Anyone out there with only one guitar?

Chordite

• Members

For years I only had the Peavey Falcon (a strat copy) I recorded maybe 30 tracks with it, I liked that I knew exactly what it was going to sound like in any combination and had the action set within a few thou of its life. I never showed it off (or loaned it to anyone) It was a good tool.

Now I have about 10 guitars each with its own characteristics and I'm not sure that is the great enhancement that I thought a big armory would be.

The LP standard didn't prove to be the game changer I thought it would (apart from nice sustain) and to be honest I hated the Telecaster

I think I can come back down to four guitars total without tears.

• Members

I was down to one for several years ,my old hollowbody. Then my wife got me a solid body as a gift and I convinced her I needed a semi hollow and picked up a cheap acoustic "for the kids to learn on",now I'm more into playing than I have been in a long time.

• Members

I had one guitar while I was learning. As soon as I started gigging, I had a backup. I'm always amazed by folks who gig with no back-up at all.

I have over a dozen now. I certainly don't "need" them all, but I enjoy them, and use as many as possible for different projects.

• Members

I have only my Dot, but I'm just starting, playing with some friends but no gigs,... My kid has a cheap strat copy that I borrow now and then (for example my dot is in the shop right now). I bought the Dot for its versatility so I don't really need another guitar right now, but I like the idea of trying out different styles. While I think Teles are ugly, I like their sound and I don't get that tone with my Dot, so it's most likely what I would get next. I was able to o erlook the $90 strat on the 4th of July, but I must say only because they were HH and I would prefer an SSS or maybe HSS. So while I don't need another guitar, I have GAS and justify it by the fact that it would allow me to experiment and learn. But I intend to do this exploration and learning in the sub-$400 guitar range and looking for incredible deals. The one topic I read every time I log on to this forum is the good deals forum.

• Members
I I bought the Dot for its versatility so I don't really need another guitar right now' date=' but I like the idea of trying out different styles.[/quote']

So true. You can also consider coil tapping to get that single coil sound. I've considered it but never did it since I already have a tele.

• Members

I was down to one guitar twice in my career and both times it was stolen leaving me in a panic for the next gig.

Now I have more guitars than I really need and probably will have until I can't play them any more.

• Members

I have three now but I gigged with one Strat for a few years. Never had an issue with strings breaking mid song so I never worried about it. Also I couldn't afford another guitar as my pay was all spent on food and booze and strings

• Members

I played acoustic for 15 years before I began electric and never had more than one acoustic at a time. That's the way it was back in the 80's here in my circle of acoustic players... All of the guys I played with had 1 or 2 guitars if they gigged.

I put this down to marketing and affordability. I remember paying $1000 for my Japanese Takamine in the late 80's which was a lot of money back then. You can probably get a comparable guitar today for half that cash and I now make 3x as much money.

• Members

No way man. I have a very elaborate system of rotating guitars to prevent significant fret ware. If the frets start going south I unload the beast. I refuse to spend $200 for a refret when I can buy a a nice used ride for under that amount. Had a guitar with SS frets but didn't really care for it.

• Members
No way man. I have a very elaborate system of rotating guitars to prevent significant fret ware. If the frets start going south I unload the beast. I refuse to spend $200 for a refret when I can buy a a nice used ride for under that amount. Had a guitar with SS frets but didn't really care for it.

$200? When I had my Gibson L6-S, the fret job cost $300.

• Members

One electric, yes. Also one bass (then again, I'm not a full time bassist) but a number of acoustics. The sorta odd thing is that I mostly play a Jay Turser Jay Jr. acoustic beater because it's always out. When I do play in public, it's always my Ibanez acoustic.

• Members

I got down to three electrics, an acoustic, and a bass this year only to save up for an MIK Alvarez Tele, which I traded for my Lag Imperator the next week. I've owned over fifty guitars in all. I am seriously looking at a Classic Player Jaguar for later this year because I miss my Jazzmaster, but don't miss the body shape combined with the long scale.

• Members
I got down to three electrics' date=' an acoustic, and a bass this year only to save up for an MIK Alvarez Tele, which I traded for my Lag Imperator the next week. I've owned over fifty guitars in all. I am seriously looking at a Classic Player Jaguar for later this year because I miss my Jazzmaster, but don't miss the body shape combined with the long scale.[/quote']

​Bloody hell bucks, you seem to flip your gear like crazy. Do you ever get to change strings?smiley-happy

• Members

​Bloody hell bucks, you seem to flip your gear like crazy. Do you ever get to change strings?smiley-happy

Yes, but not as often as I'd like. I don't have funds in the bank to order Elixir strings, so I have to settle for Ernie Balls, which sound good, but last about a week before going dead.

• Members

$200? When I had my Gibson L6-S, the fret job cost $300.

You right Bucks!!! I started thinking about it and that's a quote I got recently on a fret dress. I have an 89 American Strat that's getting close to needing some attention (taken in a trade), which is fine as I much prefer the feel of the vintage frets on my MIMs, but I'm not paying over $100 for that either. Otherwise I'm expanding my tool drawer and doing it myself.

• Members

I used to only play one 90% of the time But the Whammy took it's toll on the old Bro It was Gibson with a Kahler that was pulling on the neck when some one offered me triple I said what the heck.

Now I have a Harem I play.

Archived