X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really dislike "Sunburst"

You will probably all disagree but to me it looks like the edges of that cheap furniture where they spray a bit of dark to hide bad wood or to slim down a clomping blocky design . Trying to glam it up with names like "Tobacco sunburst" or whatever make no difference It just looks tacky and yuk at any price.
    Why take a perfectly fine looking guitar and graffiti black with overspray around the edge.?

Like this black line sprayed around the perimeter here, What is it for,? What does it achieve beyond obfuscating the beautiful strat shape?
    Would you aerosol a crude rectangle round your car doors?

Last edited by Chordite; 08-02-2014, 10:12 AM. Reason: Pic added for explanation
    Less is more

I can agree with this. Most are too crude to qualify for a guitar finish. Spend some time on a seamless morph, don't raise the price, and there you go.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something...

Comment

I am not a fan of sunburst either...as you might have noticed.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a nice sunburst... My Tele in Sunburst is my favorite!
        My Gear:
        2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
        1998 Squire MIM Stratocaster
        Takamine acoustic
        Fender P-Bass

Comment

In general, sunburst finishes are not my favorite either, although I've seen some gorgeous ones and can appreciate them. But I like the "emerald-burst" on my late 60's Aria 335 copy. Its a bit out of the ordinary.

Last edited by Karma1; 08-01-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I don't own any but my friend has an American Deluxe Strat that looks pretty good. It's subjective.
            Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

I really dislike painted guitars,. I want to see that wood grain.

Comment

There are probably as many if not more people that "hate" natural finishes. The usual complaint is typically something like, "Why the hell would I want a guitar that looks like the top of a dining room table?" ...sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by V-8 View Post
                  There are probably as many if not more people that "hate" natural finishes. The usual complaint is typically something like, "Why the hell would I want a guitar that looks like the top of a dining room table?" ...sheesh
                  Pretty funny. . I don't care so much for natural finishes as tints , stains and bursts. except on Teles where I love the natural color of the wood.
                  Paint can be OK if it's gloss black but then my dining room table is black too.

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
                    ...but then my dining room table is black too.
                    Solid black dining room table? You must be heavily into the Goth scene.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, if there really is a finish that deserves scorn, it's gotta be those awful flat black goth finishes that were all the rage about 10 years ago. Yuck. And to top it off, goth finishes look *by far* the worst when compared to other finishes as they become relic'd.

Comment

To each his own.....I love a well done sunburst.....mine in particular...

Comment

Depends on the burst. I do want to see wood grain though. My electric is solid black but my main acoustic is an odd burst called "Resonant Dark Violin." Not mine but here's a pic:
                        Attached Files
                        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Big fan of natural finishes here. Love Sunburst Strats esp. with nice wood grain like ^.
                          The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen --Duke Ellington

Comment

I generally like all sunburst finishes. However, there is one notable exception, the slimeburst finish used on the Dean ML is the ugliest sunburst finish ever. It has sort of a swamp reptile meets John Deere farm tractor aura about it.

Comment

FWIW, some people can't deal with the so-called Clownburst...

Comment

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
                                Editing a comment
                                Actually these guitars do give me a touch of coulrophobia

Working...
                            X