Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there with only one guitar?

For years I only had the Peavey Falcon (a strat copy) I recorded maybe 30 tracks with it, I liked that I knew exactly what it was going to sound like in any combination and had the action set within a few thou of its life. I never showed it off (or loaned it to anyone) It was a good tool.
    Now I have about 10 guitars each with its own characteristics and I'm not sure that is the great enhancement that I thought a big armory would be.
    The LP standard didn't prove to be the game changer I thought it would (apart from nice sustain) and to be honest I hated the Telecaster
    I think I can come back down to four guitars total without tears.
    Less is more

I was down to one for several years ,my old hollowbody. Then my wife got me a solid body as a gift and I convinced her I needed a semi hollow and picked up a cheap acoustic "for the kids to learn on",now I'm more into playing than I have been in a long time.
    Last edited by gardo; 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I only have one electric. But I've got a dozen or so acoustics and ideas for a few more.....

Comment

I had one guitar while I was learning. As soon as I started gigging, I had a backup. I'm always amazed by folks who gig with no back-up at all.
        I have over a dozen now. I certainly don't "need" them all, but I enjoy them, and use as many as possible for different projects.

Comment

I have only my Dot, but I'm just starting, playing with some friends but no gigs,... My kid has a cheap strat copy that I borrow now and then (for example my dot is in the shop right now). I bought the Dot for its versatility so I don't really need another guitar right now, but I like the idea of trying out different styles. While I think Teles are ugly, I like their sound and I don't get that tone with my Dot, so it's most likely what I would get next. I was able to o erlook the $90 strat on the 4th of July, but I must say only because they were HH and I would prefer an SSS or maybe HSS. So while I don't need another guitar, I have GAS and justify it by the fact that it would allow me to experiment and learn. But I intend to do this exploration and learning in the sub-$400 guitar range and looking for incredible deals. The one topic I read every time I log on to this forum is the good deals forum.

Comment

Originally posted by papaschtroumpf View Post
            I I bought the Dot for its versatility so I don't really need another guitar right now, but I like the idea of trying out different styles.
            So true. You can also consider coil tapping to get that single coil sound. I've considered it but never did it since I already have a tele.

Comment

I was down to one guitar twice in my career and both times it was stolen leaving me in a panic for the next gig.

Now I have more guitars than I really need and probably will have until I can't play them any more.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

I have three now but I gigged with one Strat for a few years. Never had an issue with strings breaking mid song so I never worried about it. Also I couldn't afford another guitar as my pay was all spent on food and booze and strings
                Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

I played acoustic for 15 years before I began electric and never had more than one acoustic at a time. That's the way it was back in the 80's here in my circle of acoustic players... All of the guys I played with had 1 or 2 guitars if they gigged.

I put this down to marketing and affordability. I remember paying $1000 for my Japanese Takamine in the late 80's which was a lot of money back then. You can probably get a comparable guitar today for half that cash and I now make 3x as much money.
                  Last edited by billybilly; 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM.
                  One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Only a strat with humbuckers at the moment.. looking to pick up a quality acoustic, though.

Comment

I had only one at one time,Got drunk and did a Ritchie Blackmore on it.

So thats why I have 6 now.

Comment

No way man. I have a very elaborate system of rotating guitars to prevent significant fret ware. If the frets start going south I unload the beast. I refuse to spend $200 for a refret when I can buy a a nice used ride for under that amount. Had a guitar with SS frets but didn't really care for it.
                        "Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Comment

Originally posted by wankdeplank View Post
                          No way man. I have a very elaborate system of rotating guitars to prevent significant fret ware. If the frets start going south I unload the beast. I refuse to spend $200 for a refret when I can buy a a nice used ride for under that amount. Had a guitar with SS frets but didn't really care for it.
                          $200? When I had my Gibson L6-S, the fret job cost $300.

Comment

One electric, yes. Also one bass (then again, I'm not a full time bassist) but a number of acoustics. The sorta odd thing is that I mostly play a Jay Turser Jay Jr. acoustic beater because it's always out. When I do play in public, it's always my Ibanez acoustic.
                            Last edited by DeepEnd; 07-15-2014, 04:10 PM.
                            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I got down to three electrics, an acoustic, and a bass this year only to save up for an MIK Alvarez Tele, which I traded for my Lag Imperator the next week. I've owned over fifty guitars in all. I am seriously looking at a Classic Player Jaguar for later this year because I miss my Jazzmaster, but don't miss the body shape combined with the long scale.

Comment

Working...
                              X