Have you tried Thomastik strings?

knotty

• Members

I have a set of flat wound 12's on my hollow body . Yes they do cost more but they also last a lot longer so they're not really so expensive in the long run.. They gave me that nice vintage jazz tone I was after Try a set for your self,it.s the only way to know.

thomastik-jazz-swing-flatwound-js112.jpg

• Members

Probably buy a set of their flatwound lights in a year or two (flatwounds last forever) to replace the Chromes I have on my 335 copy now. The new chromes have changed a bit and most seem to prefer the sound of the Thomastiks - though they are expensive.

• Members

I've been using TI's for many decades. They are the cream of the crop for me.

If you are serious about tone and quality, check them out. I string up all of my jazz guitars with them.

They also make some of the most popular strings for violins.

• Members

Jazz and acoustic players seem to like them allot. I bought one set of 11's for my DOT and I thought they were one of the worst sets of strings I've ever tried. I couldn't intonate them properly and they wouldn't stay in tune. Again, I don't buy flat wound or acoustic strings very often so those strings may be very good. This is very common with strings. I've found some manufacturers excel at some string types over others, but their plain electric strings were truly awful from my experience.

• Members
. Jazz and acoustic players seem to like them allot

I agree.

As far as my non-jazz guitars go (I also use TI's on my acoustics) I don't use TI's there, the reasons being: not hearing much of a difference between these and other brands on a solid body and the additional expense.

BTW I use round wound TI's on my jazz boxes.

Archived