Best Tele under $1000 for Rock

Grayson73

• Members

I'd go either Tele Deluxe or Custom. With the Deluxe, you have two humbuckers, but the Custom has a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge.

I have the Tele Deluxe, which is $799 new, but I got mine in a trade. The previous owner upgraded the saddles to brass, put 500k pots in, and switched out the toggle switch. It rocks, but is great for Jazz, Country, and whatever experimental stuff I put it through.

• Members

You definitely do not need to spend more than $600 retail to get an excellent playing Tele. For Fender and just about any major brand that makes Tele clones in the $400 to 600 range, you can get a very nice guitar that requires little if any mods to make it suitable for your own use. What will be your deciding factors will be body and neck finish, fretboard material and fretboard radius and probably the pickups.

A decent hardshell case can be had for less than $100. You might want to take your new Tele to a top notch luthier for a total precision setup that would include fret leveling / polishing. That could be close to $200 for a well-known luthier.

• Members
Thanks' date=' guys. I have this G&L ASAT Classic USA Semi-Hollow Telecaster on the way! . . .[/quote']

Gorgeous guitar. Congratulations and Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day. I've thought for years that Teles were butt ugly but I keep seeing ones that make me change my mind. Yours is one of them. philthumb

• Members

I don't know if they make them anymore, but I would recommend a Nashville Power Tele if you want a versatile guitar.

I have a Strat & a PRS...but a few years ago I purchased a Nashville Power Tele with 3 pickups (+ a Fishman power bridge pickup) & 5-way strat pickup selector switch. I absolutely love it. It's way more "punchy" (i.e., it cuts thru the mix better...better sustain) than the strat without being as heavy as the PRS. Like the strat & PRS, it's very versatile. I would highly recommend checking one out.

Note that there's 2 similar models - the Nashville Power Tele and the Deluxe Nashville Tele. Both have 3 pickups and strat switching. The only difference, I believe, is a Fishman power bridge pickup in the Nashville Power Tele model. (Ok, so that's 4 pickups). The powerbridge pickup, by itself, sounds sort of acoustic-y...but it's real beauty is that you can blend it with the magnetic pickups to brighten the sound. It's got a separate volume. Try it out & see if it's worth the extra $100 or whatever to you.

DSC_0204_edited-2-M.jpg

Archived