Emg 85 vs emg p85

willdrewry

• Members

I have both. I have used EMGs since the very early 80's. I use nothing else. I've played everything from Metal to Blues to Country. In my opinion they are the best pickups you can get and I will tell you why..... They pick up EVERY single nuance of your playing. There is NO WAY I would play the way I do if it weren't for EMGs. I've even been featured in Guitar Player Magazine for my original music. OK having said that I'm not sure why you would want to compare the 2. Obviously they are completely differerent shapes so you cant really "swap them out". I have used 85's in Les Pauls and Strats with great tone results. I recently installed a P85 in my Reissue Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker, (When I got the guitar I removed the P90 and put a P100 in) (no single coil hum as that a P100 is a stacked P90) The P85 is great. It's a tad thinner than an 85 because it covers less area but it sounds incredible. I'm currently playing Top 40 country and it works great for that. I also play in an 80's metal band on the side and its killer for that as well. My personal opinion is again that you just can't go wrong with EMG's. Period. I would like to know what guitar you are considering putting them in and what type of music you play. If you would like to hear emg's at work you can go to http://www.southernsaviour.com to the Media page. Country Wide and Home are good examples of the tone you can get.

Good Luck,

Dj, guitarist for SOUTHERN SAVIOUR.

Archived