

I guess I should have been more specific. The Mustang had a very thin and narrow neck. It was narrower than any guitar I have ever seen. I have played some of the Squires and this was significantly narrower than them. It was almost like it was made for a child. Also, they do have a shorter scale.

I appreciate all the replies.

Comment

Working...
                              X