Tokai sweetness

Frets99

• Members

Sounds like you found another diamond in the rough there Fretsy. Really sounds superb with the reverb you have dialed in. I imagine that those are ceramic pickups but they are not harsh at all with a nice sounding quack in the notch positions.

• Members

Hallelujah! Frets lives! Seriously, Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day.

Nice demo' date=' Frets, sounds great![/quote']

Erm, demo? What demo? I tried three different browsers and there's no demo, no pic, no nothin'.

Edit: Never mind. I tried again after a few minutes and it works now. Great demo.

• Members
Hallelujah! Frets lives! Seriously, Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day.

Erm, demo? What demo? I tried three different browsers and there's no demo, no pic, no nothin'.

Edit: Never mind. I tried again after a few minutes and it works now. Great demo.

~~Same thing happened to me when I opened the thread a few hours ago—there was nothing there. Same with a video in another OP.

Now, they’re there, haha.

And yeah, yet another great demo from Frets.

• Moderators
Thats pretty rad. I love my 1979 Tokai Springy Sound.

20-1375372437-e0888a79512bfb63950c2b6045a8ff0c.jpg

20 by Mark Wein on MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

They are really great guitars for the money.

Mark, the Springy Sound is the original Strat knock off, and cost mucho bucko, in the same region as Greco's Super Reals.

The Springy Sound was the guitar that Tokai made to sell to Fender, before Fender changed it's mind and went with Fuji-gen, and the Greco Super Real was re-decal'd with the fender decal and the JV was born

Thats pretty rad. I love my 1979 Tokai Springy Sound.

20-1375372437-e0888a79512bfb63950c2b6045a8ff0c.jpg

20 by Mark Wein on MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

They are really great guitars for the money.

Truf. The bridge pickup is just a joy. The selector is pretty cool too. It acts like a three way but it has soft stops for the quack positions. Dean took pictures of it because it was so unusual.

• Members

For what it's worth, I've owned a somewhat strange and mysterious Tokai MAT M602 (MAT = Most Advanced Technology) for close to 30 years.

It is made out of a special fiberglass-like material that's quite hard and not at all heavy.

• Members
I just noticed that the neck appears to be compound radius. As it heads to the neck pocket' date=' the soft V flattens out![/quote']

Erm, doesn't "compound radius" refer to the fretboard? I'm not sure what the term would be for neck profile but I have an Epi acoustic that I originally bought for our daughter that also starts out as a V neck and becomes more round toward the heel.

Mark, the Springy Sound is the original Strat knock off, and cost mucho bucko, in the same region as Greco's Super Reals.

The Springy Sound was the guitar that Tokai made to sell to Fender, before Fender changed it's mind and went with Fuji-gen, and the Greco Super Real was re-decal'd with the fender decal and the JV was born

Mine is one of the actual guitars that Fender had in its possession when they moved to Corona from FUllerton.

IMG_0965.jpg

The story I had heard was that they had a trio of these Tokai guitars that had in fact been used as samples in their trademark infringement case in the early 1980's against Tokai. The decals on the back of the headstock (still there to this day) seemed to bear this out:

IMG_0971.jpg

I bought it from Sightsinger music in 1986 or so. They had a ton of B-stock and leftover Fender stuff that had been blown out to the local music stores when they made the move to the new factory. It is a '79 but it had been in a case for 7-8 years. :)

• Members
I just noticed that the neck appears to be compound radius. As it heads to the neck pocket' date=' the soft V flattens out![/quote']

Ya you got a great guitar. And I won't ask for how much. I'll just say you can't get much better, at any price...but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Archived