How to ruin a guitar with idiotic relicing.

Virgman

• Members

Good job, numbnuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aria-Pro-II-...item20e96c4bc5

"This is what I would call a relic guitar, and has a slightly road warrior appearance. Functionally good, and a nice guitar. Is really quite comfortable to play, and fun. I just dont know what to do with all the neck, and it throws me off when I play it, so am selling for a reasonable price which is for a fully functioning guitar. This guitar has nicks, cracks, gouges etc. Structurally good I believe, and a player.

• Members
What did he do to relic it? The body looks like it has a few dings in it. Is it the headstock plate? I don't get that he did anything except play around with pickups and wiring.

I'm going to assume you're serious and answer your question. In addition to the dings, he sanded the finish off in areas. It's especially noticeable to the left of the bridge and on the headstock. IMHO, it looks awful. Of course, I'm not a fan of "relicing" anyway. Back in the 70's mom and dad were shopping for new furniture, having just bought a house, and one of the trends was "antiqued" furniture, which was new but had been whacked with a chain to give it dings and make it look old. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

• Members
You seem to have missed the photo with the delicate wear pattern on the back of the neck which really is his star achievement.

It is a total facepalm.

True. The first three photos were more than enough for me. Now that I've seen the back of the neck, I agree.

• Members
Plus' date=' the mini tuners on the bridge are all cock-eyed.[/quote']

Yes he explains in the description that they don't work and you simply tune at the headstock

I think it's a selling point like the removal of the pickup selector :) )

• Members

I see it as Just another amateur who thought refinishing was a piece of cake. Those guitars seem to sell for about $350 in good condition. As is he may be lucky to get $100.

My guess is it had a poly finish which he had a rough time removing and he thought he's be able to get a pro look using Rustoleum enamel. Huge fail and should be a lesson for those who are board with their guitars and think refinishing is something anybody can do easily.

My advice remains, if the finish is in decent shape, and only has a few dings. Fix the dings and leave it alone. If you're board of the color, get over it. The color of a guitar isn't going to make you a better player. If it doesn't match your shirt, its less costly to buy a different colored shirt If you really hate the color, sell the guitar and buy another. You not only avoid the depreciation, you avoid the cost of the supplies and tools to refinish it properly. When you add in the time and labor, this guy lost 100% the value he bought the instrument for but he's in the red a couple of hundred.

• Members

Actions like these are how common objects become rare. Next stop: wood pile. I personally dislike whole idea of relicing. I want to know every ding and scratch on guitar I put there, or if used, by someone who zigged when he should have zagged. Same goes for jeans.

Archived