What cabinets is Hendrix using here? Looks like 20" speakers

slvrsrpnt

• Members

This must be taken late in his career because Silver faced amps came out around 1970. There are no 20" speakers. at least not in musical gear of that time, or in Fender cabs. They look to be standard Bassman cabs that have 2X12's laid on their sides to me. They contain either 12" Altecs or JBL's (I have a 68's Bassman amp I bought back in 1968 with Altecs as an option).

Below the Bassman cabs it looks like 8X10" cabs with either Altecs or JBL's.

• Members

I highly doubt Hendrix would be playing through 15's but I suppose its possible. The bass and guitar cabs look the same from the front. Bass cabs had 15's. Guitar cabs had 12's and weren't as deep. http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/InStoreVintage/107399156_el.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out what those bottom cabs are. They made Super 6's with 8X10's but those don't look like combos. They look like 8X10 cabs to me. Probably something Fender did to compete with Marshalls 8X10 cabs back then. I got to play through a pair of Marshall 8X10 cabs live once and its an incredibly loud cab on stage.

The heads look like 50w Band Master, 85w Showman or 100w Dual Showman, (The non reverb head which was smaller in height)

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

Hendrix died in 1970 so there aren't many options there on stock gear. Fender was using the same 1967 Blackface Circuits and parts at that time. With them miced up it really doesn't matter. Bandmasters are very loud heads even at 50 watts. He has at least 4 heads going there and you don't know what other heads he may have running in back of those cabs.

Both The Showman, and Bandmaster came with piggyback cabs with 2X12's

The bass player was likely using the Super Bassman heads. They also made some monster heads that ran six 6L6 tubes but finding info on them is limited. Allot of that stuff was special order for major artists and those artists often got to use that gear for free just to have the manufacturers name out there on stage with the big acts. The cabs look like 4X15's or folded 2X15. Fender put a flat grill cloth over them so you didn't see how they were built unless you removed the cloth which want possible until later silver face models came out in the late 70's.

The later Bassman cabs that came out with the Bassman 100 used 4X12's with a folder front under the grille cloth. I remember those being sold in music shops at that time. They sounded pretty good if you put high end speakers in them, but with stock speakers they didn't sell very good. They lacked the power the 12X15 cabs had and they were really deep in size. Ay least 2 and a half feet or more which made moving them in a 4 door car impossible and even tough in a station wagon.

Archived