New powerful Swedish freejazz quartet: GuitCussion. Soundclip inside.

wilmer

• Members

The group has two guitarists, and two drummers: GuitCussion.

Here´s a clip we recorded this last Sunday, an improvisation in the studio called Blue Congo. The other guitarist plays a Ovation Breadwinner into a digital sound unit, I play my Gibson Les Paul-SG 1961 into my old Fender Blues Deville. What says you?

Blue Congo:

http://fandalism.com/stefanthorpenberg/c672

• Members

Not for the faint of heart I suppose, but holy halucinogenics batman, that is some heavy tuneage. And where the hell is Bucks when you need him - he'd flip over this stuff. Wilmer, you're band just gets better and better. Do you perform live?

PS Loved your late night raga as well.

• Members

Thanks a lot, Wankdeplank, I´m not used to friendly comments. ;)

However, this is actually not my ordinary band, but a new one called GuitCussion. The reason for the name is that we have two guitarists and two drummers. We are soon going to record a CD; the clip is from our rehearsals last Sunday. We plan to play live somewhat later. The band has quite wellknown members, at least in the Swedish modern jazz and freemusic field. And I must brag a little about them, cause in my opinion they´re so good. :)

The other guitarist, Brakophonic, is a professional musician and has played freemusic for 25 years, and has released many records and produced for others. He has his own (small) record company called Brakophonic records, based in Atlanta, USA. He plays here a Ovation Breadwinner into some digital units and sounds sometimes like a synth.

One of the drummers is Henrik Wartel, and he´s a professional musician, with long experience from modern jazz and freemusic. He started his career touring in Europe with the Swedish trombonist Eje Thelin in the late 1970s, and has since then recorded with almost everyone in Sweden (not only jazz).

The other drummer is Per-Anders Skytt, and he´s a professional musician too. He´s got a PhD in poly-rhythmics (?!!) and is traveling around at Swedish universities, teaching, supervising and giving lectures in polyrhythmics, when he´s not touring with different groups.

Anyhow. The clip above is quite heavy and angry, but we also like to play somewhat softer - to get a more complex sound picture. Here´s a smoother clip, called "Keith": Brakophonic use a sound close to an acoustic steel string. I use my old Les Paul-SG 1961, commenting on his acoustic sound.

Keith:

http://fandalism.com/stefanthorpenberg/c7ba

• Members

Nice Stefan. Funny (to me at least) that you called "Keith" softer and less angry. Not to quibble but "Blue Congo" really knocked my socks off. Had more of a cohesive ambient sound to it, very reminiscent of the brilliant collaborations between Jon Hassell and Brian Eno. Like the fact that you're blazing some new trails for guitar music.

Keep me posted about the new CD. Might take a shot if you can do paypal.

Archived