Impending NGD - Epi 1966 G400 Pro SG

gdsmithtx

• Members

Fell off the GAS wagon.

Link - Epi "1966" G-400 Pro SG in TV Silver, closeout @ $220 while supplies last.

s-epi-g400pro-tvsv.jpg?_ex=128x128

In for the SG; amazing deal for $240 w/tax. For a bit more distinctive(/vintage?) look beyond the basic black-on-silver, I'm going with a pickguard replacement to something like black pearl, silver pearl, black paisley, red (or brown) tortoise, etc. (Opinions?) Rosewood with the trapezoid fret markers helps. I may swap the tuners out for a more vintage looking set.

And a Tusq nut swap, because 90% of tuning issues in inexpensive guitars are improved with a good replacement nut that doesn't require constant lubrication.

Epi says that the pickups are the relatively new Alnico Classic Pro set that they've been including in their ES 339 Pro (as hopefully distinct from the older muddy, sloppy, aggressively bland Epi Alnico Classic set that came in my Dot Deluxe) for a couple of years. I've played a few of those 339s, and the pickups are much better than any other Epiphone I've ever played. It's almost like they might just stay in the guitar, despite my longstanding trend of always upgrading pickups.

The 339 / SG's 4-knob, 2-switch electronics allow independent coil switching and adjustment, making "split" single coil tones available on the neck and bridge pickups independently and in any single coil/humbucker/tone/volume combination.

I have this same setup on another guitar (Ibanez SZ520 with Dimarzio Bluesbucker(n) and Air Zone(b) pickups) and it is extremely versatile. Especially so when using the neck in humbucker mode and the bridge split to single coil: you have a nice warm neck tone, a sweet, clear bridge tone for excellent rhythm, and an almost acoustic middle position with the volume backed off. Then, with a push of a knob (switching the bridge to humbucking mode) you get a fat, powerful lead tone from the bridge. You can do a similar trick with the neck to add a clear, Tele flavored tone on top of the mix.

This SG should be even more adaptable than my SZ520, because it has independent vol/tone controls per pickup, whereas the pickups in my "HB switching" Ibanez share one set of vol/tone controls.

On the other hand, if the stock pickups don't work out, I'm probably going to swap them out with the beautiful Seth Lovers I have in my Dot, and then sell the Dot.

[edit] Or crap, I might decide to go dual humbucker-sized P90s, like Rose Black Velvets or Tonerider Rebel 90s. Maybe Phat Cats with a magnet swap.

______

Spoke with GC and the deal (along with the Brendan Small Explorer is for new but discontinued-from-stock guitars, so it's until the stock runs out. Still good at 10:30pm on Friday 7-17.

• Members

On my epi, I don't like the neck pickup at all. Too much bass but the bridge sounds killer. The locktone tailpiece comes in handy for string changes. You don't have to worry about it falling off. When I got the guitar, I heard the usual pinging coming from the nut. I just put some big bends nut sauce on it and I haven't had tuning issues since. That reminds me, I need to buy some more nut sauce :).

Archived