Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar-Love View Post
    FWIW, some people can't deal with the so-called Clownburst...
    Ironic that my only burst is

Though I quite like it . Its the ubiquitous Brown and Black thing that grates rather than the various colors like this
    Attached Files
    Less is more

Comment

I see what you mean.
    Besides being a guitar player,
    I'm a big fan of the guitar.
    I love that damn instrument.
    -Steve Vai

Comment

I kind of like a tastefully done 'burst

Comment

I like white Fenders best but I like two tone bursts quite a lot too. I've never seen a three color Fender burst that I'd want to own.

Comment

Originally posted by V-8 View Post

Solid black dining room table? You must be heavily into the Goth scene.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, if there really is a finish that deserves scorn, it's gotta be those awful flat black goth finishes that were all the rage about 10 years ago. Yuck. And to top it off, goth finishes look *by far* the worst when compared to other finishes as they become relic'd.

Not solid black ,there is some light relicing ,I think they call it the distressed look.

Comment

I've never understood the point of "I don't like ....." threads. If you don't like them, don't buy them. I don't care if you don't want to buy Wranglers, or hate Fords, or will never wear a green shirt.

It's a paint choice, and there are MANY other options, why make a deal about it?

Comment

Originally posted by wasgtrjones View Post
              I've never understood the point of "I don't like ....." threads. If you don't like them, don't buy them. I don't care if you don't want to buy Wranglers, or hate Fords, or will never wear a green shirt.

It's a paint choice, and there are MANY other options, why make a deal about it?
              It's about bringing down sacred cows. Maybe a lot of people don't like them but are afraid to say so for fear of group castigation so go along with it but really think yuk.

Maybe I think Gary Moore, no matter how technically proficient, is boring as hell to listen to. I could be nailed to a cross or people could say "yeah same for me. " I'm curious and there's only one way to find out
              The dispute over relic'ing was a classic,
              Less is more

Comment

i don't like cherry burst. iced tea burst and tobacco sunburst is cool for me.

Comment

Well, let's remember this about sunbursts:

They are the original production standard of a "relic'd" look.

Look at the pics above in post number 18, the author describing those examples as "tastefully done".

On the old world pieces, be them violins, etc. the center section would become more hand-worn with time and create a center sunburst. Those pics above do a good job of reflecting that heritage of the sunbursts.

Personally, they are my fave, followed next by naturals, reds, and black. But yeah, it doesn't have to be Baroque looking, I'm a sucker for a 3-T-SB. One of my coolest bursts in a greenburst. Because it's a bit understated, and unusual, I get more compliments on that guitar than most. Believe it or not.

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                  HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                  Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                  I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post

It's about bringing down sacred cows. Maybe a lot of people don't like them but are afraid to say so for fear of group castigation so go along with it but really think yuk.

Maybe I think Gary Moore, no matter how technically proficient, is boring as hell to listen to. I could be nailed to a cross or people could say "yeah same for me. " I'm curious and there's only one way to find out
                    The dispute over relic'ing was a classic,

You what??? Nail him to a cross!
                    Don't pick a fight with an old man,
                    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Comment

Originally posted by GAS Man View Post
                      Well, let's remember this about sunbursts:

They are the original production standard of a "relic'd" look.

Look at the pics above in post number 18, the author describing those examples as "tastefully done".

On the old world pieces, be them violins, etc. the center section would become more hand-worn with time and create a center sunburst. Those pics above do a good job of reflecting that heritage of the sunbursts.

Personally, they are my fave, followed next by naturals, reds, and black. But yeah, it doesn't have to be Baroque looking, I'm a sucker for a 3-T-SB. One of my coolest bursts in a greenburst. Because it's a bit understated, and unusual, I get more compliments on that guitar than most. Believe it or not.

Yes but that isn't a sunburst is it . ( My bad for not being specific enough in the OP) That is tasteful shadowing on green not a can of black duplicolor graffiti'd cynically round the edge of a strat. I agree about the freeman examples #18 If you are going to do it that is how it should be. There is no way the SRV in my OP looks 'hand worn with time.'
                      Less is more

Comment

Originally posted by V-8 View Post
                        There are probably as many if not more people that "hate" natural finishes. The usual complaint is typically something like, "Why the hell would I want a guitar that looks like the top of a dining room table?" ...sheesh
                        Well the best answer to that is, you cant hide flaws in natural wood like you can under a paint job. It used to be your best woods would be chosen for your natural finishes and you crap wood would be hidden under paint. That doesn't hold true as much today because most of the wood is crap, and the ones you think are natural are often capped, laminated, flamed or have raised grains, but its still not as bad as what you see under some paint jobs.

On my builds I usually go for natural because I do use good woods I want to show off and its easier to finish. Its kind of hard to prove to someone your guitar is made from 200 year old antique wood if its all painted over.
                        Last edited by WRGKMC; 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Just to clear something else up my dining room table isn't really solid black,I just like to shake things up once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post

Just to clear something else up my dining room table isn't really solid black,I just like to shake things up once in a while.
                            Well I am shocked, mis-speaking to liven up a slow forum! Who on earth would do such a thing
                            Less is more

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post
                              I kind of like a tastefully done 'burst

Wow...
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
                              Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
                              ---->
                              HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X