Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What performance defines electric guitar for you?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What performance defines electric guitar for you?

For me

Hendrix - Star spangled banner - Woodstock
    Don't pick a fight with an old man,
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Too many moments, too many great players and too many great styles to name just one.
    But I have to agree about Jimi's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner , as one of the greatest guitar moments ever recorded.
    Guns don't kill people .... Fathers with beautiful Daughters do !!!!

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't post any important R.E.M. song because they're greedy bastards who block most of their music from being on Youtube, so the next best thing for me is...

http://youtu.be/rUUEtCBhn_Q

Even if Clapton isn't my favorite, this album defines guitar tone and electric guitar for me.

BTW, Admins, the Youtube function is broken.
      Last edited by Bucksstudent; 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Hell, that's tough to narrow down.

So many favorites: SRV's "Tin Pan Alley", his El Mocambo performance of "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" any number of Gary Moore's "Parisienne Walkways" live performances, Santana's "Europa"; Zeppelin's "Since I Been Lovin' You", David Gilmour's angry, majestic "Comfortably Numb" from the Pulse DVD.

But probably my favorite electric guitar performance is Duane Allman's lead on Boz Scaggs' cover of Felton Robinson's "Loan Me a Dime". What a wonderful, structured performance that works with the band so well and gains propulsive momentum as it goes on.

Last edited by gdsmithtx; 07-12-2014, 09:16 PM.
        Vintage Sunburst Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | 3TS Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran Bucket acoustic-electric | Fender Super Champ XD: Eminence Ragin' Cajun; JJ Tubes | Fender G-Dec III 30: Eminence Ragin' Cajun

Comment

Hendrix at Monterey, whole set. Kicked butt on anything he did at Woodstock, IMO, and changed electric guitar as we know it. Watch the crowd when he finishes, they looked confused as if they just witnessed something totally out of this world, and they did.
          One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Originally posted by knotty View Post
            For me

Hendrix - Star spangled banner - Woodstock
            I happened to see him at Second Annual Northern California Folk Rock Festival (mouthful, eh?) end of May, before Woodstock. Free very HQ reality altering substances.... Started playing that and I thought "That sort of sounds familiar... but...". He was God that day, or at least close enough not to matter....
            I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
            Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

I just have to say Hendrix despite it being a cliche.
              This was the moment that changed everything, it wasn''t the festival performances, it was this:-

Hendrix took an instrument other people simply "played" and made it an extension of himself, in some strange syneasthetic way it became his expression, his voice. he din't just play it, he communicated himself through it.

Without Hendrix it is hard to say where guitar would have gone, but it sure as heck wouldn't be where it is today.
              I
              Less is more

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post
                I just have to say Hendrix despite it being a cliche.
                This was the moment that changed everything, it wasn''t the festival performances, it was this:-

Hendrix took an instrument other people simply "played" and made it an extension of himself, in some strange syneasthetic way it became his expression, his voice. he din't just play it, he communicated himself through it.

Without Hendrix it is hard to say where guitar would have gone, but it sure as heck wouldn't be where it is today.
                I

Good to see old CSM again. I wonder how hes doing now?
                Don't pick a fight with an old man,
                If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Comment

I'll go with the old masters Les Paul and Chet Atkins

Comment

First thing that jumps to my mind is Live at Leeds, deluxe edition with the whole Tommy performance. For one, I think that guitar sound is about as good as an electric guitar can sound. And two, even though there are (arguably, and I would argue this) superior rock operas or extended rock narrative pieces, Tommy is pretty much all guitar, bass, drums, and voice. And it was the first of its kind. Sure Hendrix played beautifully and all that, but Pete made the electric guitar into the conductor, the orchestra, the scenery, the actors, and the script. For me, that's why that album defines the electric guitar.

Disclaimer - I am well aware that the studio version of Tommy contains lots of acoustic guitar, and less electric than even Pete intended. That is another reason why I have to go with a live Tommy.
                    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
                      I'll go with the old masters Les Paul and Chet Atkins

Two of my hero's for sure. That folding guitar at the end is interesting!
                      Listen...

Comment

Great question. For me it is: The Beatles recording of Ticket to Ride, The Who Live at Leeds. The entire original LP. Keith Richards' intro on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers. I love clean, drone and growl.
                        ******* Agile AD2300, Fender/Squier CIC/MIM Duo-Master, Squier VM Thinline Telecaster w/ Wilde Bill Keystones p-ups. ***********************

Comment

always brings out the goose bumps even after all these years

Consternoon Aftable

Comment

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

Johnny Mac

I saw him live in 72 and then had to have an electric.

Comment

Working...
                              X