I really dislike "Sunburst"

Chordite

• Members

You will probably all disagree but to me it looks like the edges of that cheap furniture where they spray a bit of dark to hide bad wood or to slim down a clomping blocky design . Trying to glam it up with names like "Tobacco sunburst" or whatever make no difference It just looks tacky and yuk at any price.

Why take a perfectly fine looking guitar and graffiti black with overspray around the edge.?

Like this black line sprayed around the perimeter here, What is it for,? What does it achieve beyond obfuscating the beautiful strat shape?

Would you aerosol a crude rectangle round your car doors?

Fendersrvstratfront.jpg

• Members

In general, sunburst finishes are not my favorite either, although I've seen some gorgeous ones and can appreciate them. But I like the "emerald-burst" on my late 60's Aria 335 copy. Its a bit out of the ordinary.

Aria.jpg

• Members

There are probably as many if not more people that "hate" natural finishes. The usual complaint is typically something like, "Why the hell would I want a guitar that looks like the top of a dining room table?" ...sheesh

• Members
There are probably as many if not more people that "hate" natural finishes. The usual complaint is typically something like' date=' "[i']Why the hell would I want a guitar that looks like the top of a dining room table[/i]?" ...sheesh

Pretty funny. . I don't care so much for natural finishes as tints , stains and bursts. except on Teles where I love the natural color of the wood.

Paint can be OK if it's gloss black but then my dining room table is black too.

• Members
...but then my dining room table is black too.

Solid black dining room table? You must be heavily into the Goth scene. ;)

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, if there really is a finish that deserves scorn, it's gotta be those awful flat black goth finishes that were all the rage about 10 years ago. Yuck. And to top it off, goth finishes look *by far* the worst when compared to other finishes as they become relic'd.

• Members

I generally like all sunburst finishes. However, there is one notable exception, the slimeburst finish used on the Dean ML is the ugliest sunburst finish ever. It has sort of a swamp reptile meets John Deere farm tractor aura about it.

Deans024.jpg

• Members

Solid black dining room table? You must be heavily into the Goth scene. ;)

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, if there really is a finish that deserves scorn, it's gotta be those awful flat black goth finishes that were all the rage about 10 years ago. Yuck. And to top it off, goth finishes look *by far* the worst when compared to other finishes as they become relic'd.

Not solid black ,there is some light relicing ,I think they call it the distressed look.

• Members

I've never understood the point of "I don't like ....." threads. If you don't like them, don't buy them. I don't care if you don't want to buy Wranglers, or hate Fords, or will never wear a green shirt.

It's a paint choice, and there are MANY other options, why make a deal about it?

• Members
I've never understood the point of "I don't like ....." threads. If you don't like them, don't buy them. I don't care if you don't want to buy Wranglers, or hate Fords, or will never wear a green shirt.

It's a paint choice, and there are MANY other options, why make a deal about it?

It's about bringing down sacred cows. Maybe a lot of people don't like them but are afraid to say so for fear of group castigation so go along with it but really think yuk.

Maybe I think Gary Moore, no matter how technically proficient, is boring as hell to listen to. I could be nailed to a cross or people could say "yeah same for me. " I'm curious and there's only one way to find out

The dispute over relic'ing was a classic, :)

• Members

Well, let's remember this about sunbursts:

They are the original production standard of a "relic'd" look.

Look at the pics above in post number 18, the author describing those examples as "tastefully done".

On the old world pieces, be them violins, etc. the center section would become more hand-worn with time and create a center sunburst. Those pics above do a good job of reflecting that heritage of the sunbursts.

Personally, they are my fave, followed next by naturals, reds, and black. But yeah, it doesn't have to be Baroque looking, I'm a sucker for a 3-T-SB. One of my coolest bursts in a greenburst. Because it's a bit understated, and unusual, I get more compliments on that guitar than most. Believe it or not.

SG700S002.jpg

• Members

It's about bringing down sacred cows. Maybe a lot of people don't like them but are afraid to say so for fear of group castigation so go along with it but really think yuk.

Maybe I think Gary Moore, no matter how technically proficient, is boring as hell to listen to. I could be nailed to a cross or people could say "yeah same for me. " I'm curious and there's only one way to find out

The dispute over relic'ing was a classic, :)

You what??? Nail him to a cross!

Archived