Traditional or off the wall?

JC777

• Members

Would you guys say that you are more traditional when it comes to guitars or do you like seeing a Wilkinson or a TOM on a Tele and a Tele bridge on a Strat?

I always find guitars like this interesting.

fano-ALTDEFACTOSP6ORANGEDIS-1.jpg

• Members

I'm thinking about doing a Les Tele for my next project. I dig goofball stuff like that but don't do it if you aren't serious about it. Buyers are few and far between. My #1 is a bizarre blend of solid/hollow body with an odd mix of pickups. Suits me fine. I'd post a pic but the site won't take my files.

• Members

I care most about how good it sounds and how well it plays. I used to be traditional, until I realized is was pretty stupid to not like a Les Paul style guitar just because its body dimension were slightly off that of a Gibson Les Paul. Lots of great guitar out there if you don't limit yourself with unimportant requirements.

• Members

I think I'm pretty open-minded about guitar design but like the man said, if it doesn't play and sound good, it ain't for me. Traditional designs are like that for a reason, they stood the test of time, they're good utilitarian guitars. I guess these days I'm more interested in utility than style.

• Members
All good lookers, Knotty.

That blue LP is killer.

What is the tele?

and what is that on the last fret? truss adjuster?

The "tele" is a Blade Delta. You are right, the last fret has a logo cover over the truss rod adjuster. It has a compound radius neck and 3 channel active EQ. Variable in balance by 3 pots on the back of the body. Its switched in and out for various pup configurations by a 3 way mini toggle switch between the volume and tone knobs. In the middle its true bypass. Its the best tele I have ever played. For under £500 I dont know why everyone does not have one. They play great are built great and the range of possible tones, controlled from the guitar, is astonishing.

• Members

Being an old fart I find myself getting more traditional, but if something is tasteful and aesthetically pleasing then I'm happy to stray from tradition. Or if they just fix something that's wrong with an instrument - like I'm thinking of getting a Tele but it will definitely be one with a Strat style bridge. You'd think in the half century since they quit putting covers on those things, somebody would have noticed that they're covered in sharp edges and maybe done something about it? That's the kind of "tradition" I don't need.

• Members
Would you guys say that you are more traditional when it comes to guitars or do you like seeing a Wilkinson or a TOM on a Tele and a Tele bridge on a Strat?

I always find guitars like this interesting.

fano-ALTDEFACTOSP6ORANGEDIS-1.jpg

That's crossed the line. eekphil I'm calling the GPCU (Guitar Police Corruption Unit).

• Members
I like both. Truth to tell I like all pleasing guitar shapes' date=' but dislike all badly designed, half-hearted of generally hacked about guitar shapes. The line between retro/relic/steampunk and firewood is often very narrow.[/quote']

I think that's a good analogy.

And I am saddened. I just found out that the thumbs up dude is gone. Well :thu: anyway

• Members

Since I mostly record now, my only concern is how well it plays and sounds, and possibly ergonomics.

If I was playing out looks might be a secondary concern for whatever show the band was potting on, but I outgrew my vanity a long time ago. Looks don't make yo0u a better player and smoking something that looks bad is better than playing half assed on eye candy but I'm not against having both.

• Members

I really go through my moods. When I started playing I was all about the Strat. Then an Ibanez super Strat (RG 560) entered the fold. Took some time off from playing due to work. Was on a trip and killing time and I was drawn to a Les Paul LE. It ended up going home with me. Started playing more and more. GAS set in. Then I started assembling, first a Strat, then a Tele. Then the Tele bug hit and I built 5, well routed and cut the body not the necks. A hobby, something to do to escape from long days at work for S&Gs.

Now I would be hard pressed to pick one type of guitar.

I think that's why the Fano interests me. It's a mashable version of a Tele and my LP Special.

• Members

Depends on the design, but usually I go more for traditional unless it's really well executed and original. I really dislike a lot of the 'vintage inspired' designs that just mish-mash a bunch of things iconic instruments have.

For example, I really like Bobby Weir's Hoag guitar. It's a really cool design, but doesn't look our of place and is still original.

case_jpg.jpg

Archived