What is the most you have paid for a guitar? What would you pay today?

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

I paid $750 for a Spanish-made classical guitar about 10 years ago. In general, I buy inexpensive Asian-made guitars, but I have considered buying an American-made guitar recently. I have more money than I did when I was younger, so part of me wants to "splurge" and get a Gibson or MIA Fender....but then the frugal part of me chimes in and says "ummm, no."

I'm currently saving money so I can retire early, so buying "expensive" guitars is not something I need to be doing.

• Members
Promise me that you are not astroturfing for guitar centre Scottie

All your posts feel like market research,

Ummmm no.... I don't shop at any store..... I always buy used.

For me....most I have ever paid $1450.00

Present day.....wouldn't go over $300.00 unless it was an absolute steal I could make money on.

• Members

I paid $1200 for a Joe Satriani several years ago (then sold it).

Today I would pay likely not more then $800 for a player. I buy used stuff, so you can get a lot of guitar for $800. I got a RG1570 for $450, so there you go. As far as a collectable, I would spend maybe $3000, maybe more if the right JEM777LNG popped up.

• Members

I paid $1200 for a Joe Satriani several years ago (then sold it).

Today I would pay likely not more then $800 for a player. I buy used stuff, so you can get a lot of guitar for $800. I got a RG1570 for $450, so there you go. As far as a collectable, I would spend maybe $3000, maybe more if the right JEM777LNG popped up.

Funny you mention the JEM777LNG.... In 2004, I bought #37 at 2am one night for $860 with free shipping. It was in absolute unplayed condition. After playing it for a week, and hating it I might add.....I relisted it on the bay.....and it sold for $1250 and I thought that was great. Present day, in the condition it was in, it would likely be a $3,500 guitar.

• Members

Funny you mention the JEM777LNG.... In 2004, I bought #37 at 2am one night for $860 with free shipping. It was in absolute unplayed condition. After playing it for a week, and hating it I might add.....I relisted it on the bay.....and it sold for $1250 and I thought that was great. Present day, in the condition it was in, it would likely be a $3,500 guitar.

I saw one in not mint condition go for $5500 not long ago.

As my nephews say, "ouchie."

You certainly did good, though.

Reminds me of when I bought google stock at $400 something and sold it at $500 something. A year later it was around $1000. Oh well. F google anyways.

• Members

I saw one in not mint condition go for $5500 not long ago.

As my nephews say, "ouchie."

You certainly did good, though.

Reminds me of when I bought google stock at $400 something and sold it at $500 something. A year later it was around $1000. Oh well. F google anyways.

From a playing standpoint.....it didn't play as good as the RG 550 or 570 I had at the time.

• Members

Most I have paid is $280 or £165. Peavey Falcon

I think a good guitar is 30% money 70% setup

The only thing I would buy new by choice is an amp. That's because a faulty secondhand amp destroyed my hearing at rehearsal, (it went into 100watt internal oscillation 3 feet away, by the time I realised it wasn't feedback my ears were toast) If it had been at a gig next night I would have been sued to oblivion by anyone at the front so I consider myself perversely lucky.

• Members

2500 is the most so far. But given the right equipment and funds available 5500 is probably my limit.

I've almost bought a Trussart 2 years ago for 3500. And I've see some vintage Teles that I could have gone 4500.

• Members

I got my Rickenbacker 620/12 for a series of monthly payments. That's the most expensive one I own, and the guitar I've owned the longest.

The one I paid the most for at once was a Gretsch Double Jet Electromatic, which was around $600. I gave that to my father-in-law in 2010. He barely plays it, and I kinda want it back...

• Members

I can't even remember - I bought some Jackson back in the '80s that seemed pretty expensive to me at the time. I dunno, $600 - $700 or maybe more. My Ibanez RGT42 was $600 on clearance about ten years ago. Got my American Strat back in '87 for around $450 I think.

These days I could see spending $600 or more if I I realy wnated something. But $500 - $600 for Mexican made Fenders, Ephipones, an Ibanez or ESP is more my price range.

• Members

I paid $3600 for a Brazilian rosewood Martin D28 once. I sold it about 6 years later for the same amount I paid.

I once had the opportunity to buy a 1959 Les Paul in New York City in 1992 for $20,000. My friends laughed at me for considering it. I still remember one guy's girlfriend saying: "Of all the investments out there: stocks, bonds, real estate, anuities....you're investing in MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?"

• Members

When I sold my dad's '39 Harley a few years ago I used some of the money to buy a new Les Paul. Dad and Les were almost the same age and passed away within days of each other. The guitar I got was built the same month both of them passed, so it has special meaning to me. I paid $2400 for it. This picture shows it with the truss rod cover I had made for it. The one next to it I built using wood from a wooden shipping crate that a 1940 harley came in (Dad was a Harley dealer before the war).

IMG_2330_zps45a9b77e.jpg

When I can afford it I'd like to get a guitar from my birth year, and I might be willing to pay more than that.

The most I've SOLD a guitar for is $4200 for a '69 Byrdland.

• Members

Up front, I think the most I've paid is $700 which I've done a couple times, once for a 2000 Gibson Studio Lite (special order as it turns out) in cherry condition and the other was a 98 (I think) Hamer Mirage II in cherry condition (save for one small dimple on the top back of the neck). Have had both of those guitars for over five years and whenever I think about downsizing I plug in and realize there's just no way.

How much today? Well truth is I don't really go through gear like some folks, never purchased anything for resale, not a flipper. With acoustics and bass included, I have thirteen guitars that I enjoy. Too many for a hobbiest like me I know but I've yet to spring for a refret and I really enjoy the variety. Short answer, I don't spend more than two bills these days unless I were to inexplicably sell or trade.

• Members

$2600. Master Built 62 Shell Pink Strat. Ash Body with gold trimmings built by John Cruz. But I also paid $200 to have it shipped 2 day air because I didn't want it sitting out in UPS land for a week. I was so paranoid about something happening. So to me it really cost $2800 with the shipping.

Won it on Ebay. It's an incredible guitar. I love fat necks and this one is fairly thin but it plays like butter and it's the one of the lightest guitars I own. Incredibly light weight.

I'm trying not to buy anything as my income level has dropped. But I did recently buy 1. $79 Les Paul Special in Yellow from Guitar Center. 2. MLB San Francisco Giants Strat. $800 from Fender Direct 3. Just got the Hofner Union Jack Violin Bass again at Guitar Center 10% off so it was $362.

But since I was laid off I sold about 20 grand in guitars.

Most I'd pay is the $800 for the SF Giants Strat which is turning out to be a wonderful guitar for a Mexican Standard Strat with a great paint job. Just incredible easy action.

That little $79 Les Paul Epiphone special is amazing for the price. It would really be great for a kid starting out.

Archived