Moving to the land of ice hockey.

billybilly

• Members

My Dad lives in Canada and while cognitively fine, is requiring a little help in his twilight years and having a Canadian passport, I'll be moving over to help him out. So, I've sold all but my best strat and my Les Paul. I do not have an amp, acoustic, nothing but the two. In short, I'm looking forward to shopping at reasonable prices. I'm pretty certain they'll be a Martin Acoustic in my arsenal very soon. Not sure about which amp to get? I did like my Bugera V22 but will keep an open mind. Some guy on the local classifieds where I'll be living is selling a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 which looks interesting.

Bit of bad timing work wise as I recently got promoted but my qualifications are fully transferable and I'm financially stable so next week, off I go!

• Members

Good on you for taking care of your dad. I looked in on mom once a week near the end but I wish I'd been able to be closer to her. No advice on amps, unfortunately. Where in Canada are you going? The only city there I've been to is Winnipeg.

• Members
Good on you for taking care of your dad. I looked in on mom once a week near the end but I wish I'd been able to be closer to her. No advice on amps' date=' unfortunately. Where in Canada are you going? The only city there I've been to is Winnipeg.[/quote']

It's in British Columbia in a city named Kelowna which has around 125,000 people. I've been there, it's nice and luckily not near as cold as Winnipeg but cold compared to Brisbane. It's 21C or 70F here today and that's a common winter temperature. Not so in Canada.

• Members

I know Vancouver ,Abbotsford and Chilliwack,but I've never been to that area. My friends all say it's really a beautiful place.

It's good you're able to spend time with your Dad when he needs help. All the best to you

ps

I've got a daughter in Edmonton so stay on your own side of the mountains

• Members
I know Vancouver ,Abbotsford and Chilliwack,but I've never been to that area. My friends all say it's really a beautiful place.

It's good you're able to spend time with your Dad when he needs help. All the best to you

ps

I've got a daughter in Edmonton so stay on your own side of the mountains

Thanks, you're daughter is safe, lol.

I'll look into those Traynors, forgot about them cx04332

• Members

Yes - people are fundamentally very similar to Canadians here. Auckland where I live is a lot like Vancouver, minus the gigantic mountains and a bit warmer in winter.

The South Island has the snow-capped alps and glaciers, so definite similarities to western Canada.

• Members

It's in British Columbia in a city named Kelowna which has around 125,000 people. I've been there, it's nice and luckily not near as cold as Winnipeg but cold compared to Brisbane. It's 21C or 70F here today and that's a common winter temperature. Not so in Canada.

I'm in Vernon just north of you. Warming up nice here. Calling for 90s this week.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...wna+bc+weather

• Members

I'm in Vernon just north of you. Warming up nice here. Calling for 90s this week.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...wna+bc+weather

Small world, Vernon will be just up the road from me. I've swam in Kalamalka lake and jumped off cliffs into that milky coloured water. People find it hard to believe that the summers do get warm albeit short lasting comparatively speaking. I don't mind the cold there, it's a dry cold, which isn't so bad. Enclosed a pic of the lake there. I've been looking at the classifieds on Castanet. Any good gear stores in the valley?

fetch?filedataid=101985

• Members

Someone posted a thread that this place was mellow. I'm gonna spice it up a bit:

First: Who says Canada is the land of ice hockey? A Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup in ages. Two teams from Southern California have won it in the past eight years and one, the LA Kings, have won it twice in the last three years with Chicago (may as well be in Canada) winning last year.

Land of ice hockey...Is Southern California...Eh?

On a more serious note: That is a far move, especially going from Australia to Canada, and from a climate much like SoCal's to one that is rainy. Gonna be a big adjustment for you. Good on you for doing it to help out pops. Best of luck!

• Members

Small world, Vernon will be just up the road from me. I've swam in Kalamalka lake and jumped off cliffs into that milky coloured water. People find it hard to believe that the summers do get warm albeit short lasting comparatively speaking. I don't mind the cold there, it's a dry cold, which isn't so bad. Enclosed a pic of the lake there. I've been looking at the classifieds on Castanet. Any good gear stores in the valley?

fetch?filedataid=101985

Wentworth Music is the Fender Gibson dealer in Kelowna. Best Buy also but they don't have the amount of accessories. A few other small off brand shops around town.

• Members
Someone posted a thread that this place was mellow. I'm gonna spice it up a bit:

First: Who says Canada is the land of ice hockey? A Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup in ages. Two teams from Southern California have won it in the past eight years and one, the LA Kings, have won it twice in the last three years with Chicago (may as well be in Canada) winning last year.

Land of ice hockey...Is Southern California...Eh?

On a more serious note: That is a far move, especially going from Australia to Canada, and from a climate much like SoCal's to one that is rainy. Gonna be a big adjustment for you. Good on you for doing it to help out pops. Best of luck!

Okay, I'll bite having a Canadian passport, even though I'm Aussie. Most teams players originated from Canada but for the most part, the larger population in America can facilitate more teams financially. Most of the NHL players originated from Canada. Here's a couple of recent powerhouse teams that have won Stanley Cups. You'll find most teams have similar percentages, at least those who have been successful.

LA Kings Roster 2014

14 Canadians

5 Americans

2 Swedish

1 Russian

Boston Bruins Roster 2014

13 Canadians

3 Swedish

1 American

1 Slovakian

1 Finnish

1 Dutch

fetch?filedataid=101999

• Members

I just wanted to chime in (from So Cal) and say that I love seeing the Los Angeles Kings being discussed on a guitar message board. The past 3 years have been amazing and long overdue. LA had a few more Americans on the 2012 if I remember correctly but the NHL is largely made up of Canadian players.

As far as Canada goes, you're lucky you are moving to one of the warmer areas of Canada. It sounds like you at least like hockey on some level so enjoy that. I love it and while I would never choose to live in Canada, I'd absolutely enjoy myself if I had to. Canada has great people and the places I've been are absolutely beautiful. My Mom is a Canadian citizen and we traveled to Ontario quite frequently when I was a kid. I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto a few years back too.

Good luck!

• Members

^^^^^^^ I follow hockey with a few mates down here, a couple play in a league here, I find it unlikely it would be competitive but they enjoy it. Yes, much warmer than the other side of Canada. I went to Winnipeg once and it was minus 40 or something ridiculous. No thanks.

• Members

Don't forget those idiots drive on the right very-happy.png' alt='16x16_man-very-happy.png.58f4fc7892e8041ddc6575c8d5db3ad6.png' alt='very-happy'>.png'>

and I'll bet you an e-beer you get into the wrong side of the car at least 3 times!

(and they have "jaywalking" laws which caught me out when I first moved there)

Otherwise it is like being in America without the bad parts ( guns etc )

Archived