Looking for a Small, Inexpensive Amp

Howie22

• Members

I am a seriously hard core acoustic guy, and have been for a lot of years. I broke out of my shell today and bought a FSR Butterscotch telecaster (NGD coming sometime next week). I haven't owned an electric guitar in a lot of years.

I want a small, inexpensive amp to start with. Used is fine, I'm thinking something in the $100-150 range would be ideal. Could possibly go more or less. Don't need big volume. I have no gig applications for an electric now. If something came up, I could always mic the amp.

My playing style/sound will be country, classic rock, and blues. So, I'd favor more of a tube amp sound - can't afford a nice tube amp now, though. I don't need super heavy distortion. I don't need a bunch of modeling and effects. Just gain, tone, and volume as the basics. Reverb on the amp would be nice to have.

At the store, I've been playing around quite a bit with that little Vox 4w Blue amp. I like it quite a bit, though it would probably be too expensive for now - even used. Seems like I also played one of those little 5w Bugera amps once and liked that as well. Since I'll probably mostly be playing at night after the kids are in bed, I also like the idea of the attenuation control switch on those.

Thought about the Vox hybrid amps. Also thought about the little Orange solid state numbers. Can't say I've played either of those in a long time, though.

Anything else I should be looking out for on the used market that would work well for me?

EDIT: Seven years and 1600 posts, and I didn't even realize that there was a separate amp forum. Mod can feel free to move this post over there

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love my Mustang I v2 Fender models and I have a setting that is pretty close to a VOX AC15. I think it sounds better than every $100 tube amp I have tried in the store and way better than any other modeling amp. It has bells and whistles and built in effects, etc... But that doesn't mean you have to use them. I have set up two fender amps models one Bassman and I think the other is a Twin and I do most of my playing by turning the knobs on those. Add the 65 reverb built in and that covers most of what I play. Yet when I feel like playing Metallica, I can select one of the high gain models, throw in some of the built in pedals and it's very satisfying. Best new amp for around $100. Of course you might get lucky and find a Blues Junior someone is giving away :)

• Members

I have a Mustang 1 and an Orange Micro Terror w a used $100 1-12 cab.

The Mustang 1 does good Fender cleans without a buncha tweakin and fiddlin. But getting much more out of it than that requires some computer tweaking and experimentation. If you are savy tho it can sound all kinds of great. Myself Im not much of a tweaker but my bandmate gets all kinds of good tones out of his.

But I LOVE the Micro Terror. It runs clean enough, especially with lower output single coils, and has more of a tube amp feel to it. You can also swap the tube for more clean headroom but I havnt found that necc. I even did an acoustic gig with it. Your tele and a decent cab and a reverb pedal and you can play country all day long. Or crank it for some killer gain. Take you tele to GC, plug the micro into some cheap used cab and try it out.

• Members

Roland Cube 20 XL... best practice amp I've ever owned, hands down. Picked it up used for $99 at Guitar Center about a year ago. Replaced my Fender Mustang II. Find one and try it... clean channel is outstanding, effects sound great, and the distortions sound good, as well.

• Members

The Fender Mustang combo with the best bang-for-the-buck is the Mustang III. After living with both a Mustang I and a Mustang II for a while, I found both left a bit to be desired if you want to play even at moderate volumes. Mainly, the speaker is too small in the Mustang I and the Mustang II doesn't have much clean power. The Mustang III has a much better 12-inch speaker than the Mustang II and a clean 100 solid state watts driving that better speaker, which makes a lot of difference.

However, if you are only looking for "small," then the highly-rated Yamaha THR10 series micro combos still has everyone beat for authentic classic amp reproduction. These do not have complicated controls. Just select the amp type, tweak the tone and drive knobs and you are done. These THR series amps have excellent amp emulation circuits, and due to their advance acoustic design, they sound positively huge compared to their size when you turn the volume up. You can even run them on batteries if you want. There are three models these days...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=Yamaha+THR10

Good demos...

[video=youtube;vzKOzppQi6k]

[video=youtube;vWjUVQbHLnM]

[video=youtube;ZQgu7IDrpAQ]

• Members

I found a Roland JC-77 for $250. You probably could, too. 2x10, strange-yet-musical built in distortion, with reverb and of course chorus. Sounds great quiet, and for a little more money, you would have an amp that would really never, ever need replacing. It also fits your musical profile and guitar well.

• Members

I recommend staying away from any amp that needs you to hook it up to a computer to "find the better tones." That includes the Fender Mustang and Yamaha THX amps. The sound quality just isn't there. You'll spend a ton of time in your computer chasing after the elusive satisfying tone only to fund that it ultimately sounds unsatisfying, in particular the over driven and distorted tones.

I think your very best option under the $500 price point is a Bugera V5. They are simply great amps. You can find them used at $130.

(Note the reviews on this amp on any site that sells them. They are overwhelmingly very positive).

http://www.amazon.com/Bugera-V5-Class-A-Amplifier-Attenuator/dp/B002GHBZ4U/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1406983212&sr=1-3&keywords=bugera+v22

A Bugera V22 would be another good option, though, it might well be a bigger amp then you want/need.

The Orange Micro Terror is another excellent amp. People may think of it as an amp that is all about the distorted sound but actually it has an excellent clean sound, too, especially if you place a reverb box in front of it. You'll need to buy a speaker cab and that will set you back another $100, so this one kind of kills your budget.

I commented a little on that amp here,

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31192912-cheap-chinese-pedals-and-a-new-rig

Couldn't be more pleased with both the Orange Micro and the Bugera V5.

