Used to be able to cuss in here.

mark theriac

• Members

The heck you say. Seriously, I don't generally find it necessary. In fact, I'm an occasional member of a non-music-related forum where profanity is not only allowed but encouraged and I'm not particularly comfortable there. You haven't lived until you've been cussed out by a mod simply because he thinks you're wrong about something. My sister-in-law used to be fond of saying "Profanity is a sign of a weak mind."

• Members

I remember one of our playwrights talking about how, in the desert war, their armoured vehicle broke an axle and the corporal looked underneath, kicked the wheel and said something that sounded a bit like

"Fack! The Facking Facker's Facked."

Sometimes there isn't the time to think up fancy language. :)

• Members
Gives you opportunity to develop vocabulary skills. Shakespeare and many others seem to be able to get ideas across without profanity.

Fixed. Seriously, he invented words like "zounds" and "odds bodkins" precisely because they were replacements for contemporary profanity (i.e., "God's wounds," "God's bones.") I'm sure we all remember W. C. Fields and "Godfrey Daniel." We knew what he meant but he didn't have to say it. He was pushing the envelope like Shakespeare. "Drat" and "Curses" work too. In normal circumstances, "Oh, poop!" is about my limit.

• Moderators
Jesus! Cant even say **************** or **************** in here no more. Corporate censors in here now. No wonder HC has gone to hell in a handbag!

Mark, the irony is the "curse filter" doesn't operate at top level, so if you go to your thread in the front page and let your cursor rest on it, you will see your own profanity:)

• Moderators
Gives you opportunity to develop vocabulary skills. Shakespeare and many others seem to be able to get ideas across without profanity.

You kiddin right. Shakespeare loved foul language, he just deployed it in a rather subtle and perhaps even more offensive way

http://mymarginalia.wordpress.com/20...rt-of-cursing/

http://www.novelguide.com/reportessay/literature/mythology/evolution-profanity

• Members

My favorite Bill Shakespeare bit of bawdiness, from "Taming of the Shrew", gottdammit:

PETRUCHIO: Come, come, you wasp, i’faith you are too angry.

KATHERINE: If I be waspish, best beware my sting.

PETRUCHIO: My remedy is then to pluck it out.

KATHERINE: Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.

PETRUCHIO: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.

KATHERINE: In his tongue.

PETRUCHIO: Whose tongue?

KATHERINE: Yours, if you talk of tales, and so farewell.

PETRUCHIO: What, with my tongue in your tail?

Archived