Cheap Chinese pedals and a new rig.

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

Needed (wanted more like it... go First World!) a second practice rig. This rig will be away from home.

This is what I did;

Orange Micro Terror... $150

micro-terror-fnt.jpg

Joyo JF-34 US Dream Distortion Pedal...$30

This pedal is a Suhr Riot clone. The Joyo has some pretty impressive demos on youtube. Here is one,

-_aOc4gKRbw

for $30...why not.

Biyang RV-10 Tri Reverb $50

hdqaWBF0oA4

Sounds good to me. I like reverb and didn't want to spend too much on one. Hopefully it lasts, good reviews on Amazon.

Already had an extra delay and looper pedal (Vox little looper) so that will be all of the effects.

The last purchase was a 30w WGS Reaper speaker (greenback clone) for an empty 1x12 cab I have laying around. Price= $70 shipped. If I hadn't had that cab I would have gone with a Jet City 1x12 extension cab or whatever 1x12 loaded cab could be found for $100. I think Black Star has one too.

Rig total = $300.

Options: Could have gone with the Yamaha THR10x but I just don't hear what I need to hear in the video clips of that amp. Also, I'm over the promise that, "the good tones are there, you just have to use the software." If the good tones really are there, then one shouldn't have to use software to get to them.

Also thought about finding a used Bugera V22. That would have been about $250. Just liked the idea of using the old cab that was on hand and I've always loved the Orange sound, so the Micro won out.

It was cool to find these Joyo pedals, too (there are a lot of them) and the love they seem to be getting. So, wanted to pass that on to my HC Brethren.

We'll see.

\m/

• Members

Oops, just bought this pedal, too :/ http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-02-Overdrive-featuring-components/dp/B005M0CK9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403990279&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+pedals

$28 with a 130 five star Amazon review average.

4yBf1wBm0js

whoo doggie

it's said to be a Fulltone OCD Overdrive clone.

Loads of love for this joyo version.

I'm done wallet, promise.

• Members
Wow, here is an interesting read,

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17985

A US company was buying them for $30, painting them, and then selling them as boutique pedals for $165.

Not surprising. There are a lot of internet bandwagon folks. Some forums will have shills on them that hype a product and then a bunch of people follow the lead and believe the Kool-Aid.

I have some kind of pricey pedals and some cheap ones. If they sound good I like them.

• Members

Thx for the heads up Floyd and congrats on your new rig.

[video=youtube;hdqaWBF0oA4]

To me this sounds better than the E.H. holy grail I banished from my board. Does this one have the converter to plug into a 9V board? Cause my holy grail didn't.

You philosophers.

All wine tastes the same after the first 1/2 glass.

Cheap is good.

So true, and just like cheap wine, this new wave of cheap pedals really gets the job done. Till these boutique manufacturers start giving you a five year replacement warranty f.o.c., I'm not wasting my money.

• Members

Does this one have the converter to plug into a 9V board?

Not sure if I follow your question. I feel pretty sure that you can plug a 9v power supply into it, but as to whether or not it comes with a chord, I don't know. I'll drop you a note when it comes.

• Members

Hey Floyd. Sorry, what I meant was the input jack to plug a patch cord into. Believe it or not, my Holy Grail pedal from a few years back didn't have that. Had to use it's own power source - I think they've since improved that function though. Still, love to hear what you think of the new pedals (reverb particularly).

• Members
Hey Floyd. Sorry' date=' what I meant was the input jack to plug a patch cord into. Believe it or not, my Holy Grail pedal from a few years back didn't have that. Had to use it's own power source - I think they've since improved that function though. Still, love to hear what you think of the new pedals (reverb particularly).[/quote']

The Tri Reverb has a plug for a 9v power supply (I use a 1spot multi plug). The pedal also has two inputs and two outputs.

Had time to play the new rig last night, about two hours. Thought the Tri reverb was really good. Found something that worked for me on the spring setting with the effect and level about 1/3 up. A good sounding verb, just what the doctor ordered. Seemed pretty over the top when maxed out. Doubt I would use it in that way, though.

The Orange is sick. Where to begin. If you understand how to use the gain and volume knobs (both on the guitar and amp) to get your tones then this amp really is a great deal. It has a warm clean (underscore, it has a very good clean) to heavy driven bliss, and many spots in between. The 12" WGS Reaper is right on, too. It totally makes sense that the Micro Terror won amp of the year in 2013.

Also, spent time with the US Dream and Ultimate Overdrive. Each has a distinct sound, and both were found to be very satisfying with minimal tweaking. They played well when the Micro Terror was at a more moderate gain setting. Using the Orange as a clean channel and the pedals for channels 2 and 3. When the gain is maxed on the Orange adding one of these pedals is irrelevant. Also, when the gain is maxed on the Orange the overall volume gets much harder to tame.

I have to think about how lucky guitarists are in 2014. To get that variety of tones that are of such a rich quality for $300. I don't think that has ever before been possible. There is nothing left to do but focus on becoming a better player. The gear has gotten so good.

For me this rig was a test to do the research and put together a rig that would have everything I need as a guitarist. The budget was open but really wanted to not compromise on tone and variety of tones. The way that it worked out the thing only cost $300. Never would have guessed that.