• Members
However' date=' if you are only looking for "small,&quot [/quote'] Right now, it is more about affordable. Typically, I'm all about spending money up front. However, I've spent a lot already this year on music stuff, and I really don't have any true "need" for a big amp right now, and I have other places where my gig money needs to go right now. A used Mustang might be a good starter option for the price, just to get me going. I could always give it to my son in the event he gets more serious about playing guitar later on. I also really like the idea of the Micro Terror and V5, in that I could start small and add a bigger cab later. Thanks for the feedback thus far!

• Members

The mustang 1 goes for $50 used.

I understand the thinking that it is hard to go wrong at that price. They do offer an okay clean tone. My thinking on it goes like this. I've only got so much time. When I sit down to play a guitar I want to play my instrument, I want to create music. I don't want to think about, "Man, how do I get this to sound better?" or "What do all of these knobs and buttons do anyway?" I just want a good tone so that I can get right into playing.

The playing is the point, that is the quality time.

So, buying something like the Mustang 1 does not help with that goal. It's $50 not well spent IMO because it is not worth your time.

• Members

The Fender Mustang combo with the best bang-for-the-buck is the Mustang III. After living with both a Mustang I and a Mustang II for a while, I found both left a bit to be desired if you want to play even at moderate volumes. Mainly, the speaker is too small in the Mustang I and the Mustang II doesn't have much clean power. The Mustang III has a much better 12-inch speaker than the Mustang II and a clean 100 solid state watts driving that better speaker, which makes a lot of difference.

However, if you are only looking for "small," then the highly-rated Yamaha THR10 series micro combos still has everyone beat for authentic classic amp reproduction. These do not have complicated controls. Just select the amp type, tweak the tone and drive knobs and you are done. These THR series amps have excellent amp emulation circuits, and due to their advance acoustic design, they sound positively huge compared to their size when you turn the volume up. You can even run them on batteries if you want. There are three models these days...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=Yamaha+THR10

Good demos...

[video=youtube;vzKOzppQi6k]

[video=youtube;vWjUVQbHLnM]

[video=youtube;ZQgu7IDrpAQ]

They are good demos. But these demos have been mixed professionally my Yamaha, which I think makes them less valuable as a reference point.

• Members

I have a Mustang I. My wife got it for me after I asked for an Acoustic 20W and an multi-effects pedal. The amp is merely ok. I don't like fiddling with knobs, I wanna play. My nephew has a Roland Cube, it is awesome for a simple modeling amp.

• Members

+1 for the cube, especially if you're mostly going to play pretty quietly. If you have the opportunity to crank up sometimes, then one of the little tube amps might be the ticket. I've heard great tones out of one of those Epi Valve Jr's. For 150 you might find a used one that's already gotten the cool mods.

• Members

I picked up a little 15w Marshall Valve state at a pawn shop a few years ago in mint condition for $30 and it makes a good practice amp. It can actually be loud enough to play at a rehersal if the bands not too loud.

You can also buy used Peaveys all over the place for chump change. I rarely buy amps new however. My target is $1 a watt unless its really special then I may pay as much as $2 a watt. Anything above that and you're being soaked unless its a tube amp which have transformers which are a bit more expensive. I see amps from their component cost level however since I am an electronic tech and cant see paying more then double for what the parts cost. 100% markup on the cost of building something should be enough profit for those who build them, but somehow that convince guitarists that their 1000% profit gives them better tone.

I do agree with Floyd in this case. Since you're coming from an acoustic background you probably don't need all the bells and whistles of a high tech amp. Keep it simple and focus on the music like you have playing acoustic and leave the chasing of the dragons tail to those who have forgotten guitar is about playing great music. A Tele doesn't need much to Jangle well and you don't need allot of drive to get a good classic Tele tone.

• Members

Another nice inexpensive tube amp used are the old Crate "V SERIES" amps. Even though Crate gets bashed for their solid state amps, The V Series tube amps were pretty darn good. Well built. Came with Groove tubes and a Celestion speaker. I'll never get rid of my little V1512. Great little practice amp.

• Members

~~GUITAR AMP

USED RANDALL USM-RVC SNGL CHNL CLASS A 5W

Details »

Amps

Guitar Center Greensboro

Greensboro, North Carolina 27403

336-852-8620

View Store's Used Inventory

Contact Store

Now Only

$149.99

Was

$199.99

Save

• Members
. . . You can also buy used Peaveys all over the place for chump change. . . .

i have a peavey transtube 20 watt blazer amp. sounds great for me.

+1 on a used Peavey. A while back I bought a used 35 Watt Peavey for $45 from a pawn shop and gave it to a friend. They make a good amp--not a Marshall but a very good amp--and they're pretty much ubiquitous and relatively cheap.

• Members

I happen to agree on Mustangs, whatever size you like (remember he did want small). And tweaking the settings may take a little time and effort, but rewards are worth it. Far more able to get just the sound you want. I have a THR 10, and it is pretty hifi, but don't care for somewhat limited range of what you can change, and only 5 presets vs 24. Not much volume if running on batteries, and has annoying trait of shutting down if you turn up too high. Haven't been able to try the Peaveys (live in Thailand) but would like to...

• Members

I went and played a few different amps yesterday.

I must say, I was very impressed with the sound of that little Mustang I V2, particularly the Twin Reverb clean setting. I do wish I would have read up a little more on exactly how it worked before going in.

I did not like the Randall 5W. It's a beast, but I think it's far more of a "distortion amp" than what I am looking for. I found it difficult to get the sounds I was looking for.

I tried some kind of Vox Valvetronix amp as well. I hate to sound old (because I'm not), but there were way too many knobs and buttons on that thing.

I also played an Orange CR35LDX, which I think I liked better than anything else. It's out of my price range, but I'd like to take a look at the CR20LDX (they didn't have one in the store yesterday).

I didn't play the little Yamaha, mainly because I didn't see it until it was time to go.

Archived