Once and for all performance issues

• Moderators

From behind the curtain, I'm passing this message along:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have trudged through a MAMMOTH amount of fixes and code re-writes. We have finally dialed in our Ad serving and integrated our Content into the community side.

I now want to find and pursue all remaining performance challenges. I do not want to see anymore posts from community members complaining about this place not working (when we have been working non-stop to improve the place).

This is the thread.

I want to know problems with the following:

Forums. What is wrong? (currently ... not what you think is wrong and may have already been corrected). CRUCIAL INFORMATION NEEDED: What are they using PC or Mac. What browser and version. Screen shots are helpful or links to threads within the rest of the forums where descriptions may exists.

Please not JUST CAUSE SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING ISN'T WORKING DOESN'T MEAN IT ISN'T. Many times we find problems to simply be user error.

User Reviews: People are still saying they are missing or broken, when indeed our IT folks (Nucleus) say they are not. If you see someone say that they are, we want to know about it.

Articles/Expert Reviews: If you come across either of these with broken images. We want to know about it.

• Members

I don't know if this is something that's easily fixed and may be a HUGE undertaking, but the thread subscription system is completely useless. Now this isn't a problem caused by HC but rather something that was completely bungled when Jelsoft rewrote vB. The old UserCP setup from prior versions of vB were vastly superior.

Here's props, though. vB 5 runs SO MUCH BETTER here than on vB's actual site. LOL

• Members

The white out pages seem to have stopped, for me at least.

Not problems but would make the experience better.

1. Multi quote.

2. A refresh link to hceg thread list page 1- at the bottom of each thread page.

• Members

1. navigation through the forum is still a bit unpractical ; page up, page down, go to first unread post buttons would make it much easier

2. search is a bit unpractical too : an advanced search mode where you could filter your search (to user, subforum, date ranges, ...)

3. spam : now spam gets removed daily, but every time I come to the forums, I am seeing spam posts, there are 3 now on the front page and one here in electric guitars at I am typing this ...

4. bug fix reports would be nice to see, I reported a bug on day 1 of the vB5 switch, and reported it 2-3 times over again, it's not yet fixed, it also has to do with navigation, on my system when I'm in forums (like here now) and I click on the User Review button on top of the screen, I get an error, same thing as ido1957 mentions up in his post, it takes me to http:///www.harmonycentral.com/reviews notice the 3 slashes, if I delete a slash it works, same type of error when you click on Expert Reviews or News ...

I'm on Win7/IE11

in Advanced editor, image hotlinking with the image icon does not work, get a pop up screen with lots of options to compete, but when I click the button to post, it freezes on me and I have to close the tab and reopen .. it worked in the beginning, then I could not get it to work any more, could be user error ... but then how would I know, it's not intuitive anyway

Sometimes I'm on Win7/IE10

I cannot edit my posts then

I posted a review (and it was accepted for review) a day before the switch to vB5, review was for a DOD phasor 201 reissue, it probably went MIA

I lost about 15k posts in the switch to vB5, probably has something to do with the great postcount purge and manual post count restore some years ago ...

• Members

When creating/editing a post, it's so strange that I often (but, frustratingly, not always) cannot insert text into a line/paragraph. I'll put my cursor in the place I was to do my edits, but when i type the cursor freakishly jumps to the end of that line/paragraph and the new characters appear there.

• Members
When creating/editing a post, it's so strange that I often (but, frustratingly, not always) cannot insert text into a line/paragraph. I'll put my cursor in the place I was to do my edits, but when i type the cursor freakishly jumps to the end of that line/paragraph and the new characters appear there.

Yep. Second that.

also on many occasions if a line of text begins with " i or I " the i goes missing. Soppy but infuriating.

• Members

Oh, I forgot to say in my post above... I'm fairly platform agnostic. I use Firefox Beta and Chrome on Win7, Chrome on Android 4.4.2 and 4.4.4, have used Chrome on 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 recently, Chrome and Firefox on Win8, Chrome and Safari on iOS and Mac OSX MAAAAAAAAAAAAAVERICKS. I've also used Firefox on Ubuntu Linux recently, but that was only while I was waiting for something to finish up while I was installing PocketMine Server for my kid to play Minecraft Pocket Edition online with his cousins.

• Members

OK, I'lm on Win7/IE10 and I can confirm that it won't let me edit my posts

when I hit Edit, it just brings up an empty box and when I preview that, it is apparantly considered to be a new post ?

otoh, the advanced editor image insertion works fine in Win7/IE10

you silmply paste the link to the image in the appropriate field (there's only one field) and youre done

whereas in Wim7/IE11, I get a pop up screen qwith about 8 fields, height, width, value, title, and a "loret ipsum" text field, etc. and if you paste the link to an image and hit enter, the whole thing freezes, and I can only close the tab and reopen HC

• Members

The two main things I see is, If you log in, you have to back out of a forum, or out of the site altogether then come back in to be able to post. Not a huge issue because I usually save my logins but I do clean up my temp files occasionally and have to go through that ritual.

The second item that doesn't work, at least for many is the HC picture upload is unstable. Some times it works and some times it doesn't. Its been awhile since I used it because I just gave up in frustration, so it may have been fixed. I'm wondering if it may be the old pictures I have loaded over the years has maxed out my limit.

• Members

in user reviews, e.g. I click on the above link for Ibbanez SZ320, I get a summary view of all reviews, but I cannot read any full review, I only have a single read full review link at the bottom and it will open the last review, all the names of the reviewers are on top of one another at the bottom, and sale goes for the Read Full Review, so user reviews are hard to navigate. Which reminds me, it cannot be that hard to correct that

http:///www.harmonycentral.com/reviews

error that you get when you click on the User Reviews button (from within forums)

and yeah, it would be nice to get some confirmation or a list of things that are being worked on,

thanks

Archived