What would you do?

Orion_99

• Members

I fell in love with a guitar about seven years ago, an Ibanez sz2020ex. I have kept an eye out over the years for it, but I figured it wouldn't ever turn up around where I live. I was in a music store about two hours away from home and there it was. I didn't take a lot of time to play around with it, but it was calling for me. The original price was $1500 new and they want $900 for it. I've also been looking at a couple of other guitars recently. A PRS se Paul Allender with passive pickups and an Ibanez destroyer. I could have both of these for $900. What would you do?

• Members

I assume that the Ibby is built to a little higher standard but I would still spend lots of time demoing just to be sure. Then I would offer them at least $200 less and see what kind of deal I could get with a default set to pay in full if I had to have it.

• Members

I didn't see many for sale. I saw one sell for 400 pounds in UK . The others were up between $1500 to $1700 and may be a favorite for metal heads.

Ibanez probably makes a couple of high end guitars. I've always seen them a budget to mediocre outfit. Good for the price but nothing I couldn't live without.

• Members
Ibanez probably makes a couple of high end guitars. I've always seen them a budget to mediocre outfit. Good for the price but nothing I couldn't live without.
Now I am a fan of Ibanez, I would never let my '87 Pro 540s go. That being said I am under no illusion that they are the best out there. That is one of the reasons I'm having a hard time deciding what to do here. I wanted the sz2020ex because it looks cool, has the emg set I thought I had to have and it doesn't have a floating term. Seven years later, I have grown to like passive pickups more than the emg 81 in my 540s. I'm kind of leaning towards the PRS se as I currently have a custom 22 that I am very happy with, other than the colour.

• Members

I wouldn't spend $750 - $1000 on any of those guitars. Of the guitars you've mentioned I'd most prefer a Destroyer, but it would have to be at a great price, like under $500. Still there are other guitars I'd rather have. Not a PRS anything, so our tastes are a bit different.

• Members

The Destroyer is $450 and the PRS would be around the same. I think I've talked myself out of the sz, it's just too much for what it is. Maybe I'll throw a Jackson Kelly into the mix. It's the same price as well.

• Members

An SZ for that much? Doesn't sound right. When I was the buyer for a dealer we got the high-end SZs and they didn't break $1000 brand new.

Where are you located? There's an SZ used at Guitar Center in Totowa, NJ. It's an SZ520. I actually played it and it's in decent shape and going for $200. You can find it on used.guitarcenter.com.

• Members

I'm in Canada. I remember calling Long and Mcquade back when I first saw it and their list price was just under $1500. There's a sz520qm fairly close to me for $300. Looks very nice and the seller claims its mint.

Archived