Do I recommend this rig for a player who is just starting out? Totally... I recommend it for the advanced player who is looking to improve his practice rig, too. It is a rig that keeps practice fun and satisfying. All of the classic and modern tones can be dialed in. You may need to mix and match the pedals to your tastes. For example a metal pedal in place of the US Dream if that is more your style.

A last note about the noise floor. For me the amp was completely quite. And by the way, you can gig with it, too.

Happy day.

• Members
Wow' date=' here is an interesting read, http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17985 A US company was buying them for $30, painting them, and then selling them as boutique pedals for $165.[/quote'] If you do a search, you will find out who was doing this. The person was buying the Joyo pedals, goofing them, then turning around and selling them for big bucks. He was found out real fast.

• Members

The Tri Reverb has a plug for a 9v power supply (I use a 1spot multi plug). The pedal also has two inputs and two outputs.

Had time to play the new rig last night, about two hours. Thought the Tri reverb was really good. Found something that worked for me on the smiley-happyspring setting with the effect and level about 1/3 up. A good sounding verb, just what the doctor ordered. Seemed pretty over the top when maxed out. Doubt I would use it in that way, though.

The Orange is sick. Where to begin. If you understand how to use the gain and volume knobs (both on the guitar and amp) to get your tones then this amp really is a great deal. It has a warm clean (underscore, it has a very good clean) to heavy driven bliss, and many spots in between. The 12" WGS Reaper is right on, too. It totally makes sense that the Micro Terror won amp of the year in 2013.

Also, spent time with the US Dream and Ultimate Overdrive. Each has a distinct sound, and both were found to be very satisfying with minimal tweaking. They played well when the Micro Terror was at a more moderate gain setting. Using the Orange as a clean channel and the pedals for channels 2 and 3. When the gain is maxed on the Orange adding one of these pedals is irrelevant. Also, when the gain is maxed on the Orange the overall volume gets much harder to tame.

I have to think about how lucky guitarists are in 2014. To get that variety of tones that are of such a rich quality for $300. I don't think that has ever before been possible. There is nothing left to do but focus on becoming a better player. The gear has gotten so good.

For me this rig was a test to do the research and put together a rig that would have everything I need as a guitarist. The budget was open but really wanted to not compromise on tone and variety of tones. The way that it worked out the thing only cost $300. Never would have guessed that.

Do I recommend this rig for a player who is just starting out? Totally... I recommend it for the advanced player who is looking to improve his practice rig, too. It is a rig that keeps practice fun and satisfying. All of the classic and modern tones can be dialed in. You may need to mix and match the pedals to your tastes. For example a metal pedal in place of the US Dream if that is more your style.

A last note about the noise floor. For me the amp was completely quite. And by the way, you can gig with it, too.

Happy day.

However none of this will help with tone deafness, timing or a lack of understanding of a bands cohesion.

But I am sure you " nail it" .smiley-happy

• Members

However none of this will help with tone deafness, timing or a lack of understanding of a bands cohesion.

But I am sure you " nail it" .smiley-happy

Do you have any incing of how silly you come across... rattling on about how one of the most successful musical bands in the history of the know universe is somehow not up to your standard of timing or band cohesion? You, all angst filled, sitting behind your keyboard. Hahaha It is amusing, but it is also very silly. If you must, keep waving that silly flag wide and high.

• Members

Do you have any incing of how silly you come across... rattling on about how one of the most successful musical bands in the history of the know universe is somehow not up to your standard of timing or band cohesion? You, all angst filled, sitting behind your keyboard. Hahaha It is amusing, but it is also very silly. If you must, keep waving that silly flag wide and high.

Thats not what I said, but I think even you kinda know that.

I thought their last concert was poor. You thought it was perfect, " they nailed it". We disagree.

Thats ok, I can live with that.

• Members

I've already proven your opinion as invalid. Let's not waste life.

in your very own words

"Brah. For me it was like listening to an album, spot on."

The only thing you have proven is that you cant tell the difference between a studio album and a poor live concert.

I willl leave the last word to you as it seems quite important to you. I dont often offer that so pick your childish insult carefully.

• Members

in your very own words

"Brah. For me it was like listening to an album, spot on."

The only thing you have proven is that you cant tell the difference between a studio album and a poor live concert.

I willl leave the last word to you as it seems quite important to you. I dont often offer that so pick your childish insult carefully.

Crazy much?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
those prices are so tempting....even when I don't need any more pedals. :(

tell me about it. : )

The reviews are very good for just about all of them.

Got the Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Overdrive (a Fulltone OCD clone) and I think it is quite good.

My main OD for the last 10 years is a pimped DOD 250 from Analogman ($190) which I love.

Also, bought the Joyo JF-34 US Dream Distortion and it is good. I like a distortion that is really raunchy, and this one is more polite but it's cool. I'm for sure keeping it, and it does have some great stuff in it for lead tones. I'd love to add a "seeing eye mod" to it like on a Keeley DS-1 (basically using an LED like a tube).

Got their Joyo Audio Dynamic Compressor. I also have an MXR compressor for my main rig which I think is perfect. This is not as good as the MXR, but it does get the job done for my second rig. It seems to add a level of phat gain when the sustain level is maxed. I wish it didn't do that, but a good comp anyway.

Have their JF-33 Analog Delay in the mail.

qhLMgPmtvIc

Archived