What performance defines electric guitar for you?

knotty

• Members

Unfortunately, I can't post any important R.E.M. song because they're greedy bastards who block most of their music from being on Youtube, so the next best thing for me is...

Even if Clapton isn't my favorite, this album defines guitar tone and electric guitar for me.

BTW, Admins, the Youtube function is broken.

• Members

Hell, that's tough to narrow down.

So many favorites: SRV's "Tin Pan Alley", his El Mocambo performance of "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" any number of Gary Moore's "Parisienne Walkways" live performances, Santana's "Europa"; Zeppelin's "Since I Been Lovin' You", David Gilmour's angry, majestic "Comfortably Numb" from the Pulse DVD.

But probably my favorite electric guitar performance is Duane Allman's lead on Boz Scaggs' cover of Felton Robinson's "Loan Me a Dime". What a wonderful, structured performance that works with the band so well and gains propulsive momentum as it goes on.

[video=youtube;85v4T-Q51io]

[video=youtube;Npb_TKEwjPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npb_TKEwjPs

[video=youtube;vkUpfw4Hf3w]

​[video=youtube;SVI7ZDDQXKA]

​[video=youtube;_ZiN_NqT-Us]

​[video=youtube;xNHxTWOKvgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHxTWOKvgM

​[video=youtube;oTFvAvsHC_Y]

• Members

Hendrix at Monterey, whole set. Kicked butt on anything he did at Woodstock, IMO, and changed electric guitar as we know it. Watch the crowd when he finishes, they looked confused as if they just witnessed something totally out of this world, and they did.

• Members
For me

Hendrix - Star spangled banner - Woodstock

I happened to see him at Second Annual Northern California Folk Rock Festival (mouthful, eh?) end of May, before Woodstock. Free very HQ reality altering substances.... Started playing that and I thought "That sort of sounds familiar... but...". He was God that day, or at least close enough not to matter....

• Members

I just have to say Hendrix despite it being a cliche.

This was the moment that changed everything, it wasn''t the festival performances, it was this:-

[video=youtube_share;6t4qXH_YaBs]

Hendrix took an instrument other people simply "played" and made it an extension of himself, in some strange syneasthetic way it became his expression, his voice. he din't just play it, he communicated himself through it.

Without Hendrix it is hard to say where guitar would have gone, but it sure as heck wouldn't be where it is today.

I

• Members
I just have to say Hendrix despite it being a cliche.

This was the moment that changed everything, it wasn''t the festival performances, it was this:-

[video=youtube_share;6t4qXH_YaBs]

Hendrix took an instrument other people simply "played" and made it an extension of himself, in some strange syneasthetic way it became his expression, his voice. he din't just play it, he communicated himself through it.

Without Hendrix it is hard to say where guitar would have gone, but it sure as heck wouldn't be where it is today.

I

Good to see old CSM again. I wonder how hes doing now?

• Members

First thing that jumps to my mind is Live at Leeds, deluxe edition with the whole Tommy performance. For one, I think that guitar sound is about as good as an electric guitar can sound. And two, even though there are (arguably, and I would argue this) superior rock operas or extended rock narrative pieces, Tommy is pretty much all guitar, bass, drums, and voice. And it was the first of its kind. Sure Hendrix played beautifully and all that, but Pete made the electric guitar into the conductor, the orchestra, the scenery, the actors, and the script. For me, that's why that album defines the electric guitar.

Disclaimer - I am well aware that the studio version of Tommy contains lots of acoustic guitar, and less electric than even Pete intended. That is another reason why I have to go with a live Tommy.

• Members

Great question. For me it is: The Beatles recording of Ticket to Ride, The Who Live at Leeds. The entire original LP. Keith Richards' intro on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers. I love clean, drone and growl.

• Members

No longer a weedhead so Hendrix is a little raw for me. I prefer players that can wail in context. More to marvel at IMO.

Players with scores of ear turning examples each and in no particular order:

Greg Howe

Larry Carlton

Robben Ford

Scott Henderson

Landau

Govan

Gambale

Graydon

on and on...

Archived