Floating and bending

Chordite

• Members

After 20 years I am trying a floating trem (FR type) for the first time . It is all set up and works well. Stays in tune.

I particularly like that I can get a gentle vibrato just palming the bridge without going for the bar. :)

One problem I find though ( I know this is old news to some of you) is that when I bend notes up on a string any bass strings I have ringing or droning will dip by a semitone or so. I can see the mechanics of why but wondered if using heavy or light strings minimises this effect ? (I'm on 10's right now)

I can live with it if thats just the way it has to be but will have to rewrite a couple of passages

• Members
...I can get a gentle vibrato just palming the bridge without going for the bar.

I do something similar, but I shortened a stock vibrato bar to 3.5 inches (9 cm), as I don't want to break or induce wear on the bridge components by repeatedly handling the bridge directly.

And, then there are a few "bar replacements" out there...

Know anyone with a MIG welder? :D

UYAM42.jpgUYAM42-CloseupA.jpg

http://merch.umphreys.com/Product.as...4407&pc=UYAM42

• Members

Other then using additional springs, its part of the beast.

Only advice I can give is to get the height correct so the angle isn't too steep and compounds the problem.

To do this you tune to pitch, pluck the G string and pull up on the whammy. The bridge should contact the body when the note reaches an A note.

This angle seems to be the best in maintaining tuning bit on a fulcrum bridge the best and its why Fender recommends adjusting the bridge that way. If its higher the string pull is greater and detunes the remaining strings down in pitch more when all strings are bent.

The whole idea of using a whammy however is to get bent tones without having to bend strings. You can use baseball bats on there and still be able to bend them smoothly. Technique using a whammy is what its all about. The guitarist that does it best is likely Jeff Beck. He's a master at using a whammy and other then a few others like Hendrix, he knows how to make the whammy work for him well.

• Members

For Floyds you can get look at a tremelo-no. Lots of info on the web. I had a Floyd once but hated it before even trying what I mentioned, so no experience. Maybe someone else can chime in. Pretty sure it's like blocking a Fender, no pull up.

• Members

Thanks into nation That device is close but (of course) doesn't do the one thing I want which is to block dive (which I dont use) but not rise. I think simply blocking the trembloc will do that to stop anything divebombing but still allow the pitch raise or palming technique. so we are moving forward here :)

• Members
As mentioned - it's just a trade-off. You need more tension.

Hey - I just had an idea! Make a split bridge that has a Trem on strings 1,2,3 and a fixed bridge on 4,5,6! :D

Interesting idea, all you would need is a saw and 2 more pivot points (or just the saw on a fender )

• Members

I do something similar, but I shortened a stock vibrato bar to 3.5 inches (9 cm), as I don't want to break or induce wear on the bridge components by repeatedly handling the bridge directly.

And, then there are a few "bar replacements" out there...

Know anyone with a MIG welder? :D

UYAM42.jpgUYAM42-CloseupA.jpg

http://merch.umphreys.com/Product.as...4407&pc=UYAM42

I cut my bars just after the bend and then i use paper or plastic wrap and i put it over the trem hole before i push it in. The short bar stays back out of the way but stays fixed where i can pull or push it when bending chords i guess it works the same as your gizmo but i just but up the stock bar.

• Members

Thanks Dale, you have to like Knopfler, down to earth bloke, no ego stuff at all. Like me he learned without a pic.

I always kick myself because a friend in the early seventies was always trying to talk me into watching local gigs by a band and I didn't because I thought name sounded like another of the second rate whacky pub bands that were everywhere at the time .

That band was Brewers Droop and of course it was the young Mr Knopfler's band so I missed out, and how. :(

• Members
After 20 years I am trying a floating trem (FR type) for the first time . It is all set up and works well. Stays in tune.

I particularly like that I can get a gentle vibrato just palming the bridge without going for the bar. :)

One problem I find though ( I know this is old news to some of you) is that when I bend notes up on a string any bass strings I have ringing or droning will dip by a semitone or so. I can see the mechanics of why but wondered if using heavy or light strings minimises this effect ? (I'm on 10's right now)

I can live with it if thats just the way it has to be but will have to rewrite a couple of passages

It's the nature of the beast. I hate it, but I love the FR or any floating trem.

I have learned to compensate when doing double stop bends by slightly bending the "unbent" note a little. It's not ideal but can get you by in some situations.

Other than that, if you must have precision, you need a fixed bridge. Sad to say.

• Members

Im sure you guys dont want to hear this but the steinberg trem setup is the best floating bridge to setup ive ever used. If you know how much of a pain it is to setup a full floating bridge the steinberg has a lock. You lock it tune it then unlock it. After its unlocked you just have to turn the large spring screw to re-tune all the strings back. Just like you do with the floyd but WAY easier and quicker.

I think when Eddie use to use a quarter he screwed to the top of his frankenstrat, he would turn the quarter so it slid up under the floyd to lock it, then he would tighten the springs so they pulled the floyd hard against the quarter sort of locking it. Then restring or tune it, slide the quarter out and then loosen the springs till it was back in tune.

• Members

he would turn the quarter so it slid up under the floyd to lock it, then he would tighten the springs so they pulled the floyd hard against the quarter sort of locking it. Then restring or tune it, slide the quarter out and then loosen the springs till it was back in tune.

That's one stage too difficult.

I just loosen the springs till the quarter just drops out. It is exactly in tune at that point sm-happy

• Members
Im sure you guys dont want to hear this but the steinberg trem setup is the best floating bridge to setup ive ever used. If you know how much of a pain it is to setup a full floating bridge the steinberg has a lock. You lock it tune it then unlock it. After its unlocked you just have to turn the large spring screw to re-tune all the strings back. Just like you do with the floyd but WAY easier and quicker.

I think when Eddie use to use a quarter he screwed to the top of his frankenstrat, he would turn the quarter so it slid up under the floyd to lock it, then he would tighten the springs so they pulled the floyd hard against the quarter sort of locking it. Then restring or tune it, slide the quarter out and then loosen the springs till it was back in tune.

Eddie used the quarter to block the trem period to so you didn't pull him on the bar. This was before he started top mounting his trems.

• Members
Im sure you guys dont want to hear this but the steinberg trem setup is the best floating bridge to setup ive ever used. If you know how much of a pain it is to setup a full floating bridge the steinberg has a lock. You lock it tune it then unlock it. After its unlocked you just have to turn the large spring screw to re-tune all the strings back.

Yes I'll vouch for that, My Steinberger does have that lock so you don't have the issues bending strings. Its probably the best system made for keeping strings in tune. Add to that the double ball ends and its the only guitar I've owned where you cam play an entire set and not have the strings go out of tune.

The only thing I dislike is the saddles have no screws to adjust the intonation. Just a set screw from the side which locks them together. To adjust intonation you have to manually move the saddles without having another move. It can be a super pain in the ass to get intonation set up right.

• Members

Hmm. IDK. I think it's better to just accept what a floating bridge can and cannot do, and go from there.

Why have a trem that is too stiff from all this? Just have a second guitar. I love a nicely setup trem that has light action so you can actually use it the way it was intended.

• Members

I've been using Floyd Roses for over 30 years. It takes some getting used to. I'd do what some one else suggested earlier in the post, just slightly bend the other note when you are bending the stationary note.

I sometimes apply a little pressure on the bridge to alleviate the detuning when bending.

Some folks, instal a Tremsetter to solve that detuning problem and it works for them very well.

I personally don't use those. I love getting those Brad Gillis/ Joe Satriani / Steve Vai warbles and chirps.

Archived